Malaysia Airlines jet crashes in Ukraine

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2014 11:12 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I should read back, in case someone else said this - but even though I am more than a little cross with Putin - it could have been a horrible accident. It's definitely happened.

Wonder why they flew over Ukrainian airspace?

Anything is possible, but in this case, this being an accident is as close to impossible as you can get.

According to Norman Shanks, professor of aviation security at Britain’s Coventry University:

Quote:
“This was a very commonly used route and passenger jets fly at high altitudes over many of the world’s hotspots all the time. They chose the most direct and economic flight route possible, which keeps their fuel costs down and is something we expect as customers. They were no different from any other international airline.”
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2014 11:14 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
It probably was an "accident" that the rebels shot this plane down. They had previously downed two other Ukrainian planes and likely believed this was their third.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2014 11:25 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
In 2001 the Ukraine's armed forces fired a missile on a Russian plane (Siberia Airlines Flight 1812). The 66 (mainly Israeli) passengers and 12 crew members died. 2001 seems to have been in a very different world.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2014 11:31 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
That's the type of accident I meant, thanks.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2014 11:57 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
“This was a very commonly used route and passenger jets fly at high altitudes over many of the world’s hotspots all the time. They chose the most direct and economic flight route possible, which keeps their fuel costs down and is something we expect as customers. They were no different from any other international airline.”

This isn't exactly true - it was being reported here in Oz that Qantas and a number of other airlines had made the decision earlier in the year not to fly over Ukrainian airspace. So Lash's question should be reformulated to - what was the difference between MAL's risk management and Qantas's?

The altitudes flown over Ukraine generally considered safe against all but the most sophisticated groundbased weaponry. What did Qantas know/suspect that MAL didn't?
hingehead

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 12:00 am
@hingehead,
Here's a story about it http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/18/airlines-avoid-ukraine-airspace-mh17
gungasnake

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 12:10 am
If I had to put money on this one, I'd bet that Ukrainians shot MH17 down.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 12:15 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

If I had to put money on this one, I'd bet that Ukrainians shot MH17 down.

Pro government or anti government?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 01:31 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Wonder why they flew over Ukrainian airspace?

Money/costs, they probably didn't think there was much risk cruising at that altitude. It wasn't just Air Malaysia.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 07:20 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Since I don't think there is any chance the passenger jet was deliberately targeted (as opposed to being mistaken for a Ukrainian government airship) It seems the only real question to be answered is whether or not Russian Special Forces were on-site assisting the rebels or actually pulling the trigger themselves.

True that they weren't intentionally trying to down a passenger jet. But it seems likely that the rebels were just shooting at everything in the sky without first checking to verify whether or not they were aiming at legitimate targets.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
If the US, and especially the Europeans recognize Putin as the very real threat he is, they will do the following without further dithering:
Provide the arms the Ukrainians have requested and need to defend their land, since it is clear no other nation is prepared to assist them militarily. That they have be denied these weapons thus far is not only a disgrace, it's just plain stupid as it encourages the sort of aggression Russia has engaged in with impunity and which led to this tragic disaster.

The reason Mr. Obama is hesitant about weapons is because it would take a lot of weapons (and a lot of training in how to use the weapons effectively in a modern army) to bring Ukraine to the point where they could fend off Russia.

If we aren't willing to bring Ukraine all the way up to the level of a core NATO country, then weapons won't do much good, and might even cause harm if they give Ukrainians false confidence.

Personally, I'd go for it and bring Ukraine all the way up to the level of France or Germany. But I can see why Mr. Obama is hesitant.

Regardless of weapons, we should be giving Ukraine far more economic aid than we are presently giving them. If the current government in Kiev collapses, Russia will be right there ready to pick up all the pieces, so we should be doing everything we can to ensure that Ukraine starts to succeed as a country.

There will likely be a downside in that a lot of the money that we send to Ukraine will flow directly into the pockets of oligarchs. But it is still the most potent thing that we can do to keep Ukraine out of Putin's hands.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Impose tough sanctions that can damage Russia’s economy. These flea bite sanctions against a few oligarch pals of Putin and the manufacturer of the missile system believe to be involved in this disaster have no meaningful impact. In fact Putin and his cronies have mocked them.

The problem with sanctions is, they can't damage Russia's economy, at least not unless we convince China to also stop buying Russian gas and oil. Fat chance of that happening.

We can do much more on the "military buildup" front though:

We could bring Georgia into NATO and station US troops there to help protect them.

We could drastically build up our troop presence in Poland and Romania.

We could station 10-20 tactical nukes in Poland and another 10-20 in Romania. We're in the process of upgrading the tactical nukes that we lease to NATO, so it would be the perfect time to shuffle the storage sites a bit.

We could establish a US Naval base on the Black Sea. Nothing too significant, but perhaps 3-4 of those new "littoral" frigates and one attack submarine.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 07:38 am
Quote:
Citing an "enormous amount of evidence," Secretary of State John F. Kerry accused Russia of providing SA-11 antiaircraft missiles to the pro-Russian rebels and training them on how to fire the advanced weapons. He also said U.S. intelligence agencies "saw the launch" of a missile from rebel-held territory in eastern Ukraine and recorded its trajectory at the moment the passenger plane vanished from radar.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 07:43 am
@hingehead,
Well, it is Malaysian Airlines after all.

I doubt cutting their fares in half will attract many passengers going forward.
Lash

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 08:14 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Would NOT want to handle PR for Malaysian Air.

I would like to clarify I definitely don't assign blame to the airline - it's a horrific tragedy - but, yeah. Would never fly over open hostilities.

I think how the pro-Russian separatists (must be working with Putin's rubber stamp) are botching the recovery may be a worse crime - and counted internationally as a worse crime - than the downing. Downing an errant plane during open hostilities seems to be the international equivalent to leaving your child in a hot car.

Side note: So odd and heartbreaking that some real pioneers in AIDS research are lying out decaying in a field. One hundred AIDS researchers were aboard en route to a convention.
farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 08:18 am
diplomacy is saying "nice doggy" while trying to find a big rock.
Russia is paranoid enough so I don't think prevocational arming of border states would serve any purpose.
Putin seems to be great at tactics but lousy at strategy. so if we provoke, he could do something really stupid.

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 08:51 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Putin seems to be great at tactics but lousy at strategy. so if we provoke, he could do something really stupid.

Amen to that--he's already done a lot of stupid things. Giving those pro-Russian meiliamen a SAM11 was one of them. From the disarray in Russian news outlest immediately after the event, it seems to me that this caught those clowns completely flat-footed. They were so dense they didn't see someting like this coming, and now they don't know how to react.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 09:03 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
diplomacy is saying "nice doggy" while trying to find a big rock.
Russia is paranoid enough so I don't think prevocational arming of border states would serve any purpose.

If we react to Putin's aggression, that is hardly a provocation on our part.

Putin is more likely to invade a country that he regards as defenseless than he is to invade a country that is able to offer real resistance to his aggression. And we owe it to our allies to ensure their protection.

Also, Putin is more likely to take our views into account if he knows that every time he does something that we dislike, we will do something that he dislikes.

If Putin is confident that he can ignore our views without repercussion, then he is going to just keep sowing discord around the planet.
farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 09:08 am
@oralloy,
Quote:

If we react to Putin's aggression, that is hardly a provocation on our part

That's quite a bit presumptuous. Hes paranoid and it leaks out because hes fairly popular among certain circles of power
oralloy

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 09:33 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
That's quite a bit presumptuous.

The notion that we need to just keep quiet and let Putin do whatever he wants, and we are out of line if we do anything to oppose him, is nonsense.

If Putin wants war with us, we have plenty of thermonuclear warheads to shove up his rear end.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 09:37 am
Oh yeah, thermonuclear exchange, that's a wonderful idea, just brilliant . . .
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 09:41 am
@Setanta,
Well, if you're tired of playing with your playmobil knights, you often get such brilliant ideas.