Saddam's WMD Have Been Found

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 03:22 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Brandon,

I think that if there is logical inference to draw from Joe's joke it is that any currently non-existent discovery can have "yet" appended to it....Sure, some of Joe's examples are not on the same level of propability as WMDs but in illustrating the nature of the use of "yet" it can be useful to illustrate the more absurd examples with which it can be used to illustrate its value as a rehetorical modifier.

Hi, Craven.

Sure, granted, but I felt that there was an unfair aspect to it, since it really did create this idea that the likelihood of ever finding Iraq's WMD was ludicrously low.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 03:24 pm
That's fair. But would you say that at the moment, instead of the past implied by "was", we can reasonably claim that the likelihood of any WMDs that can reasonably be held to have been a dire threat is low.

Noting, of course, my repeated use of subjective qualifiers.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 03:28 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
That's fair. But would you say that at the moment, instead of the past implied by "was", we can reasonably claim that the likelihood of any WMDs that can reasonably be held to have been a dire threat is low.

It's hard to say. If there are WMD that remain hidden, they may not have been an immediate threat while hidden, but then, they were likely only hidden because of our efforts. What I do know for sure is that some WMD are a lot more dangerous than the weapons of the past, WMD are becoming more accessible due to the general advance of world technology, and that they can probably be smuggled into a country successfully.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 03:31 pm
I can appreciate how easy it would be to bring them into the country (working with imports I know it would be very easy to bring almost any WMD other than a nuke in, and even a nuke wouldn't be too hard) but do not share some of your other concerns that you've expressed in the past about WMDs.

That being said, I think that any WMDs we find at the moment will not have either the quantity or degree of weaponization to pose a dire threat that is not posed by an average labaratory.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 03:33 pm
Sharon
Sharon wants the US to overthrow the Syrian Regime for the further saftey of Zionist expansion.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 03:34 pm
Er - I am supposed to believe that two fellas gave credible info to what appears, I gather, to be a right wing publication, that this publication has published, that the Bush administration has been allowing to hide under a bushel instead of shouting it from the roof-tops as it comes under increasing pressure about falsely prosecuting the war, demonstrating the truth of the contention that Iraq had WMD, or was well on its way - ie that they were an imminent threat?

Really, you want me to believe this?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 03:34 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
I can appreciate how easy it would be to bring them into the country (working with imports I know it would be very easy to bring almost any WMD other than a nuke in, and even a nuke wouldn't be too hard) but do not share some of your other concerns that you've expressed in the past about WMDs.

That being said, I think that any WMDs we find at the moment will not have either the quantity or degree of weaponization to pose a dire threat that is not posed by an average labaratory.

There is much to be discussed, Craven, but, believe it or not, I don't much like conflict, so I will voluntarily exile myself from the Politics board for awhile and pursue other interests on other parts of A2K.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 03:37 pm
Why does finding WMDs even matter any more? The Bush team has already discarded that rationale for their war. Now it's all about bringing democracy to the Iraqis.

Though I suppose if the weapons are found, we'll be back to square one: "See--he DID have them!"

That's the advantage of being flexible...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 03:39 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:

There is much to be discussed, Craven, but, believe it or not, I don't much like conflict, so I will voluntarily exile myself from the Politics board for awhile and pursue other interests on other parts of A2K.

Doh, I hadn't realized I was initiating conflict. See ya around the boards.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 03:55 pm
dlowan wrote:
Er - I am supposed to believe that two fellas gave credible info to what appears, I gather, to be a right wing publication, that this publication has published, that the Bush administration has been allowing to hide under a bushel instead of shouting it from the roof-tops as it comes under increasing pressure about falsely prosecuting the war, demonstrating the truth of the contention that Iraq had WMD, or was well on its way - ie that they were an imminent threat?

Yes, DLowan! Excellent point.
After all, Bush has gotten American citizens to swallow big lies all the time! Lest we be thought of as terrorists, you know! Most of the public doesn't bother to demand proof. Whatever they read from "their" side is considered the gospel truth. It's easier than doing our patriotic duty and paying real attention to what goes on.
0 Replies

Deecups36

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 04:02 pm
We've gone from Cheney whispering on August 26th, 2002 that Saddam had a nuclear weapons program to Bush finally being reduced to drawling that Saddam intended to have a weapons program.

How embarrassing for Bush and his minions.

Does everyone know that under Bush's USA Patriot Act, owning bleach, as millions of us do for use in washing white clothes, can be contrued now by the Feds as having a "weapon of mass destruction? Laughing
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 05:12 pm
dlowan wrote:

It would be interesting if people would specify which statements in the posted articles they disagree with, instead of blowing off everything with a reference to Reverend Moon. For example, how about the ammo dumps supplied with large stockpiles of pesticide? In 55-gallon drums. Not a smoking gun? How about 500 tons of natural uranium? Is that something one would expect to find stockpiled in a nation with no nuclear power plant and no nuclear weapons program?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 05:23 pm
Re: Sharon
pistoff wrote:
Sharon wants the US to overthrow the Syrian Regime for the further saftey of Zionist expansion.

Yikes, enough of this already, pistoff. Proof, links? Even if Sharon does want this, your anti-Zionist remarks are offensive to some Jewish people here who believe in the state of Israel, and not in Sharon's politics. Tone it down a bit, dude.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 05:49 pm
This sounds like the same trouble they got into by not "confirming" that Saddam did have WMDs. CONFIRM, CONFIRM, then CONFIRM AGAIN, before you go and bomb the sh*t out of another country and kill over 10,000 innocent citizens of their country. What is so hard to understand about CONFIRM? Verbal confimations from ex-patriots from that country are highly suspect, until we have some of our own people VISUALLY AND TECHNICALLY qualified to ensure any claims they have WMDs. If it means the potential of killing over 10,000 innocent people, make damn sure you're right. Killing one innocent person from faulty information is not forgiveable - in my book, but over 10,000? I hope the people responsible all go to hell.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 06:07 pm
Unbelievable. They can't find anything, so their supporters just invent the things.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 06:51 pm
Deecups36 wrote:
owning bleach, as millions of us do for use in washing white clothes, can be contrued now by the Feds as having a "weapon of mass destruction? Laughing

So did they find any bleach in Iraq!?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 07:03 pm
It's worrisome when; ""Toward the end of the news conference, Bush was asked what lessons he had
taken away from events since the Sept. 11 attacks. He stopped, shook his head, looked quizzical and then came up empty, although it was the kind of
question he must have been told to prepare for. 'I'm sure something will pop into my head here in the midst of this press conference, all the
pressure of trying to come up with an answer,' he said. 'But it hasn't yet.' "

From The Washington Post, 14 April 2004
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A10018-2004Apr14.html

"The strangest of the president's conditions [in agreeing to face the 9/11 commission] is that he will testify only in concert with Vice President
Dick Cheney. The White House has given no sensible reason for why Mr. Bush is unwilling to appear alone. (When asked at his recent press
conference, the president gave one of his patented non-responses: 'Because it's a good chance for both of us to answer questions that the 9/11 commission is looking forward to asking us, and I'm looking forward to answering them.')"

From The New York Times, 29 April 2004
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/29/opinion/29THU1.html

I'm just wondering if any member of the commission saw Dick Cheney move his mouth while he had his hand on Bush's back while (the puppet was) talking. Since the commission was not allowed to record or film this proceeding, we'll never know.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 07:27 pm
Quote:
New evidence out of Iraq suggests that the U.S. effort to track down Saddam Hussein's missing weapons of mass destruction (WMD) is having better success than is being reported.

That is sentence one of the novel quoted.

What is so darned scary here about the left wing media, is that they actually sneak into the White House and tie Rumsfeld to a chair so that he is unable to hold a press conference on the matter.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 07:31 pm
Well I think they meant Women of Mass Dimensions (WMDs), which is why everybody seems to be missing the point.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 08:39 pm
"What is so darned scary here about the left wing media, is that they actually sneak into the White House and tie Rumsfeld to a chair so that he is unable to hold a press conference on the matter."

Yes, that left wing media is very sinister indeed! Wink

"Well I think they meant Women of Mass Dimensions (WMDs), which is why everybody seems to be missing the point."

Haha! Good one Ed! Smile
0 Replies