More American War in Iraq?

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 12:38 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
The reason i immediately thought of Hussein's old cronies was their operational plan--if it deserves the name of plan. Having overrun Anbar, if they had really wanted to take Baghdad, that was the time to do it, before the government could respond effectively. Their next move was to Tikrit, Hussein's old home town. I think they tipped their hand. I think they're a bunch of old Ba'ath Party members and Republican Guard officers, and they're exploiting fanatical Sunni jihadists. In my opinion, they've sown the wind, and are about to harvest the whirlwind. I guarantee you the Revolutionary Guard know what they're doing.
Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 12:39 pm
@hawkeye10,
Remember, too, that Hebollah was founded by the Revolutionary Guard, is a Shi'ite organization, and bears no resemblance to these ISIS clowns. You really do not have a clue.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 12:40 pm
@Setanta,
Saddams military cronies were never known for their skill at military tactics. I take your assertions with a grain of salt.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 12:42 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Remember, too, that Hebollah was founded by the Revolutionary Guard, is a Shi'ite organization, and bears no resemblance to these ISIS clowns. You really do not have a clue.
irrelavant. The point was that terrorist organizations can do government very well, so we should not assume that the ISIS cant.
Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 12:46 pm
@hawkeye10,
It is highly relevant. This ISIS crew don't have the backing of a powerful and wealthy organization like the Revolutionary Guard. They have not been in business for 30 years the way Hezbollah has. Finally, you're just making **** up. They aren't "governing" anything, they're just leaving the Kurds unmolested, a wise thing to do because the Kurds really know how to fight, too. I've heard the man on the street interviews from Mosul. Claiming that that's any evidence that ISIS knows how to govern is puerile idiocy--they aren't governing anything.

You're so desperate to portray yourself as wise and well-informed. You almost never pull it off.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 12:48 pm
@revelette2,
If we can't take all sides, we aren't thinking it through. Having all the facts and understanding from all sides makes for a coherent position of our own. Nothing is black and white. I like the quote from Casablanca where Rick says he sympathizes with the fox but he understands the position of the hounds. Wish I could find it, but its about having the whole picture not some blog version of it.

I am a little less dumb every time I read your posts.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 12:49 pm
@Setanta,
The ISIS just took $450 million out of Mosul banks, I dont see lack of money being a problem anytime soon.
Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 12:51 pm
@hawkeye10,
Not now, no--if large scale bank robbery is your idea of governing, i hope no one ever puts you in a position of responsibility.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 12:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
It could well be. But its their choice and not ours. I think we agree that what Iraq doesn't need is more arms and more military.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 12:56 pm
@hawkeye10,
As to their administrative capabilities? The jury's still out. A week or two of restraint in Mosul is not enough to make a call over, particularly when their clear record of brigandage (documented on youtube) by setting up of checkpoints on highways and executing Sunni drivers is voluminous and well documented.

ISIS EXECUTES FSA LEADER AL-WAAWI; NEWS AND COMMENTARY; WILE E. COYOTE NANOOK MOMENT
Ziad Fadel / December 15th, 2013
Blogger0 Share0 0 Reddit0 Tweet1
IDLIB: ISIS EXECUTES ESCAPING FSA LEADER ON HIS WAY TO DAMASCUS TO SURRENDER!!

Executed FSA secretary general Ammar al-Wawi poses for a picture during an interview on March 14, 2012.
FORMER COLONEL-MAJOR ‘AMMAAR AL-WAAWI, DEPUTY SECRETARY GENERAL OF THE FSA, SEEN HERE IN MARCH 2013 BEFORE HIS EXECUTION BY ISIS FANATICS AT ATMA, YESTERDAY. HE WAS BEHEADED ALONG WITH 7 OF HIS COMPANIONS. THE ORDER CAME FROM BANDAR BIN SHAYTAAN.

Read more at http://www.syrianperspective.com/2013/12/second-post-december-15-2013-isis-executes-fsa-leader-al-waawi-news-and-commentary-wile-e-coyote-nanook-moment.html#C27wrtqhVsvjSS8L.99

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 12:59 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Yes, the jury is out, but dont assume that they cant do it. Remember to that Maliki really sucks at it, so the ISIS does not have to be great to be considered an improvement. Remember too that the ISIS has accumulated government experience in Syria.
Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 01:08 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Remember too that the ISIS has accumulated government experience in Syria.

Ah-hahahahahahahahaha

Oh man, you crack me up.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 01:11 pm
@hawkeye10,
We'll be finding out soon enough. ISIS and Hezbollah and Hamas aren't all the same animal yet.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 01:16 pm
@hawkeye10,
They fought Iran to a stand still for ten years with set piece battles on the scale of WWI pushes. They weren't that stupid. We gutted the command structure of Iraqi forces stripping out officers who trained in the US, GB and France and they were replaced with patronage clients with no strategic abilities and little tactical training. We set the stage for Mosul.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 01:21 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:
Remember too that the ISIS has accumulated government experience in Syria.

Ah-hahahahahahahahaha

Oh man, you crack me up.
But you can't deny that they are called Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant as well as Islamic State in Iraq and Syria Smile
Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 01:24 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
So, like, if i call myself a state, and pull off a big bank heist, that will be evidence of my subtle powers of government?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 01:28 pm
@Setanta,
Sure. Even without bank heist. (With, it would be a free and hanseatic state) Powers of government: no = there's a missus!
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 01:31 pm
@Setanta,
Makes much sense. We'll won't know anything until the killing stops and then we might only know the killing stopped. Until it starts up again.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 01:32 pm
Do you think we could get the IMF interested in providing development funds? You know, for maybe something like large scale embalming and burial operations?
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 01:33 pm
@Setanta,
If you have a great press agent or are a client nation to another power you might!
0 Replies