Is There Any Chance Christie Did NOT Know About the Dirty Tricks?

BillRM

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 07:15 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
We NEED Republicans to keep fighting Democrats
to defeat their social legislation, thereby preserving our ancient freedom

You mean SS and medicare and minimum wage and family leave and so on?

My bet is that you David like myself are now enjoying the benefits of SS and medicare programs that the GOP at the times of their passing fought tooth and nail.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 07:28 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
anger swamped his brain it would seem.

You mean Christie? No, that's not what happened. All this was decided with a cool head. The lesson I draw is: the average Joe is dispensable for them repukes. Who cares if Mr or Ms John Doe misses a doctor's appointment that could save their life, or get horrendously late at work, or simply that they would spend mindless hours in traffic jam? The mayor of Fort Lee cared. The Christie team didn't even THINK of them. The people of New Jersey do not matter to the governor of that state. Their life can be made miserable at will.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 07:38 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Social legislation rapes the Constitution.
David

That is one of the reasons I so loathe the conservative agenda...because so many supporters of the conservative agenda feel that way.

David...you have no problem asking that young children be allowed to carry weapons into grammar schools because of the 2nd Amendment...

...but you have a problem with the government operating along the lines of "...promote the general welfare...".

ehBeth

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 08:16 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
do you think that 80% or more of Republicans were "liberals" back then?

I think Republicans (as a general group) in the 1960's were more liberal than many Democrats today.

The U.S. as a whole appears to be more conservative than it was in the 1960's.

It's clearly a matter of personal perspective.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 09:42 am
@Baldimo,
Quote:
The south was run by the Dems until the early 90's. From the 1940's until the 1990's it was in total Dem control

And when the democratically push civil rights laws came along they converted to republicans. Everyone knows that.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 09:53 am
@IRFRANK,
IRFRANK wrote:

Quote:
The south was run by the Dems until the early 90's. From the 1940's until the 1990's it was in total Dem control

And when the democratically push civil rights laws came along they converted to republicans. Everyone knows that.

Absolutely, Frank.

And the change over began long before the 1990's...starting in earnest during the LBJ administration.
Baldimo

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 10:05 am
@Frank Apisa,
Most of us don't have a problem with the Promote the general welfare, but those on the left want to use that line to provide everything for people. It has become a catch all phrase for the libs in society to create the largest hand out system the US has ever had.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 10:15 am
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Most of us don't have a problem with the Promote the general welfare, but those on the left want to use that line to provide everything for people. It has become a catch all phrase for the libs in society to create the largest hand out system the US has ever had.

Well, we can only hope that "the US" eventually catches up with most of the rest of the civilized, developed world and provides a MUCH greater safety net system than it has in place now.

But that will only be done if the people who champion a more progressive agenda finally learn to work together to undo the crap being thrown at "the US" by its radical conservative element.

Or at least, that is my opinion.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 12:01 pm
Christy doesn't do humility very well. Yesterday's news conference made me squirm.
Now I wanna know about 25 million in Sandy funds that helped his campaign.
0 Replies

anonymously99

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 12:02 pm
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:
"Thank you very much for your support!  The feeling is mutual. I'm just independent in my views. Not much of a joiner when it comes to following a party line.
Thanks, again! 
Once again, I'm called away. Besides, it's late where I am."

anon's response:

wmwcjr

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 12:44 pm
@BillRM,
Bill, I'm most definitely not a theocrat. The Jesus of the New Testament came to set up a spiritual kingdom ("not of this world"), not a theocracy. The theocrats make me nervous. Religious persecution has a long, bloody history.

As I've said elsewhere, I don't go around looking for opportunities to look down upon others (except those who hurt others). I have a humility that is self-imposed. I'm painfully aware of my own shortcomings; so, I don't go around bashing people for their own weaknesses.

I had a gay friend before there was even a gay lib movement. (Well, actually, it started a few months after we had become friends.) I always had a high opinion of him because he was a decent, caring, intelligent human being. He was a casualty of the AIDS epidemic in 1991. I still hold him in high regard.

This is all I'll say about this issue at this time.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 12:49 pm
@anonymously99,
Question
BillRM

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 01:11 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Absolutely, Frank.

And the change over began long before the 1990's...starting in earnest during the LBJ administration.

Quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyndon_B._Johnson#Civil_rights

After Kennedy's death, Johnson took the initiative in finishing what Kennedy started and broke a filibuster by Southern Democrats in March 1964; as a result, this pushed the bill for passage in the Senate.[62] Johnson signed the revised and stronger bill into law on July 2, 1964.[62] Legend has it that, as he put down his pen, Johnson told an aide, "We have lost the South for a generation", anticipating a coming backlash from Southern whites against Johnson's Democratic Party. Moreover, Richard Nixon politically counterattacked with the Southern Strategy where it would "secure" votes for the Republican Party by grabbing the advocates of segregation as well as most of the Southern Democrats.[63]
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 01:24 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
Absolutely, Frank.

Quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyndon_B._Johnson#Civil_rights

After Kennedy's death, Johnson took the initiative in finishing what Kennedy started and broke a filibuster by Southern Democrats in March 1964; as a result, this pushed the bill for passage in the Senate.[62] Johnson signed the revised and stronger bill into law on July 2, 1964.[62] Legend has it that, as he put down his pen, Johnson told an aide, "We have lost the South for a generation", anticipating a coming backlash from Southern whites against Johnson's Democratic Party. Moreover, Richard Nixon politically counterattacked with the Southern Strategy where it would "secure" votes for the Republican Party by grabbing the advocates of segregation as well as most of the Southern Democrats.[63]

Exactly the way I remember it, Bill.

My personal opinion is that American conservatives have always been on the wrong side of major problems...although I know there are people here in the forum who strongly disagree with me on that.

In any case, the suggestion that American conservatives were champions of the civil rights efforts of the 60's and 70's...is almost too bizarre for words.
anonymously99

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 01:58 pm
@wmwcjr,
I didn't mean to offend you, in any way wmwcjr. Question
0 Replies

anonymously99

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 02:07 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
Quote:
My personal opinion is that American conservatives have always been on the wrong side of major problems...although I know there are people here in the forum who strongly disagree with me on that.
In any case, the suggestion that American conservatives were champions of the civil rights efforts of the 60's and 70's...is almost too bizarre for words.

anon's response:
"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
Martin Luther King Jr.

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 02:09 pm
@anonymously99,
anonymously99 wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
Quote:

anon's response:
"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
Martin Luther King Jr.

Good comment, Anon.

I will acknowledge that I never had the balls to go to the deep South to march and protest. I cannot put into words the amount of admiration I had for those who did have the courage.

I guess in many ways, I was a silent friend.

Too bad...I wish I had been braver.
panzade

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 02:28 pm
https://scontent-a-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/1557666_10153765268185707_119347292_n.jpg
anonymously99

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 02:39 pm
@Frank Apisa,
You're fine to me Frank Apisa.
0 Replies

anonymously99

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 02:40 pm
@panzade,
Panzade. Do you understand when you're being ignored.