Can Anyone Explain why NOT Labeling Meat as Halal is Offensive?

NSFW (view)
Foofie

Tue 13 May, 2014 03:31 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Possibly some object to the method of killing, though I doubt it's more unpleasant than other methods.

Historically, chickens were killed by twisting their necks; not a nice way to die. The Kosher method was quick, compared to twisting a neck.
0 Replies

Foofie

Tue 13 May, 2014 03:47 pm
Since European (Christian) men tend not to get circumcised, the umbrage might be based on wanting to give a certain demographic the jobs that would be done by Muslims, relative to food preparation? It might have nothing to do with Halal food?

In the U.S. Kosher food has evolved into a big business that gets its profit from a non-Jewish clientele. "Kosher" in some circles has become the "in" thing; perhaps, it connotes the ability to buy a name brand?

But, it was enlightening to find out that close to 5% of the UK is now Muslim. It might just reflect a divine Christmas present?
0 Replies

IanRust

Tue 20 May, 2014 07:02 am
@hawkeye10,
People will find any reason to get pissed off. It can't be explained.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Tue 20 May, 2014 07:50 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Anyone who understands the most basic rules of sentence construction
knows a sentence begins with a capital letter.
When I complained about that, many months ago, he blamed it
on his working with a defective keyboard.

Something else whereof I complain is that too many posters in this forum
persist in joining 2 or more full sentences together, punctuated as if
thay were only 1; we call that a "run-on sentence"; annoying.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Tue 20 May, 2014 07:59 am
@izzythepush,
Something else that is grammatically un-fortunate
has been asking questions cast in the negative
e.g. "Sir, is it NOT true that u saw the defendant shoot the decedent?"

A former criminal prosecutor once told me of someone
who got away with murder because a prosecutor screwed up in doing that.

I used to have my own little private war
against casting questions into the negative.

David
0 Replies

HabibUrrehman

Wed 19 Jun, 2019 09:15 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
So a UK pizza joint owner put Halal meat on pizza but never told the customers. People are pissed. WHY?

That's just pure ignorance. I will discuss below what Halal means and why all humans should consume Halal, not just Muslims.

Halal encompasses more than just meat, or even the type of meat eaten, although it is the most discussed type of product consumed.

For an animal to go from farm to table as halal food, it must have lived a pure life from the very beginning, finishing a cycle of life that is permissible in accordance with Islamic standards. It must have eaten well, been treated well, and been sacrificed well. It may sound good in theory, but what does this all mean?

The kind of treatment and feed an animal receives during its life is important. It should be not be abused, mistreated or caused any pain. It should not be confined to an area where it cannot move or walk normally or get fresh air. It should be fed clean water and food that is appropriate and absolutely never fed another animal or products that contain the by-products of other animals.

As an animal should be treated well during its life, it should also be treated well at the time it is sacrificed for us. The slaughter should never be done in the presence of other animals and the animal should be made comfortable as it is positioned for the sacrifice. The act of the sacrifice should be done with a sharp object, so as to accelerate the process and reduce the pain suffered by the animal as much as possible. I believe you mentioned this in your original post.

While Halal slaughtering, we firstly cut the front part of neck i.e. The wind pipe, vessels of the neck and All arteries and veins because the front part of neck (containing other veins after the throat) is responsible for feeling of pain...
So, the animal doesn't feels pain but the shivering portion we see after slaughtering it is due to contraction of muscles and the heart still beats and pumps out much more blood and throws more blood. This process of slaughtering helps to completely drain all the blood from the slaughtered animal. It is the blood that carries toxins, germs and bacteria and when left inside the body of the animal, could potentially make people sick. At the very least, it could make the cooked meat quite tough.

An amazing result of cooking and consuming halal meat is a healthy meat in which the resulting texture is tender and the meat delicious. Some people say they can “taste the difference”.

Whereas if animal is slaughtered in any other non-halal way (Electrical Stunning/ Gas Stunning / Percussive Stunning etc.), animal feels more pain and because connection between heart and brain is cut off suddenly, it results in discretion of the brain and heart; which makes the heart stops pumping and beating blood in a jiffy. With no driving force left to push the blood out of the body, the blood stagnates in the veins and arteries, contaminating the blood and causing it to affect the meat. This clotted blood ruins the freshness of the meat and becomes the cause for multiple illnesses when the humans eat it.

Islam enjoins us to treat our bodies well as it has a right over us and will testify against us on the Day of Judgment for any injustices we may have caused it during our lifetime. Treating our bodies with wholesome foods free of harmful ingredients — pesticides, toxins, pollutants, filth, etc. — is not just a value desired by Muslims, it’s desired by all of humanity. It’s a common need, a common desire and a common right, and that means everyone can benefit from consuming halal foods and avoiding what is not.

Why not stop by at your local Halal grocer the next time you’re in the market for meat? Whatever your reason for eating Halal, you can be confident the food you’re eating will be a benefit to your health.
0 Replies

Levention46

Sun 23 May, 2021 05:10 pm
@hawkeye10,
Well you lost me at “humane” cutting of the throat forcing the animal to suffer indescribably while bleeding out until dead. I can’t speak for kosher butchery but in secular modes, the animals are killed instantly suffering not at all. It’s in the financial interest of the butcher/facility to kill instantly to minimize the release of toxins into the meat when the animal is in pain. Look at YouTube’s or other videos to see the drawn out horror of Halal butchery.

For non-secular people, the idea that each slaughtered animal must have its head pointed to the pagan shrine of Queba at Mecca while the Islamic Shada is recited repulses one as all the meat from that animal is sacrificed to a false god. If you’re secular or superficial in your beliefs you probably don’t care.

Also, due to above costs are about 30% higher for Halal meat than “Haram” meat.

0 Replies