Saddam's WMD Have Been Found

Deecups36

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 06:31 am
I'd respond, but one of the mother moderators who protect you might throw a lock on this thread too.

Hey, pretty soon they'll just lock them all and there won't be a forum!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 06:39 am
Maybe if you laid off the personal comments and focused your apparent ire on the topic that wouldn't be an issue. Don't respond to me, respond to the topic.
0 Replies

Deecups36

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 06:48 am
I'll do ya' one better.

I'll "lay off" you and anything you post. After all, neither warrants a respnse from Deecups36.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 06:50 am
yay!
0 Replies

greenumbrella

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 06:56 am
Ditto deecups, ditto.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 07:16 am
btw deecups, where's that provocative photo?
0 Replies

greenumbrella

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 07:21 am
A provocative photo?

Hmmmm, may I have one too?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 07:28 am
Coming right up. How would you like me? Splayed legs over back of sofa? Trenchcoat tease? Tool belt and steel-toe boots?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 07:33 am
Tarantula, my area has been in the mineral chemistry of rare earth and transuranics. Ive worked at fernald, miami, Sandia, INELL, Brookhaven, Rocky flat, Oak Ridge, Paducah, and , most importantly at all the uranium mill tailings sites and the piles of Belgian raffinates. I know of no place where a pile of enriched uranium is lying about. Even at its most enriched, its still only 5% and thats bomb grade. So your calculations assume that the end point is a pure Pile of uranium metal.
id like to see the article you quoted, something just doesnt ring true. Some of the "science reporters". like Nick Wade of the NYT dont know **** from shinola. Im not going to assault you with an ad hominem about explaining math to a dog (although I admit , my dog is terrible at math). I just wanna see from where we can see some commonality in this question.

Ive not heard of any pile of enriched U anywhere in Iraq. Further, enriching it to collect the lightweight isotopes requires a step that they havent shown existing in Iraq, even after many years searching. you wont make much enriched u from a teent centrifuge and the steam and hexaflouride , and reoxidation processes havent even been touched upon. Ive been consistently abusive of the lack of "truth" in this whole search. you know that , even if a pile of red or yellow cake existed (lemme give you that) it needs to be taken through a series of critical steps. In Niger, they mine and make yellow cake. Then its gotta go somewhere and sent to a hex plant. Then its gotta be enriched , then its gotta be reoxidized and contained. they dont, as Im sure you know, deliver piles of enriched U by UPS and dump it in your back yard. So im dubious about the entire report youve been quoting. Lets all have a looksee. if im wrong , and there is a pile, then my argument is about total incompetendce on behalf of all weapons inspectors going back to SCott Ritter. Doing quick math , assuming a 5% max purit of all U and a W/V of about 3 T/yd, a 500 T pile would be about 160 cubic yards, or about 16 truckloads. That would be easily spotted by air recon with scintillometers and more sophisticated means. Weve been flying drones about Iraq for over 13 years and we can spot emissions really easily from a far stand-off. So, if your info is correct, how did we miss this?
Ive been to the burial grounds at Hanford and we can tell from the aerial mass spec pretty much whats in each pit
This would be like finding a small volcano that is dormant but smoking. Even in an area bigger than Texas and Alaska put together, wed find such a pile in a few months of diligent monitoring..MAX

We disagree on fundamental information on this, I havent been rude or disrespectful, I hope you can refrain from any more of the ad-hominem . It isnt productive and it degrades the tone of the discussion.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 07:37 am
Damn farmerman, I was just getting ready to say that and the phone rang.......
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 07:45 am
Tarantulas wrote:
Here's an interesting chat with a weapons expert. I didn't realize that they terrorists they caught in Syria were Iraqis.

The curious lack of curiosity about WMD
Larry Elder
May 6, 2004

"Week after week after week after week," said Sen. Ted Kennedy, D-Mass., about President Bush's rationale for going to war with Iraq, "we were told lie after lie after lie after lie." Were we?

Jordan recently seized 20 tons of chemicals trucked in by confessed al Qaeda members who brought the stuff in from Syria. The chemicals included VX, Sarin and 70 others. But the media seems curiously incurious about whether one could reasonably trace this stuff back to Iraq. Had the terrorists released a "toxic cloud," Jordanian officials say 80,000 would have died!

So, I interviewed terrorism expert John Loftus, who once held some of the highest security clearances in the world. Loftus, a former Army officer, served as a Justice Department prosecutor. He investigated CIA cases of Nazi war criminals for the U.S. attorney general. Author of several books, Loftus once received a Pulitzer Prize nomination.

John Loftus: There's a lot of reason to think (the source of the chemicals) might be Iraq. We captured Iraqi members of al Qaeda, who've been trained in Iraq, planned for the mission in Iraq, and now they're in Jordan with nerve gas. That's not the kind of thing you buy in a grocery store. You have to have obtained it from someplace.

Larry Elder: They couldn't have obtained it from Syria?

Loftus: Syria does have the ability to produce certain kinds of nerve gasses, but in small quantities. The large stockpiles were known to be in Iraq. The best U.S. and allied intelligence say that in the 10 weeks before the Iraq war, Saddam's Russian adviser told him to get rid of all the nerve gas. It would be useless against U.S. troops; the rubber suits were immune to it. So they shipped it across the border to Syria and Lebanon and buried it. Now, in the last few weeks, there's a controversy that Syria has been trying to get rid of this stuff.

They're selling it to al Qaeda is one supposition. We know the Sudanese government demanded that the Syrian government empty its warehouse in Khartoum where they've been hiding illegal missiles along with components of weapons of mass destruction. But there's no doubt these guys confessed on Jordanian television that they received the training for this mission in Iraq. . . . And from the description it appears this is the form of nerve gas known as VX. It's very rare, and very tough to manufacture . . . one of the most destructive chemical mass-production weapons that you can use. . . . They wanted to build three clouds, a mile across, of toxic gas. A whole witch's brew of nasty chemicals that were going to go into this poison cloud, and this would have gone over shopping malls, hospitals . . .

Elder: You said that the Russians told Saddam, "There is going to be an invasion. Get rid of your chemical and biological weapons."

Loftus: Sure. It would only bring the United Nations down on their heads if they were shown to really have weapons of mass destruction. It's not generally known, but the CIA has found 41 different material breaches where Saddam did have a weapons of mass destruction program of various types. It was completely illegal. But no one could find the stockpiles. And the liberal press seems to be focusing on that.

Elder: It seems to me that this is a huge, huge story.

Loftus: It's embarrassing to the (press). They've staked their reputations that this stuff wasn't there. And now all of a sudden we have al Qaeda agents from Iraq showing up with weapons of mass destruction.

Elder: David Kay said, in an interim report, that there was a possibility that WMD components were shipped to Syria.

Loftus: A possibility? We had a Syrian journalist who defected to Paris in January. The guy is dying of cancer, and he said, "Look, my friends in Syrian intelligence told me exactly where the stuff is buried." He named three sites in Syria, and the Israelis have confirmed the three sites. They know where the stuff is, but the problem is that the United States can't just go around invading Arab countries. . . . We know from Israeli and defectors' intelligence that the son of the Syrian defense minister was paid 50 million bucks to bring the stuff across the border and bury it.

Elder: Why would al Qaeda attack Jordan?

Loftus: Jordan is an ally of the United States. It's at peace with Israel. And Jordan has a long history of trying to prosecute terrorists. . . . There are a lot of reasons. . . . They want to make an example of them. They want to terrorize as many of the Arab states as possible. This is sort of a political dream for the president. The worst nightmare is al Qaeda gets weapons of mass destruction from Iraq. And it looks like it's coming true.

A Syria/Iraq/al Qaeda/WMD connection? Why, this calls for a congressional investigation.

Link

John Loftus has quite a background. If what he is stating here is the truth, it would be quite the smoking gun and would go a long way to proving the US was correct in it's assertions for invasion.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 07:47 am
Sorry to interrupt your composition, BP. But you hadn't finished telling me last night what you'd do if I brought my whips and nipple-clamps over.
0 Replies

yilmaz101

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 07:53 am
Hey McGe.
do we accept john loftus as a credible source?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 07:57 am
its all fitting together.
Blatham-can you explain to me what means
"getting ones salad tossed"? Ive lived a sheltered life here on the farm.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 08:12 am
farmerperson

I'm not familiar with that idiomatic expression. Here in the city, all idioms involve either parking or chinese people. Eg., "happy lucky money spot!"
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 08:45 am
getting your salad tossed is when somebody tongues your a-hole.

I knew I'd be able to contribute something meaningful to this conversation eventually. Smile
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 09:45 am
Quote:
something meaningful
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 09:45 am
Very interesting story.

Quote:
The president said Iraq's refusal to cooperate with U.N. weapons inspectors presented a threat to the entire world.

"Saddam (Hussein) must not be allowed to threaten his neighbors or the world with nuclear arms, poison gas or biological weapons,"

Quote:
The president said the report handed in Tuesday by Richard Butler, head of the United Nations Special Commission in charge of finding and destroying Iraqi weapons, was stark and sobering.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 10:24 am
blatham wrote:
farmerperson

I'm not familiar with that idiomatic expression. Here in the city, all idioms involve either parking or chinese people. Eg., "happy lucky money spot!"

Okay, that was good.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 10:34 am
kickycan wrote:
getting your salad tossed is when somebody tongues your a-hole.

I knew I'd be able to contribute something meaningful to this conversation eventually. Smile

All I wanted was a followup from deecups on the provocative photo she was going to post, and suddenly I find myself at the epicenter of some new and perverse culinary discussion....what gives?
0 Replies