Can Anyone Explain why NOT Labeling Meat as Halal is Offensive?

Fri 9 May, 2014 07:05 pm
So a UK pizza joint owner put Halal meat on pizza but never told the customers. People are pissed. WHY?

Quote:
For a meat to be certified "halal," it cannot be a forbidden cut (such as meat from hindquarters) or animal (such as pork.)
The slaughter of a halal animal is called "zabihah" and there are certain guidelines to follow:

Allah's (God's) name must be pronounced during slaughter.
The instrument must be very sharp to ensure humane slaughter. The animal must be slit at the throat.
The animal must not be unconscious
The animal must be hung upside down and allowed to bleed dry. Eating blood is not halal.
These steps must be accomplished by a Muslim or the People of the Book (Christian or Jew.) Many observant Muslims find kosher meat acceptable.
The animal must have been fed a natural diet that did not contain animal by-products.

http://www.thekitchn.com/good-question-what-is-halal-me-60979

I am guessing that it is the muslim prayer part that is the problem, but why would this be so? If you are not Muslim then you dont believe that a muslim prayer has any power, so why should these words being said over the killing be any more offensive then had been said "Frumious Bandersnatch!"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 18 • Views: 8,691 • Replies: 67
Topic Closed

roger

Fri 9 May, 2014 07:22 pm
@hawkeye10,
Possibly some object to the method of killing, though I doubt it's more unpleasant than other methods.
tsarstepan

Fri 9 May, 2014 07:27 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

So a UK pizza joint owner put Halal meat on pizza but never told the customers. People are pissed. WHY?

Kind of naive.... Rolling Eyes These people are pissed because they're undereducated bigots. Who cares if a particular meat has been properly blessed by a relevant authority. Along as its cooked properly, tasty, not too expensive, and relatively poison free ignore the goofy halal label. Heck ignore the kosher labels as well. I do. Neither term makes me want to buy a food product any more or any less.
hawkeye10

Fri 9 May, 2014 07:36 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Possibly some object to the method of killing, though I doubt it's more unpleasant than other methods.

normally a rod is shoved into the cows brain before the throat is slit, the claim is that then there is no pain. I dont know how much pain there is in slitting a neck artery though.

Still going with my theory that it is about words.
ossobuco

Fri 9 May, 2014 07:37 pm
Uh.. halal matters to many.

If halal meat goes to other buyers or purverers, then presumably they can do what they want with it.

I've never been around halal markets, which is too bad as I live in a backwater, but I'd respect them.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Fri 9 May, 2014 07:40 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Heck ignore the kosher labels as well. I do. Neither term makes me want to buy a food product any more or any less.
Agreed. I ignore organic and " grass fed" as well, but I do want my beef to have been fattened up on grain before it was killed, tender is good. I figured that the words are on the food for those who care, but I dont care about religious meat so I dont care. I am trying to understand where the harm is in being fed meat that Muslims would eat without being told. To me this looks like a potential selling point that was not properly promoted.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 9 May, 2014 07:48 pm
@hawkeye10,
to respond to the original question, I take any reference to anything muslim in your neighborhood is freakcity. Not yours, hawkeye, but others.
hawkeye10

Fri 9 May, 2014 07:57 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

to respond to the original question, I take any reference to anything muslim in your neighborhood is freakcity. Not yours, hawkeye, but others.

Muslims in UK almost 5% of the population (US under 1%)....if Brits are offended by 1 in 20 people they meet that sounds like a problem.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 9 May, 2014 09:10 pm
You sound like a hate toon again.
I don't care, but isn't that a lot of weight to carry around and keep out?
hawkeye10

Fri 9 May, 2014 09:16 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

You sound like a hate toon again.
I don't care, but isn't that a lot of weight to carry around and keep out?

Could we get that in English? Or have you had a couple of nips too many already?
ossobuco

Fri 9 May, 2014 09:34 pm
@hawkeye10,
I consider resentment and hate a big set of weights to carry around.

I suppose that means you take me as loopy.

ehBeth

Fri 9 May, 2014 09:38 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Along as its cooked properly, tasty, not too expensive, and relatively poison free ignore the goofy halal label. Heck ignore the kosher labels as well. I do. Neither term makes me want to buy a food product any more or any less.

I always prefer to buy halal or kosher meat. Much better tasting. Something to do with fewer fear toxins being released into the bloodstream at the time of death (or something like that).

In any case, halal is a big selling point for me - particularly for chicken. There is a noticeable difference in the taste in a simply prepared bird.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 9 May, 2014 09:44 pm
@ossobuco,
to hawkeye -

You liked me well enough when I didn't excoriate you into slivers for good reasons if I would, because of a fragment of doubt. I still don't do that, but I get to say what I think, and I am, on top of all the other stuff, now taking you as a racist blobslob.
Live with it.

Nip something yourself.
hawkeye10

Fri 9 May, 2014 09:56 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

to hawkeye -

You liked me well enough when I didn't excoriate you into slivers for good reasons if I would, because of a fragment of doubt. I still don't do that, but I get to say what I think, and I am, on top of all the other stuff, now taking you as a racist blobslob.
Live with it.

Nip something yourself.

Sounds delusional to me, especially when I very clearly said in this thread that I am not understanding the grounds for offense at not getting told that the meat was Halal. I generally agree with truth in labeling and selling, but in this case it sounds like selling organic as regular, that is a lost opportunity for increased sales and/or increased price/profit.

Also sounds like you are dragging your biases and preconceived and unsupported opinions around with you to threads.
ossobuco

Fri 9 May, 2014 09:59 pm
@hawkeye10,
I watched cattle dying at the armour plant, we were filming.

I was seventeen.

No rods.

Not that that makes any of it better.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 9 May, 2014 10:02 pm
@hawkeye10,
So this is all about sales?
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Fri 9 May, 2014 10:03 pm
People are stupid.
ehBeth

Fri 9 May, 2014 10:05 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

no surprises to be found

Quote:
While many people may be worried about animal cruelty, others just seem annoyed that they are eating something "Islamic." It doesn't take long to find these people while browsing #boycottpizzaexpress, with the arguments ranging from the plainly Islamophobic to the frustratingly disingenuous.

Quote:
It might be worth considering here that 2013 saw a significant rise in reported numbers of anti-Muslim hate crime. As Britain's Muslim population gets bigger, so does the backlash to it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2014/05/08/inside-britains-big-dumb-halal-pizza-scandal/
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Fri 9 May, 2014 10:09 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

People are stupid.

Sure, but there has to be more to why this has blown up. Social media storm powered by the ignorant? Maybe a undeground and growing hate of muslims ? Is this a form of blowback from the ever increasing repression of communications carried out by the government?
ossobuco

Fri 9 May, 2014 10:10 pm
@hawkeye10,
If there is anyone who admits to changing places, it's me, though usually gradually.

Go ahead, look up posters who have changed their points of view.

Calling me delusional, and I assume, drugged, isn't a good argument.
0 Replies