31
   

Ain't That America?

 
 
ehBeth
 
  3  
Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 04:48 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Were thay citizens ?


are you being deliberately obtuse?
Butrflynet
 
  3  
Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 05:11 pm
I'd like to see Coke respond with the same commercial remade two ways, first with one multilingual Native American voice singing the song in all the various languages, and second with a bunch of native English speaking foreign language students with not so perfect pronouncement of the words in the other languages.
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  -1  
Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 05:13 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:
Were thay citizens ?


are you being deliberately obtuse?
Are u annoyed that I did not study them sufficiently closely ??
0 Replies
 
jcboy
 
  5  
Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 05:15 pm
The song was written by Katharine Lee Bates, a poet and author who lived with another woman for 25 years. Haha haters!

Gay Family Featured In Coke Super Bowl Ad, Bigots Attack Over Spot's Music

Quote:
Last night's Super Bowl ad from Coca-Cola included a fleeting shots of two men holding hands on a skating ring with a young girl holding the hand of one of the men. But it was that the spot's music, America The Beautiful sung in foreign languages, that has brought out the haters. So far.

TIME Magazine recaps the reaction:
Coca Cola’s entry into the Super Bowl ad campaign had a message that was, as it were, Coke Classic: it celebrated the many kinds, colors, lifestyles and origins of Americans who are nonetheless one. Over a scene of these many Americans, it played a patriotic song: not the National Anthem, but the more accessible, singable “America the Beautiful.” It showed us a panoply of American faces, young, old, brown, white, straight, gay (it included what are said to be the first gay parents depicted in a Super Bowl ad), in cowboy hats and hijabs, playing, eating, and exploring all-American vistas. It was that last aspect that unfortunately, brought out America the Ugly, at least on some parts of the Internet. “WTF?” asked one post on Twitter. “@CocaCola has America the Beautiful being sung in different languages in a #SuperBowl commercial? We speak ENGLISH here, IDIOTS.” Some of the vitriol may have been satire for all I know, but there was much too much for that to explain all of the “English or GTFO” sentiment–not all of it in impeccable English itself. To wit: “Dear @CocaCola : America the beautiful is sang in English. Piss off. #DontFuckWithUs.” (To be fair, not every Tweet brought up by a search on “Coca Cola English” agreed: “Coca Cola brings the commercial of the night: America the Beautiful sung in Spanish, English, Arabic, and other languages. Beautiful.”)


http://blogs.capecodonline.com/file/import/fb627afa-0ffa-4f2c-b6d5-ce82fa74853f.jpeg
Butrflynet
 
  2  
Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 05:16 pm
Another question to add to the mix...if the commercial had featured a bunch of ESL students singing the song in not so perfect, but broken English, would there be similar objections to it?
0 Replies
 
Below viewing threshold (view)
jcboy
 
  5  
Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 08:55 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
The song was written by Katharine Lee Bates, a poet and author who lived with another woman for 25 years. Haha haters!


Based on a lot of your posts I would say you are a hater. Ha Ha


And based on ALL of your post I’d say you were an uneducated country bumpkin.
parados
 
  5  
Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 08:58 pm
@coldjoint,
The Pink Prevaricator wrote:



Based on a lot of your posts I would say you are a hater. Ha Ha


The Pink Prevaricator strikes again.
Below viewing threshold (view)
Below viewing threshold (view)
jcboy
 
  8  
Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 09:13 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
I’d say you were an uneducated country bumpkin.

Well you are wrong again. Anyone else you would like to lash out at?

You know a" homophobic" that is really just someone tired of hearing about it? You know one of the haters Razz



I haven’t lashed out at you yet, if I did you’d know it. Your bio says you’re 59 years old. Is that a typo? Because you post like a twelve year old.
Below viewing threshold (view)
Eva
 
  6  
Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 10:46 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

"...Try to imagine how we feel, with you lot speaking English! Very Happy

Go find a language of your own for your patriotic songs!


<LOL> Best comment I've read on this subject all day!
Below viewing threshold (view)
OmSigDAVID
 
  -2  
Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 12:24 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:
"I surmised (in error) that the controversy was regarding whether aliens
shud be translating American patriotic music or not....."

Try to imagine how we feel, with you lot speaking English! Very Happy

Go find a language of your own for your patriotic songs!
My language is American.
We can speak it without translation.





David
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 01:48 am
For the whiners in this thread, the opening post identifies the song as "America the Beautiful," weren't you paying attention?
OmSigDAVID
 
  -2  
Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 02:22 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
For the whiners [????] in this thread,
AGAIN, with the insults; is it Tourette 's Syndrome??
Is it mental incompetence, or is it malice????

Setanta wrote:
the opening post identifies the song as
"America the Beautiful," weren't you paying attention?
U fail to take cognizance of 3 quoted posts implying or alleging
that the National Anthem was translated into alien languages.
I dunno if it was or not. I did not watch. I don t give a damn
WHICH athlets win. I need not spy on them. Thay dont spy on me.
It is a known fact that the National Anthem is ofen sung
at athletic events, regardless of whether or not other music is played.
Sometimes the Anthem in earlier years has been distorted or befouled
by incompetence or malice; that 's not without precedent.

It is theoretically possible
that someone offensively translated the National Anthem
in addition to any other musical events that might have transpired.
I was not making declarations of fact; I was inquiring. That shud not become a problem.
Setanta
 
  2  
Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 02:49 am
@OmSigDAVID,
If you couldn't look at the opening post, in which the song is identified as "America the Beautiful," and realize that the hysterical objections were bogus, because that is not the national anthem, you deserve to feel insulted. However, it is not i who insults you, you insult yourself.
OmSigDAVID
 
  -2  
Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 02:59 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
If you couldn't look at the opening post, in which the song is identified
as "America the Beautiful," and realize that the hysterical objections were bogus, because that is not the national anthem,
NON-sequitur !
Thay coud BOTH have been sung, along with many other patriotic songs.
I have repeatedly tried to point that out.
Y is that so hard to UNDERSTAND??????


Setanta wrote:
you deserve to feel insulted. However, it is not i who insults you,


you insult yourself.
Yea, very clever: CONGRATULATIONS!
0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 03:09 am
I didn't write "David, you whiner." You chose to take offense and make nasty remarks about me. That was definitely a case of knowing whether or not the shoe fits.

The opening post identifies the song referred to in the Coca-Cola ad as "America the Beautiful." I didn't watch the game, either. I don't give a rat's ass about professional sports. However, i did read and understand the opening post.
 

Related Topics

Obama '08? - Discussion by sozobe
Let's get rid of the Electoral College - Discussion by Robert Gentel
McCain's VP: - Discussion by Cycloptichorn
Food Stamp Turkeys - Discussion by H2O MAN
The 2008 Democrat Convention - Discussion by Lash
McCain is blowing his election chances. - Discussion by McGentrix
Snowdon is a dummy - Discussion by cicerone imposter
TEA PARTY TO AMERICA: NOW WHAT?! - Discussion by farmerman
 
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.13 seconds on 07/15/2024 at 02:19:51