Ain't That America?

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 10:04 am
@woiyo,
woiyo wrote:

I too agree. Yet, I would not go out of my way as a Nation to provide translation services for any non english speaking person.

If they made a major contribution to the economy and you could make it easier for them to do so you'd be a fool not to. That's why it's done. Once again, follow the money.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 03:43 pm
The fact is, sociologically, that English is the dominant language in the U.S., and only Spanish is accepted as a second language, based on the number of times an 800# tells a caller to press 1 for Spanish.

And, a few urban settings attempt to allow people in different situations to speak in other languages, based on the different languages on public transportation signs.

Anyway, if more people understood this reality, in my opinion, there would be little need for people to respond to this Coke ad, since whether or not Coke had an introductory statement like, "And, in the spirit of supporting our subordinate languages...", the viewers would likely just think that the other languages heard was just a desire to sell more Coke

It is really all in the bedside manner, so to speak.

The ad was no threat at all to English being the dominant language. In a generation or two, most decendants of those that speak other languages will likely just speak English. English reigns supreme, and will remain supreme, regardless of attempts to maintain other languages in the U.S. Tough noogies to all non-English speaking peoples in the U.S. that might have other goals.

It is what it is. All other languages are foreign, even if it is perfunctorilly accepted and supported, in my opinion. The longer other languages remain in use, in the U.S., the greater the chance of developing a caste system like India, in my opinion. Who knows if that is not a goal of some people? Without proficiency in English, one's chances for higher education is fairly nil.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 10:39 pm
@Foofie,
Does anybody here know that both Coca Cola & Pepsi sell their products overseas. Both companies have (I suppose they are not called bottling facilities) been also producing their product in many countries.

America the beautiful is not the National Anthem, so that's a non issue. But I do have a question, would anybody like us to stop shipping American Cars & popular beverages to other countries. We could do that if public opinion changes, however a ton of Americans would lose their jobs. Maybe we should make the buyers of American products learn English as well.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 10:44 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
would anybody like us to stop shipping American Cars & popular beverages to other countries.
We could do that if public opinion changes, however

a ton of Americans would lose their jobs.
More than that;
allowing 2OO pounds for the average American,
that considers a job loss for only 1O Americans.
It wud be more than that, Glitterbag.

David
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 10:47 pm
I have to laugh because so many of the people who are defending the ad and denouncing those who expect immigrants to learn English, would call me an Ugly American if I moved to France or Spain and not only refused to learn their native tongues, but demanded that their government accomodate my ignorance.
anonymously99stwin

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 10:50 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Are you trying to be sarcastic?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 11:44 pm
@anonymously99stwin,
No, I am being sardonic.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 11:46 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
lets face it, finny.

you would be an ugly american no matter where you chose to live.

try and get some fiber, eh?
anonymously99stwin

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 11:46 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Very cute.
0 Replies

anonymously99stwin

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 11:50 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
lets face it, finny.

Individuals become more mature once they stop refusing to obtain knowledge.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 11:54 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
No, I am being sardonic
You need more of an edge to attain sardonic. IMHO more often you're just dyspeptic.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 11:59 pm
@Rockhead,
Gosh Rocky you seem to have an obsession with bowel movements.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 12:01 am
@farmerman,
I don't think you know what the word means, but I'm going to put your opinion in my "I Don't Give A Sh*t" folder.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 12:02 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I don't think you know what the word means, but I'm going to put your opinion in my "I Don't Give A Sh*t" folder.

Oops, there's an opening for Rocky.
coldjoint

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 12:12 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Gosh Rocky you seem to have an obsession with bowel movements.

Still in classic anal stage of life. Just look at his posts.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 12:18 am
@coldjoint,
Hey, it's not his fault that his parents scolded him for skid marks.
coldjoint

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 12:25 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Hey, it's not his fault that his parents scolded him for skid marks.

Into his thirties
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 12:40 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Laughing
0 Replies

anonymously99

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 11:00 am
@Rockhead,
Quote:
lets face it, finny.

Shouldn't be, I wouldn't be talking old man. Wink
JTT

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 11:44 am
@anonymously99,
Rocky gets +4, farmer the "academic" gets +5. Finn gets a stream of minus ones, WM a zero and so on.

I wonder whose sandbox this is.