Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 04:41 pm
The estimates of the death toll from the use of nukes in Japan run from 150,000 to 250,000. Add to this count another 100,000 in the Tokyo fire bombings.Terrible by any measure, but, unfortunately, somewhat low on the list of efforts, throughout history, to kill civilians (with the worst being those where the casualties were the killers' own people).

The manner in which these people died is clearly horrific but I don't know if it's any more horrible than being strapped to the barrel of a canon and blasted to shreds.

At times America has been a bully (although I don't think WW2 was one of them) which is my answer to the question posed. All nations, and peoples at one time in their history have been bullies if they ever had the power to behave as such.

It remains the case, though, that when the United States was, arguably, at the zenith of its power, as respects the rest of the world, it chose not to conquer the rest of the world. Nor did it chose to humiliate and enslave its enemies.To what extent this influences one's view of America, it still is a very singular fact.

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 05:15 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

The estimates of the death toll from the use of nukes in Japan run from 150,000 to 250,000. Add to this count another 100,000 in the Tokyo fire bombings.Terrible by any measure, but, unfortunately, somewhat low on the list of efforts, throughout history, to kill civilians (with the worst being those where the casualties were the killers' own people).

The manner in which these people died is clearly horrific but I don't know if it's any more horrible than being strapped to the barrel of a canon and blasted to shreds.

At times America has been a bully (although I don't think WW2 was one of them) which is my answer to the question posed. All nations, and peoples at one time in their history have been bullies if they ever had the power to behave as such.

It remains the case, though, that when the United States was, arguably, at the zenith of its power, as respects the rest of the world, it chose not to conquer the rest of the world. Nor did it chose to humiliate and enslave its enemies.To what extent this influences one's view of America, it still is a very singular fact.

Thank you, Finn. Well reasoned and well stated.

We have indeed been, at times, a bully...as have almost all other nations to those not as strong.

But there were times when we showed remarkable restraint...and in my opinion, we've showed more than others.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 06:30 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

Foofie wrote:

.... You might not have a real emotional connection to the Pacific Theater, since I do not think your Marines were captured and tortured by Gook Japs.

That is not only the most pig ignorant post that I've read in a long time, it probably sums up the utter bewilderment a lot of people feel when they experience this sort of shite from a certain sort of American.
You, dear boy, just about sum up the arrogant c*nt that seems to get most noticed when this sort of thing is being discussed,
You are either dense, or you do it to rile. I think that you do it to rile, personally, which I think brings shame on your country, as other Americans get lumped into the same pot.

For a start, it's not always about America, never mind how the makers of Private Ryan want to portray it. You cannot simply re-write history and think that you will get away with it.
Three whole stinking years before America even joined the fray, British and Anzac prisoners were being routinely tortured in Japanese prison camps in various places across the far east.
My uncle was one of them. I, personally, experienced him waking up the whole household with his screaming at night, not just on the odd occasion, but at least once a week during the three months he stayed with us.
This went on for more than twenty years after his war ended, until he discovered valium and other such knockout potions.
He would never ever talk about what happened, and boycotted anything remotely Japanese for the rest of his life. My dad had to hold him back once (in Oxford Street, supposedly christmas shopping) in the 60's, when a party of Japanese tourists went by. Apparently, this brother of his suddenly turned into a foaming jibbering wreck just through hearing Japanese being spoken. A copper got involved and my uncle was almost arrested.
Then shits like you come along and write him out of history. Shame on you.

1. Go and see The Railway Man (should be at the cinemas now, as it's just been released). Or read the book. Or at least look it up.

2. If you are too arrogant/ignorant to bother, then at least read this account, or try some other ways to educate yourself at least slightly about this part of the war.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1254168/Monsters-River-Kwai-One-British-POW-tells-horrifying-story.html

I do not get your umbrage? If I have emotions regarding how U.S. Marines suffered as Jap POW's, you find that problematic? Or, the fact that I do not relate to any suffering that British military experienced from the Japs? I am not standing in judgement of your emotions, yet you can stand in judgement of mine? Or, you want me to relate equally to the emotions of Brits to their suffering from the Japs? Try living your own life as a British citizen, and not tell me how to live mine as a U.S. citizen and veteran.

P.S.: I don't/didn't even know what the British did, relating to the Japs in WWII. They don't teach that in American schools that I attended. It is just not part of the curriculum. But, it's fine; stand in judgement of my sentiments. In my opinion, that is quite expected from Brits.

Foofie

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 06:35 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Foofie, who is Miller's sock puppet, is a bigot, a racist, a hate merchant. HMS Prince of Wales was sunk by the Japanese. British and Canadian troops defended Hong Kong and became prisoners of war. British and Australian troops defended the Malay Peninsula and Singapore, and were made prisoners of war. British troops were captured in the crown colony on Borneo, which is now the nation of Sarawak. Of course, British troops fought the Japanese in Burma. British subjects, including women and children, were interned by the Japanese in China, in Singapore and in Burma.

Foofie us a turd-stirrer, and a hateful puke. Like all bigots of her ilk, her bigotry is abetted by her ignorance, her invincible ignorance. My advice is to ignore Foofie--you won't miss a thing.

They don't teach this in American schools. Nor, do I care, since I only care about our Marines. My supposed "hatefulness" stems from my not being a citizen of the world - just a citizen of the U.S. Sort of like some people you must have known in your youth that would never criticize the mother church. That's me in relation to the U.S.. I bet you never directed ad-hominems at any of the people that believed the church could never do any wrong. You might just have a small degree of ethical hypocrisy, in my opinion.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 06:37 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

No it's because you're a loathsome piece of ****.

Emphasize the "th" in loathsome, so your tongue sticks out like when Elizabeth says Hyacinth.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 06:39 pm
@timur,
timur wrote:

Insults don't change the fact that Sarawak is now a Malaysian state and not a nation.

I provided it as a matter of information..

Thank you. Some people do not take assistance with a civil demeanor.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 06:47 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America...

Simply put, foreigners commenting on U.S. history don't mean jack, in my opinion. Expatriates commenting on U.S. history don't mean jack, in my opinion.

izzythepush

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 02:28 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Nor did it chose to humiliate and enslave its enemies.

Just your allies. Still troops stationed over here to threaten and intimidate the locals. Harold Wilson was forced to resign thus undermining the democratic process. God only knows what they would have done had we not gone along with the invasion of Iraq.

All those British servicemen's lives lost for a country that treats them with utter contempt.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 02:49 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
Simply put, foreigners commenting on U.S. history don't mean jack, in my opinion. Expatriates commenting on U.S. history don't mean jack, in my opinion.
But,of course, everyone who pledged allegiance to the flag of the United States of America should comment on other country's history and re-write that!
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 03:20 am
@Foofie,
My umbrage, as you put it, idiot, is that you tried to state that your forces were the only ones to suffer at the hands of the japanese.
Clearly you are not only a moron, you also try to slip out of a situation brought about by your own pig ignorance.

Your brand of Americanism, unfortunately, is the one that the rest of the world quickly picks up on. The fact that you care not a jot about anything that happens in foreign fields as long as it doesn't harm an American, proves to me that you are arrogant, and that you are an unfeeling c*nt.

Like I say, unfortunately a large proportion of the rest of the world see you as a typical American, which I believe is unfair on your fellow citizens.

It is because of arrogant c*nts like you, that Frank has started this thread, trying to defend the USA against charges that it is a bully.
Frank should therefore look more towards the enemy within to see where the problem lies, imo.

You are an ignorant, unfeeling, shameless, arrogant gobshite, pure and simple. I shall have nothing more to do with you.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 03:29 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:
Like I say, unfortunately a large proportion of the rest of the world see you as a typical American, which I believe is unfair on your fellow citizens.
Actually, even some of the worse stereotypes seem to be 'better' - and "yes", it's totally unfair, because generally Americans are better educated, less ignorant, not arrogant, ...
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 03:48 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Lordyaswas wrote:
Actually, even some of the worse stereotypes seem to be 'better' - and "yes", it's totally unfair, because generally Americans are better educated, less ignorant, not arrogant, ...

Some are even downright funny.....

Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 03:48 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn either conveniently ignores, or is ignorant of (more likely) the more than 60 cities other than Tokyo which were firebombed in the last months of the war. Estimates of casualties range from 240,000 to 900,000 killed, with millions left homeless. But hey, they were just those nasty Japs.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 04:14 am
@Lordyaswas,
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 06:01 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I said something to the effect that gullible people who believe what they're told believe it. The Bush admin knew full well that there were no WMDs, otherwise they wouldn't have exaggerated the paltry evidence they did have. Those in the UN security council who didn't have a vested interest saw through the lies and half truths they were presented with.

I hardly think the consequences of allowing an enfeebled Hussein, with no WMDs, to stay in power would be worse than what's happening now. Half a million dead Iraqi civilians, Al Qaida running rings around the Iraqi government, which incidentally is in the pockets of Iranian government, Al Qaida strengthened in Syria and North Africa and a population who don't want western intervention whatever the cost.

Not only was the invasion of Iraq a criminal act and morally wrong it was monumentally incompetent. A half baked plan with inadequate funds that failed in every single one of its objectives. It couldn't have gone better for Al Qaida if Bin Laden had planned the operation himself

Bush said incessantly that he believed that Iraq likely was hiding WMD programs and you have no basis for disbelieving that he believed it. They absolutely had had such programs, then promised to stop them, but oddly wouldn't allow free inspections to verify it as they were bound by treaty to do. Lots and lots of people believed that Iraq likely was hiding WMD programs, and, conceivably, WMD themselves, so why couldn't the President have believed it was likely?

An enfeebled Hussein with no WMDs would have been only a minor danger, but an enfeebled WMD who acquired WMD would have been a monumental danger. We simply couldn't allow an evil monster with a history of attacking civilians en masse and invading neighbors to possess weapons so powerful that one use of one could kill half a million people. We had given him twelve years to cooperate and finally warned him over and over that unless he cooperated, we would invade. We gave him enough chances to verify that his former WMD research programs were really gone.

And guess what, as technology marches forward, the same situation will arise many times in the future. It's inevitable that dictators with histories of great evil will embark on WMD development in the coming decades, and when they do, the world will have to prevent them from succeeding, first by asking nicely, but ultimately with force if necessary. Iraq was just the tip of the iceberg.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 06:19 am
@Brandon9000,
The basis for disbelieving him was his refusal to allow Hans Blix more time, because that would have meant that Blix could report that Hussein had no WMDs.

There were no WMDs, that was clear from the off.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 07:55 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

My umbrage, as you put it, idiot, is that you tried to state that your forces were the only ones to suffer at the hands of the japanese.
Clearly you are not only a moron, you also try to slip out of a situation brought about by your own pig ignorance.

Your brand of Americanism, unfortunately, is the one that the rest of the world quickly picks up on. The fact that you care not a jot about anything that happens in foreign fields as long as it doesn't harm an American, proves to me that you are arrogant, and that you are an unfeeling c*nt.

It is because of arrogant c*nts like you, that Frank has started this thread, trying to defend the USA against charges that it is a bully.
Frank should therefore look more towards the enemy within to see where the problem lies, imo.

You are an ignorant, unfeeling, shameless, arrogant gobshite, pure and simple. I shall have nothing more to do with you.

I disassociate myself completely from the remarks some people are making...people who apparently want to perpetuate the "ugly American" stereotype.

Yes there are people who will say some of the things Foofie is saying...just as there are people from every country who will say and do things that bring shame and scorn on their nation. But that does not alter the overall picture of a people.

I often mention that we are all our worst enemy.

It would be my guess,that there is a great a percentage of Americans who are sensitive and caring about their fellow human around the world as the percentage of people in your country who are of that disposition.

There are good and bad everywhere...there are reasonable and unreasonable.

Foofie

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 08:35 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Foofie wrote:
But,of course, everyone who pledged allegiance to the flag of the United States of America should comment on other country's history and re-write that!

Not I. Other posters might pontificate on world history, and their interpretation of it (and that interpretation being the "correct" interpretation). I can't stop those who desire to pontificate on the interpretation of history that they subscribe to and want others to adopt, by virtue of it supposedly being the "correct" interpretation.

Similar to Judaism not involved with proselytizing the religion to non-Jews, I do not have the desire to have others subscribe to my interpretation to whatever. I only want to offer my "personal" viewpoint. I have no need to "convert" anyone to my way of thinking. This does not reflect a superiority (complex), nor a pejorative view of another person, that has a dissimilar viewpoint, but rather, at worst, a "contempt for the culture that spawned other's views." This might be more "offensive" to many, since it means that they are not even "worthy" of being an "adversary" to my viewpoint.

I hope you like my use of quotation marks ("").
Foofie

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 08:48 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

You are wrong about my intent. I just don't care who suffered at the hands of the Imperial Japanese, other than Americans. Naturally, many suffered at the hands of the Imperial Japanese. The fact that I did not think that the British, or their Commonwealth allies, suffered at the hands of the Imperial Japanese, is a non-sequitur to my lack of caring for others (than Americans) suffering at the hands of the Imperial Japanese.

You at least should be aware that for two millenia Europe thought of my ancestors as either outsiders, or the property of the King or Prince or Czar. So, since my family for the last 130+ years have been equal citizens in the U.S.A., I for one will not be an ingrate, nor sugarcoat the "unfeeling, shameless, arrogant, pure and simple" nature of many of Europe's Christian masses.

What is sort of interesting is that today, the most civil poster, sometimes only using understated sarcasm as a retort, is a German citizen. This might prove, in my mind, from the small sample size of Brits on this forum, that Britain won the war, but lost the genteelness that once was their trademark?

0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 08:50 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Lordyaswas wrote:

I would like to change the word "arrogant" to "honest." And, most Americans are not better educated, since most Americans do not graduate college, nor have my IQ.

I love to see Europeans hug.