Can Anyone Explain why NOT Labeling Meat as Halal is Offensive?

Romeo Fabulini

Sat 10 May, 2014 05:48 am
Some people are fussy.
For example some might not like the idea of eating meat from an halal animal that'd had it's throat slit.
But others (like me) don't mind eating meat if the animal was shot with a bolt through the brain..Smile
Buttermilk

Sat 10 May, 2014 05:53 am
@hawkeye10,
Just as Jews have certain religious ways of preparing "Kashrut" products.
0 Replies

Builder

Sat 10 May, 2014 05:53 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
For example some might not like the idea of eating meat from an halal animal that'd had it's throat slit.
But others (like me) don't mind eating meat if the animal was shot with a bolt through the brain.

In either case, the critter knows what's coming. I've done the abattoir "experience". The slaughtermen love their job.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Sat 10 May, 2014 06:00 am
Quote:
Setanta said: Consumers could, if they bothered, wield enormous power.

Yeah, as a kid I grew up on Maynards Wine Gums, but in later years they started jazzing them up and ruining them by making them taste more tangy and softer, but they were still advertising them as "Maynards Original Wine Gums".
So I wrote to them to complain, saying they definitely were NOT the originals, and they dropped the advertising campaign..Smile

Another time, I didn't like the way Brooke Bond Tea were dressing up chimps in human clothes for their stupid adverts, so i wrote to them (the company not the chimps) to complain. Other people complained too, because the ads were later dropped..Smile

"WIKI-These advertisements were stopped in the 1970s after complaints by animal rights organisations.. The last 'Tipps family' advert was broadcast in 2002
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PG_Tips
Finn dAbuzz

Sat 10 May, 2014 06:24 am
@hawkeye10,
Much ado about nothing. Halal is actually to be preferred.

Ignorance.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Sat 10 May, 2014 06:32 am
Quote:
Builder said: The slaughtermen love their job.

Good for them..Smile
I think I'd have made a good slaughterman because I've always had a healthy hatred of cattle ever since a herd chased me across a field and I had to climb on the roof of a woodcutters hut til they'd buggered off.
Ever since, whenever I sink my teeth into beefburgers I think "Yee-haw, it's payback time!"..Wink
0 Replies

contrex

Sat 10 May, 2014 07:35 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
The one letter that stood out was from a Sikh who claimed that his religion forbade the consumption of halal meat.

It does. So does the Hindu religion. To the Sikhs, "kutha meat" is meat slaughtered slowly. Some interpret this to include meat from animals killed in a ritual manner, especially with prayers. It definitely includes both halal and kosher meat. Eating kutha meat for a baptised Sikh is considered to be one of the four cardinal sins. The others are: dishonouring the hair, cohabiting with a person other than one's spouse, and using tobacco.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Sat 10 May, 2014 02:32 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Other people complained too, because the ads were later dropped..Smile
In contemplation of those complaints,
were the ads re-instated ?
Romeo Fabulini

Sun 11 May, 2014 05:28 am
@OmSigDAVID,
The chimp tea ads made a brief comeback before they were dropped again.
I don't know if the wine gum ads have come back, but if they have, i'll hit them again..Smile

PS- speaking of "consumer power", I'd like to see people organising mass boycotts of all products that spam up our email inboxes..Smile
Builder

Sun 11 May, 2014 05:30 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
I'd like to see people organising mass boycotts of all products that spam up our email inboxes

It might be forward thinking to boycott those products that will render your children sterile, ol' mate.
Romeo Fabulini

Sun 11 May, 2014 05:58 am
@Builder,
But how do we know what stuff is bad for us? I mean, there could be cover-ups going on all the time by companies and politicians.
For example some years ago a TV docu showed flakes of aluminium in the brains of Alzheimers victims who'd died, but it seems to have been hushed up to protect the aluminium industries.
Nevertheless, I switched to Teflon-coated cooking pots and pans and have used them ever since.
I'm also suspicious of mobile phones, they might fry peoples brains so I don't use them either.
I also use non-fluoride toothpaste after hearing bad things about fluoride.
Builder

Sun 11 May, 2014 06:57 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Go you good thing. You've obviously been keeping your eye on the ball.

Latest catch is GMO. Anything to do with corn is a definite no-no.

Attempted global neutering in progress. Be aware. :-)

Euro markets for your most popular products get a different recipe.
0 Replies

Marc Cobain

Mon 12 May, 2014 05:16 pm
@tsarstepan,
I agree, food is food. Kosher, Halal, whatever. Food is Food. As long as there arent any GMO's (which I'm still "on the fence about"), or any wierd chimicals... bon apetit.
Then again, this is coming from a "self-proclaimed" realist, & atheist. I can understand, & respecting there culture, yet only "when in Rome", as the saying goes.
In your livingroom, or a normal resturaunt, just enjoy. Complain if the food tastes bad, &, in my opinion, that's the only real reason to complain.
Well said "tsarstepan"! Kudos* <-(Spelling, possibly)
0 Replies

Germlat

Mon 12 May, 2014 05:21 pm
@hawkeye10,
If it tastes good...I'll eat it. Some people are so darn stupid it's hilarious.
0 Replies

Germlat

Mon 12 May, 2014 05:27 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Wow Romeo!! Take a chill pill. My grandmother is in her nineties and still smokes. She has a maid and has never exercised. I don't believe in all this pseudo-science, marketing a book or a pill crap. I'm not too stupid to understand refined carbs, preservatives, and additives are bad for you.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Mon 12 May, 2014 05:49 pm
I wonder if this is the root of the problem

Quote:
By ensuring food meets halal criteria, retailers and restaurants are making their products suitable for the UK's Muslim population.

Under HFA guidelines, slaughterhouses must be completely halal compliant.

That means they cannot have some areas that meet standards and others which do not.

The HFA says many slaughterhouses will have chosen to move to halal processes so they do not lose Muslim customers

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-27324224

" we were nice enough to let a bunch of those fuckers into our country when no one else would take them, and now we all have to follow their ways. Seems like we have seen muslim evasions before, no thanks!"

EDIT: I do believe that this is another folder in the file "idiotic things the British government does". Sounds to me like this government needs an extreme paring back with an axe as badly as the American government needs it.
Germlat

Mon 12 May, 2014 05:54 pm
@hawkeye10,
I see how you don't feel you should have to accommodate to their customs... But do you really feel the need to argue every insignificant point?
hawkeye10

Mon 12 May, 2014 05:58 pm
@Germlat,
Germlat wrote:

I see how you don't feel you should have to accommodate to their customs... But do you really feel the need to argue every insignificant point?

Point out what you consider to be insignificant points and I will give you an answer. But I am not arguing in this thread till just now, I am trying to understand where the outrage is coming from.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 13 May, 2014 01:27 am
@Germlat,
Notice how Hawkeye is now arguing the exact opposite of his opening post. At first he wanted to know why anyone would be offended by eating halal meat. Now he's outraged that so much halal meat has entered the system unlabelled.

And, instead of blaming it on business practices he blames the government.

This is why so many people think he's stupid and call him Chicken Little.

hawkeye10

Tue 13 May, 2014 01:43 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Notice how Hawkeye is now arguing the exact opposite of his opening post.

Quote:
So a UK pizza joint owner put Halal meat on pizza but never told the customers. People are pissed. WHY?
I am guessing that it is the muslim prayer part that is the problem, but why would this be so? If you are not Muslim then you dont believe that a muslim prayer has any power, so why should these words being said over the killing be any more offensive then had been said "Frumious Bandersnatch!"?

anyone with a reading comprehension above the third grade level can see that I am not making any argument at all. The interesting question is why is there even a single person at A2K still buying your blatant Bullshit?
0 Replies