Is There Any Chance Christie Did NOT Know About the Dirty Tricks?

oralloy

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 08:56 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
I think you are deluded. The words "gun control debacle" don't mean a thing to 70% of American voters. This isn't even on the radar for most of us. More importantly, this isn't changing anyones mind... the voters who care about the "gun control debacle" aren't going to vote for the Democratic nominee under any circumstances anyway.

In blunt terms of political strategy, this is a non-issue.

Don't be silly. You know very well that the reason the Democrats are doomed in 2016 is not direct revulsion over the gun control debacle, but rather it will happen because Obama is a do-nothing president.

Voters tend to dislike do-nothing presidents, and they tend to put the other party in the White House when it happens.

Obama's gun control debacle is significant because that is the reason why Obama is a do-nothing president.

Obama had a huge amount of political capital at the beginning of his second term, and he could have used it to get Congress to pass a major program. Maybe environmental legislation; maybe something else. Having done that, he would have had momentum to get a slightly smaller program passed. Maybe immigration reform. Maybe he could have gotten Congress to balance the budget. And with those victories under his belt, he would have had momentum to push through a few pieces of minor legislation.

But instead, Obama wasted every last bit of his political capital ranting futilely against the might of the NRA. Now he has no political capital with which he can achieve anything and no momentum with which he can achieve anything.

By the time 2016 rolls around, the voters are going to be a bit tired of the fact that Obama hasn't done anything in the previous six years. That's going to be an easy Republican win.

Granted, the Republicans could still blow the election and hand it to the Democrats. But it's theirs to lose.

maxdancona wrote:
The 2016 election will be about things that the majority of us think are critical; healthcare, immigration and women. As long as Americans care about these issues the most (and it is clear from that we do care about these issues the most) the Republicans will remain a broken brand.

The Republicans are fine. These things where one party is confident that "the opposing party is facing extinction" are pretty silly.

The Republicans do it too sometimes, and it's just as silly when they do it. Both parties are doing just fine.

There is going to be a Republican elected in 2016 of course. But the Democrats will survive that just like the Republicans are going to survive the fact that Obama was elected.
JPB

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 09:38 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I'd rather have a choice between two GOOD candidates and not have to settle for this extreme partisanshit.

Just became my sigline.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 09:40 am
@hawkeye10,
it tracks my thinking too.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 09:51 am
@oralloy,
I am curious Oralloy.

What was your prediction for the 2012 election?
Baldimo

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 09:58 am
@hawkeye10,
It is interesting on how he handled this. The Lefty media is having a heyday with this. Although they completely forget about the wonderful memory of Obama and his scandals. How many times has Obama gotten on TV and claimed complete ignorance of anything going on in his Administration.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 10:20 am
@Baldimo,
Quote:
Although they completely forget about the wonderful memory of Obama and his scandals. How many times has Obama gotten on TV and claimed complete ignorance of anything going on in his Administration.

There is a big difference between the real scandal being faced by Christie and the countless fake scandals being drummed up against Obama.

A real scandal is based on verifiable facts, which is why Christie will never be president.

Of course facts have a well-known liberal bias.

revelette

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 10:32 am
Well, Obama ain't running for president again, Christie was being seriously considered as someone to appeal across the political spectrum.

Quote:
NEWARK (Reuters) - New Jersey legislators on Friday planned to release nearly 1,000 pages of documents that may shed new light on a probe of four days of traffic jams at the George Washington Bridge apparently orchestrated by Republican Governor Chris Christie's top aides to settle a political score.

The release would come the day after Christie, a star of his party seen as a likely 2016 White House contender, fired the staffer who had sent e-mails calling for trouble at the key commuter choke point and repeatedly apologized in a two-hour news conference.

The scandal, which had been brewing for weeks, burst onto the national stage on Wednesday when New Jersey officials released e-mails that appeared to show Christie's staff plotting the lane closures in September to retaliate against the Democratic mayor of Fort Lee, New Jersey, because he had not endorsed the governor's re-election campaign.

Christie had counted on the decisive victory he won in November to show a degree of bipartisan appeal and boost his chances of winning his party's nomination for president, political experts say.

During Thursday's news conference, where Christie repeatedly apologized for his staff's actions but also denied knowing of the move, he said he was not yet thinking about a possible 2016 bid.

Christie has no public appearances scheduled for Friday.

After his emphatic statements on Thursday that he had told voters all he knew about the incident, any further implications in Friday's document release that the governor or his staff knew more about the incident than they acknowledged could cause the scandal to continue to dog Christie, observers said.

"He's not fully in control of this story anymore," said Julian Zelizer, a professor of history at Princeton University. "Because he took such a firm stand yesterday and was emphatic that this was it, any information that shows otherwise will continue the story and force him to put more time on it."

Christie has long cultivated an image as a brash, tough-talking leader willing to buck his party for the good of his constituents. But on Thursday he struck a more humble tone, saying: "I am not a bully."

The U.S. attorney for New Jersey, Paul Fishman, whose job Christie held before being elected governor, has opened a probe into the decision to close the bridge lanes. The governor also faces a class-action lawsuit filed in federal court on Thursday by Rosemarie Arnold, a lawyer charging that area residents suffered financially from being trapped in traffic.

Vilma Oleri, whose 91-year-old mother died after her ambulance got caught in the first day of the traffic jam, told CNN she did not believe the traffic delays were the cause.

"I really believe in my heart that she was already gone when the ambulance got there," Oleri said.

At the heart of Wednesday's revelations was an e-mail from Christie's now-dismissed deputy chief of staff, Bridget Anne Kelly, who wrote to a Port Authority executive in August, saying: "Time for some traffic problems in Fort Lee."

The executive, David Wildstein, replied: "Got it."

Wildstein later admitted ordering the lane closures and resigned his post. He supplied the e-mails to the media in response to a subpoena issued by a panel of state lawmakers.

Appearing before the panel on Thursday, Wildstein declined to answer questions, repeatedly invoking the constitutional protection not to say anything that might incriminate him.

source

I got two words to say in response to this, "Madam President"
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 10:33 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:
Although they completely forget about the wonderful memory of Obama and his scandals. How many times has Obama gotten on TV and claimed complete ignorance of anything going on in his Administration.

There is a big difference between the real scandal being faced by Christie and the countless fake scandals being drummed up against Obama.

A real scandal is based on verifiable facts, which is why Christie will never be president.

Of course facts have a well-known liberal bias.

Nothing to add, Max. Just want to repeat it. Wink
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 10:40 am
@maxdancona,
Fake scandals? Bias exposed! I keep forgetting Obama is a saint and does nothing wrong. IRS, NSA and the FF.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 10:43 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:

Etc. etc., my word you love the sound of your stupidity don't you max. When lily livered bias such as yours reaches such pinnacles it is nothing other than stupidity.

From what we have so far, the e-mails in the Bridge situation are not any different or further removed or closer to Governor Christie than those of President Obama (IRS, Benghazi, and more). If Christie is to be held up as a bad man and unsuitable for public office over this, then Obama belongs in the same grouping.

As far as Christie still having Presidential possibility, it is entirely possible. For one, there are still a few years until the election, Second, the American people are a forgetful and forgiving group which has excused far worse from both parties over a much shorter time.
panzade

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 10:59 am
https://scontent-b-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1527011_703754642991808_1741177397_n.jpg
Sturgis

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 11:04 am
@panzade,
Proof? Do you have actual proof as of yet panzade? Not speculation, PROOF.
So far, as of this moment nobody has produced the documents or videos showing that Governor Christie actually knew about this.

Just because he was angry with the Mayor of Fort Lee and even if he expressed this anger, unless someone can come forward with actual proof that he ordered this traffic disaster, he is innocent.

If at some point down the road, there is proof given, then the Governor can and should be dealt with accordingly. Until then, knock it off because you are all presenting yourselves as the childish and moronic imbeciles that the rest of the world sees you as being.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 11:09 am
@Sturgis,
Quote:
From what we have so far, the e-mails in the Bridge situation are not any different or further removed or closer to Governor Christie than those of President Obama (IRS, Benghazi, and more).

Of course Christie's Bridge situation is different. I can tell you exactly what happened in the Bridge Scandal. I can tell you who in Christie's administration acted badly. I can tell you their motivation for doing it. I can tell you how they did it. And I can make a direct link from specific actions of people high in the Christie administration bad things happening.

We have an email from a top Christie aide that contains the phrase "It is time for some traffic problems in Fort Lee". This clearly shows that the intention was to cause traffic problems for political gain. And it is not just an allegation... it is a fact backed up with evidence.

There is no equivalency here to the vague accusations and wild assertions being desperately flung at Obama.

The difference is facts. One side has them. The other doesn't.
Baldimo

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 11:10 am
@panzade,
How many times has Obama stood in front of cameras over the last 2 years or more and heard that very same thing? What a joke.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 11:12 am
@maxdancona,
These emails were sent to Christie? He fired people yesterday, and people from the Obama administration were never fired. I think Christie is doing the right thing, he didn't circle the wagons to protect his ass.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 11:19 am
@Baldimo,
I am surprised you are sticking up for the guy Baldimo. He is taking flack from the far-right for his tendency to occasionally be reasonable working with Obama on Hurricane relief and signing immigration legislation.

Anyway, I am quite sure he is cooked. He was already under fire from Tea Party people and this gives them a way to get rid of him. Worse is that this story directly contradicts no-nonsense image he is trying to sell. Even if he had nothing to do with it, it kills any chance he would have had.
Baldimo

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 11:30 am
@maxdancona,
I'm not sticking by him per-say, I'm just floored by the double standards handed out by you people on the left and the media storm it has generated.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 11:33 am
Well...I am not part of the "left."

And I am saying that Christie is a bully...and encouraged a culture that would something like this.

If he were not that kind of person...none of these people would have done this kind of crap.

They were trying to please Christie...and except that they got caught...that is exactly what they would have done. Please Christie.
Baldimo

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 11:44 am
@Frank Apisa,
Does the same feelings apply to the IRS scandal? How about the media monitoring? Do these scandals apply to Obama being a bully? Seems that the federal govt has more power that has been unchecked. Traffic jams vs monitoring the media and denying citizens the right to form political committees seems like a much bigger bully. As much as the left rallied against Bush for his perceived power grabs vs an actual power grab by Obama admin is a joke. The media is playing right into it as well. Well they aren't playing into it as much as they are pushing it as much as possible. They have to do something to help the Dems look good for the Nov elections.
revelette

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2014 12:03 pm
@Baldimo,
A couple of things everyone should know by now in this climate of political scandals, real or hyped, the more you deny a thing the worse it looks and saying the other guy did it too never works out well.

Example: "I am not a crook." and "I am not a bully"