Is There Any Chance Christie Did NOT Know About the Dirty Tricks?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 12:34 am
@ossobuco,
No, I don't, but I wouldn't be shocked to find out he did.

I just don't think even he has the brass to deny he knew when it could be so easy to prove he did.

But then there was Bill Clinton, and Barrack Obama, both world class liars, and they haven't suffered very much for their mendacity.

These people make up our government and they just don't see ethics and morality the same way the average Joe does.

A reason to keep government as small and unobtrusive as possible.

Let's assume he didn't know anything about it. Still members of his staff did it.

These political operatives are attached to each and everyone of our governmental leaders.

They have far too much power to abuse because we have given it to them.

ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 12:39 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
what is going on, do we agree?

I'm sort of sad, I almost liked him except for this or that.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 12:49 am
@ossobuco,
Is there anyone in politics who doesn't have a "this or that"

This, in my opinion, is the disheartening problem with Obamaphiles.

They refuse to acknowledge he's not perfect and make excuses (usually blaming the GOP) for everyone of his failures.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 12:56 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
You keep lecturing me on various threads where I sort of agree with you. Who do you think you are talking with? That's twice in one day.
We are very different but we don't always disagree. Stop it with the giant paint brush.
oralloy

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 06:26 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
I am curious Oralloy.
What was your prediction for the 2012 election?

No you aren't, because you already know that 2016 is the first election where I've made such a prediction.

I suppose I might have mentioned 2014 too from time to time, but only as part of the same prediction.

And just as before, I'm not sure this actually counts as a prediction since it is so clear that it is going to happen. Predictions are usually based on some sort of speculation.

Repeating the question is not going to alter reality and produce a different outcome.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
oralloy

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 06:27 am
@revelette,
revelette wrote:
I got two words to say in response to this, "Madam President"

After Obama's gun control debacle, that'll only happen in 2016 if the Republicans nominate a female.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 08:24 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Advocate wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:

the Obama experience up against this scandal is a great argument why we should NEVER AGAIN put a guy in the POTUS chair who has never managed anything. Previous management experience gives us some chance of learning what they are made of before we choose them as leader. Lots of guys talk pretty good as Obama does, it does not mean that they are any good at getting things done. Christie being forced to be governor saved us from making another a big mistake.

O has been a fabulous president. When he took office, the country was on the brink of another great depression. He has completely turned that around...

I like OCare very much, but frankly, the economy sucks. Despite the sunny reports from the White House, it's hard to get a full time job, going to college is now so expensive that people are in debt afterwards for years, and buying a house (and keeping it) is a huge hurdle for the average family. The standard of living has fallen and social mobility, the ability to move up through hard work, seems all but vanished.

I agree completely with the essence of what you are saying here, Brandon. Good comments.

Unfortunately, I think most of the problem is a result of our advanced technology rather than any policy that ANY president can bring to the table.

I suspect things will get much, much worse before we all finally learn that unbridled capitalism will lead to greater and greater wealth disparity...especially as the need for human workers gets less and less.

For the record: I suspect we will get a succession of what appear to be incompetent or ineffectual presidents for some time to come...because the job of dealing with the impact of technology (lower need for human labor and less need to pay humans decent salaries)...is a VERY, VERY difficult problem with which to deal.

IRFRANK

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 10:13 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I suspect things will get much, much worse before we all finally learn that unbridled capitalism will lead to greater and greater wealth disparity...especially as the need for human workers gets less and less.

For the record: I suspect we will get a succession of what appear to be incompetent or ineffectual presidents for some time to come...because the job of dealing with the impact of technology (lower need for human labor and less need to pay humans decent salaries)...is a VERY, VERY difficult problem with which to deal.

I agree with you Frank. And, this is a reason that I disagree with the conservative call for less govt. Less govt will only allow this situation to get worse. We have learned a lot about how to manage the economy since the depression. How to avoid the boom / bust cycle of unfettered capitalism. Thinking letting things run their course is not the answer. The people on the lower end pay the price. The people in the middle also suffer. I believe opportunity can be provided and education is a key part of the solution. The technical schools are one positive step. It seems like that has stagnated. The cost of education has increased. Why? Universities are flush with money. Their endowments are overflowing. This idea that less govt and lower taxes is the answer is wrong. We need better govt with the correct goals. The current govt spends all of its time fighting with each other. To what end?
IRFRANK

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 10:28 am
I want to follow up on my above post. I know I am high jacking this thread somewhat, but honestly, who cares if Christie knew or not?

There was a woman on Jeopardy recently who had a Doctorate on hopology. The study of why we fight wars. Alex ask her for the easy answer. Her answer, "overpopulation". When considering why our country is losing ground, think about the fact the our (USA) population has increased 50 percent in the last 40 years. It has doubled since WWII. We look back on the 50s and early 60s and the opportunity we had with fondness. We had half the people to feed and the rest of the world was devastated. Our problems today are complicated but all we seem to do is fight with each other. That might be the natural result.
BillRM

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 10:45 am
@IRFRANK,
You got to be kidding we are barely at replacement levels and would not be if we did not have large scale immigration.

Most if not all of the EU is below replacement levels as is Japan.

China of course had the one child per family policy.

The nations with the over population problems for the most part have zero ability to be a military threat to the first world.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 11:06 am
@IRFRANK,
Quote:
When considering why our country is losing ground, think about the fact the our (USA) population has increased 50 percent in the last 40 years. It has doubled since WWII. We look back on the 50s and early 60s and the opportunity we had with fondness.

This is a little ridiculous.

1. The poverty rate in the 1950s was much higher than we have now, and the opportunities now are much better now then they were in the 1950s.

2. The 50% increase in population in 40 years isn't very impressive. the world population increased by 300% in the same time period.

3. There has never been a 40 year period where the US population hasn't increased by 50%.

4. There is no link between population and the number of opportunities, because the more people there are the more bakers, carpenters, tailers, dentists are needed. This is why countries with smaller populations (e.g. Haiti) don't have more opportunities than the US with our relatively large population.

5. The US has a population density of 84 people per square mile. Successful, prosperous countries like including Japan and Israel have 10 times that. And some have more than 100 times that. I will let you to the math on how many 40 year periods (increasing at 50% each one) it will take to get to a normal density.

IRFrank, you are indulging in empty histrionics.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 11:09 am
@IRFRANK,
IRFRANK wrote:

Quote:

I agree with you Frank. And, this is a reason that I disagree with the conservative call for less govt. Less govt will only allow this situation to get worse. We have learned a lot about how to manage the economy since the depression. How to avoid the boom / bust cycle of unfettered capitalism. Thinking letting things run their course is not the answer. The people on the lower end pay the price. The people in the middle also suffer. I believe opportunity can be provided and education is a key part of the solution. The technical schools are one positive step. It seems like that has stagnated. The cost of education has increased. Why? Universities are flush with money. Their endowments are overflowing. This idea that less govt and lower taxes is the answer is wrong. We need better govt with the correct goals. The current govt spends all of its time fighting with each other. To what end?

The notion that there should be less government...along with the allied notion that "government is the enemy"...are the reasons why I will not vote for Republicans, Frank. I wouldn't vote for conservative Democrats either, but there are much fewer of them than of Republican conservatives...and to be honest, Republican conservatives have taken the term "conservative" to levels so low, they are barely recognizable as coherent thought.

I am not a fan of pessimism, but like I said, I expect the next several presidents to be major disappointments...mostly because I see the problems as so vast, I figure not even a Washington, Lincoln, or FDR would succeed in handling them.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 12:15 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

The "salvation" of our country?

Wow.

You really are a true believer.

But hey, how can I hope our country isn't saved? If Obamacare does it, God Bless the Dems.

Of course I don't for one second believe this will prove to be the case.

The cost of health care had reached 20 percent of GDP. When it was only 10 percent, economists screamed that this was unsustainable. Health premiums were going up in double digits, with the cost of living increases being a third of that. We were paying more than double per capita what people paid in any other advanced country. Thus, there is no doubt that health care in the USA was drving the economy down.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 12:19 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Hello?
Do you think Christie knew?

I think he did. For instance, almost everyone says that Bridget Kelly, the Deputy Chief of Staff, didn't make decisions on her own, especially one as monumental as the one made in Bridgegate. Some probably touched base with Chris before the cones were moved.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 01:11 pm
@maxdancona,
You are right, of course. But, I don't feel hysterical. 😊
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 02:54 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm sorry you felt I was lecturing you. I wasn't, unless maybe you consider yourself an Obamaphile.

Your skin may be a bit thin.

I merely note that there is "this" and "that" with every politician, unless one is a fanatic follower. You don't seem to be one.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2014 03:02 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Well, the food lecture didn't seem to have to do with what I said about me and what I buy (or in some cases what I'd prefer to buy but cannot afford), so that may have set me off.

I'm not an obamaphile, you're right on that (started out that way), and I don't just hate all republicans or independents.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2014 03:24 am
the news conference was a telling statement on how power works in our victim culture.........a probable crime was committed by his team if not him himself, people were hurt by his team, and he spends two hours on his "I am the victim here" song and dance. then he almost universally gets great marks for playing the scandal well. The abusive bully sells his victim story and it gets bought with gusto.

Priceless.
farmerman

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2014 07:25 am
@hawkeye10,
Im amazed at how we automatically assume that he wasn't telling the truth.