Cruel or the Circle of Life?

farmerman

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 11:18 am
@ossobuco,
I guess the "cultural differences" answer a lot in this case.
Our zoo policies are fairly different, and Ive been told by a Paleontologist who works at the Philly zoo (he does comparative anatomy nd evolution for a research Uni), NO US zoo feeds its animals to its other animals. That, he says, is a way of preventing passing on any series of environmentally active pathogens that can be fatal if transmitted form a "Sub-clinical" phase.

As far as "cleanliness" of that picture what do you think?. It aint exactly a surgical theater with kiddies with colds all around

farmerman

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 11:20 am
@saab,
at least they are wearing rubber gloves an the kids aren't gonna spread any colds or bacteria to the carcass.

My butchers have better facilities than that and my customers would hold me to task were I as cavalier as these guys
farmerman

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 11:24 am
@ossobuco,
Tell me what the public is going to learn from this? How about those 5 kids close-in and on the right side of the pic. They look likevet or anatomy students?

farmerman

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 11:28 am
@ossobuco,
I read the article and they totally ignored the concept of managing the herd genetics and not relying on euthanasia to control herds.
They feel it is desirable for animals to experience the benefits of "parenthood", are you shittin me?

When we market lambs, we separate the ewes from the lambs in a separate paddock nd field. The ewes can see their lambs and gradually lose the connections over about a 1 month time till market time. The ewes then respond to a "post partum" much better nd they get back on feed and pasture much more docilely.
Ths was an 18 month old immature girffe. Was he separated gradually? DO the zookeepers even know about animal bonding with offspring. (certain herd animals actually develop extended families with offspring and cows of other groups.)

I am totally unconvinced about the "scientific bullshit" of which the Danes spoke
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 11:45 am
@farmerman,
They are not serving the giraffe to human beings.
Do you really think that all the food served in a zoo is absolutely 100% without bacterias?
saab

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 11:57 am
I am deeply impressed that a sheep farmer in USA knows more about feeeding and handling animals in a zoo than the director and his about 180 people educated for the job do. These people take care of over 3000 animals and over 250 species. Also there are over 1 million visitors yearly. It is a shame you have not been amongst those visitors - at least one person would have noticed how badly the zoo is run and could have complained.

JTT

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 11:58 am
@saab,
As fair, scientific and academic as Farmerman?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 12:01 pm
@farmerman,
or a non-sterile room but one with steel tables presumably sanitized pre dissection? I'm not for what is going on in the photo, but I'm trying to open my head to that is the way of it of the animal butchering in many places. Best mode for dissection, or regular butchering, no, not to me, being used to sterile lab work.

As I said earlier in the thread, if you're going to dissect to show anatomy to the interested, do it in a closed space and, would add, space with a teaching theater rather like in the history of anatomy in the first place, nowadays done with associated hygiene regimes.)

I see dissection for teaching anatomy, even in high school biology, much more so comparative anatomy, as different from animal butchering for food, which this scene was. Whole animal dissection for teaching, in my view of the term, takes quite a long time.

Interesting re the paleontologist's comment.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 12:04 pm
@farmerman,
Of course not.

I guess they learn grossly that animals that they visit in their zoo get butchered.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 12:04 pm
@saab,
Saab: @farmerman,
They are not serving the giraffe to human beings.
Do you really think that all the food served in a zoo is absolutely 100% without bacterias?
----------

This is especially galling because, again, the hypocrisy not only of farmer but of the USA. The USA was front and centre in providing animal protein to many species that had no business eating animal protein.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 01:12 pm
@ossobuco,
this kind of "dissection" is akin to Our countrymen watching Nascar. (Most of them go for the accidents).
JTT

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 01:20 pm
@farmerman,
Of the multitudes of other inane TV shows.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 01:21 pm
@saab,
Quote:
I am deeply impressed that a sheep farmer in USA knows more about feeeding and handling animals in a zoo than the director and his about 180 people educated for the job do.
It appears that your "zoo director" has about 1/3 the years experience that I do. Hes under his own microscope now. Im sure some of his bullshit is being questioned by the EAZA.

What do yu think those kids are getting out of the dissection?
most all abattoirs quickly kill and drain the blood while lifting the animal on chains before any eviscerating is done because this keeps the carcass from touching ground and getting cross contaminated. Even chickens are hung and disemboweled on a hanger.

Even with our methods we have a certain amount of contamination. Wed have a lot more if an animal was butchered like the giraffe shown.
BUT. you guys do what you are convinced is right. Just know that many other countries are looking in and shaking their collective heads in disbelief.

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 01:24 pm
To hell with all zoos and safari parks and marine centres etc, the bosses are in it for one reason-- to make money.
Beats me why anybody should want to pay to go gawp at captive animals anyway..
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 01:27 pm
@farmerman,
http://www.eaza.net/News/newsblog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=183
EAZA represents over 40 countries
farmerman

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 01:35 pm
@saab,
Really? so what. If you cannot see that qe have the technology to predetermine the genetic assets for an animal so as not to be a potential for inbreeding, why conduct the breeding in the first place. I think the message is that the breeding program fucked up in the firt place and this was the answer.

Because the organization even had to address this n issue a "we support' statement means that there hs been some scrutiny from the professional corps out there (as well as the patrons of zoos)

I cannot believe that , among the members of the EAZA , there wasn't a genetic fit and a desire for a new giraffe .

AZA doesn't breed an animal without first determining a place and a potential genic template, and they don't kill ANY animals for meat.
I like our methods a lot better.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 01:55 pm
The zookeepers had the power to allow the animal to live. They didn't give a crap. No empathy. If you want to see what someone is really made of ethically, underneath all the pressure to conform to socially acceptable behavior, look at how he treats animals.
Setanta

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 01:57 pm
I don't usually vote on posts, but that one deserved a thumb up.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 02:15 pm
As far as I can understand from the informations here the butcheries in USA shuold supposedly have a much higher hyginic level than the Danish.
This is not correct. It takes 10 times longer to butcher an animal in Denmark than in USA. Becuase of the slow procedure and the well educated butchers the hyginic level is much higher.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 02:19 pm
@Brandon9000,
I take for granted you have visited the Copenhagen Zoo and have seen how the area is and how the animals behave, if they look healthy and if they are taken good care of.
I am also sure you know all the rules and regulations according to EAZA and Danish laws about animal cruelty.