Is There Any Chance Christie Did NOT Know About the Dirty Tricks?

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 11:09 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
I'm assuming you're saying that many conservatives supported the civil rights movement of the 1950s and the early 1960s. That just isn't so, to put it mildly.

Quote:
While Birmingham's fire hoses and police dogs roiled the nation, GOP senators issued this statement in June 1963: "The Republican Members of the U.S. Senate ... reassert the basic principles of the party with respect to civil rights, and further affirm that the president, with the support of Congress, consistent with its duties as defined in the Constitution, must protect the rights of all U.S. citizens regardless of race, creed, color, or national origin."

Then they put their words into action. The 1964 Civil Rights Act passed the House with 80% of the GOP vote, compared with support from only 61% of Democrats. In the Senate, 82% of Republicans voted for it; only 69% of Democrats did. When the Voting Rights Act passed one year later, Republicans again outpaced the Democrats

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2013/08/20/gop-march-on-washington-civil-rights-column/2679089/

Hello. Earth calling Hawk...and that other guy.

The conservative Democrats dominated that party in the American south during those years.

We are not talking about Democrats or Republicans here...we are talking about conservatives.

The CONSERVATIVES of that day most assuredly were not the people supporting civil rights. The liberal tending Democrats AND Republicans WERE!

The notion that conservatives were in the van of the civil rights movement of the 50's and 60's...

...IS INSANE.
BillRM

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 11:11 am
@hawkeye10,
An the GOP of the 1950s was not the same brain dead tea party conservatives of the 2000 and the Dems at least in the south was the conservatives that are now tea party members.

To sum up conservetives never supported the civil right movement in the south.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 11:13 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
The notion that conservatives were in the van of the civil rights movement of the 50's and 60's...

...IS INSANE.

To put it mildly...........
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 11:24 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:

...IS INSANE.

I'm delighted we have this moment of very strong agreement, Bill.

Thanks.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 11:36 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:

...IS INSANE.

It is a hilarious statement.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 12:56 pm
Since several members have responded to my previous post at the same time, I've chosen to "Reply to All."

The two major political parties (namely, the Democrats and the Republicans) have not remained static ever since they were founded. Today the two parties differ from the way they were during the 1950s and the early 1960s. Unlike today, there have been times in this country's history when the labels "Democrat" and "Republican" were often meaningless.

During the time period I've cited (as well as many years before), both parties had a right wing and a left wing (i.e., conservative and liberal). Yes, there once were liberal Republicans! With the exception of two years my family spent in New York State, I grew up in Texas. I soon became acquainted with the political realities in that state. A particular commentator whose name I don't remember once commented that there were three political parties in Texas: the conservative Democrats, the liberal Democrats, and the Republicans.

Just to show you how greatly the two parties have changed since the early 1950s: In 1952 when my parents were living in College Station, Texas, they attended the local precinct convention to support the nomination of Eisenhower (who was opposed in the Republican presidential primaries). My parents were the only whites present! All of the other people who had chosen to attend the local Republican precinct convention were blacks.

I'm trying to keep my post as brief as I can, but I need to point out certain facts. In the 19th century, the last friend black Americans had in the White House was Ulysses Grant. When Grant left office, black Americans were betrayed and forgotten; and Jim Crow became firmly ensconced. Black Americans did not have a friend in the White House until Harry Truman became President.

My mother-in-law (now deceased) was a Herbert Hoover Republican who as a white Texan rejected Jim Crow when she was a teenager and even participated in a civil rights demonstration in Austin shortly after the war. But the fact remains that the leadership of the political conservative movement was opposed to the civil rights movement. That certainly was true of William Buckley, Phylis Schafly, and many others. The record simply cannot be denied. For many years the passing of civil rights legislation was thwarted by a congressional coalition of Southern conservative Democrats and Northern conservative Republicans. Note the key word: conservative.

In the early 1960s certain Republican leaders decided that since black Americans were outnumbered by white Southern segregationists and their Northern sympathizers, they would veer to the right (especially on the issue of civil rights) with the expectation that their strategy would prove to be successful in the long run. The "Southern strategy" of the Nixon administration was representative of this strategy.

In the mid-1960s, both parties began to undergo a process of polarization. White Southern conservative Democrats began moving in droves to the Republican Party, who eagerly welcomed them into their ranks. I would dare say they were recruited by the leadership of the Republican Party. Of course, other issues such as abortion also became prominent. The result is that both the conservative wing of the Democratic Party and the liberal wing of the Republican party shriveled, resulting in the political polarization that we have today.

My wife, bless her sweet heart, was a Republican until a year or so ago, when she became an independent. As a white Texan, she had been repelled by the segregationists of her youth. Finally, she got sick and tired of the "Southern Democrats" who had taken over her party. However, since she is opposed to abortion and same-sex marriage (as I am), she will never become a Democrat; but the Republicans have lost her for good. She used to contribute financially to the Republican Party with constant regularity. No longer.

By the way, David, although I am a Christian, I share in your opposition to the theocrats. I find them to be repellant. In fact, they scare me!

Most of the Republican congressmen who voted for civil rights legislation were liberal or moderate Republicans, not conservatives. They would not be welcomed by today's Republicans. They would be denounced as RINOs by the conservatives. Individuals such as Rush Limbaugh claim that the 1964 Civil Rights Act was passed with conservative support. That is an unmitigated lie. Limbaugh is being intellectually dishonest, and he knows it! He's especially counting on the ignorance of recent history, perhaps especially on the part of young people who weren't around at the time. I would not be the least surprised if Limbaugh himself was opposed to the civil rights movement. During that period of time, I attended public schools in the Congressional District that was represented by George Herbert Walker Bush for two years. Racial bigotry was rife in that district. When Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated in the spring of 1968, I never saw so much glee among my high-school classmates, most of whom were Republicans.

Incidentally, almost all of the Democratic U.S. Senators who voted against the 1964 Civil Rights Act were conservatives. If Robert Byrd and George Wallace had joined the Republican Party (as the odious Strom Thurmond did in 1964), most of the Republican leadership would have been all over themselves with glee.

The point is that one needs to remember that the two major parties have changed in the last 50 years or so. Engaging in Limbaugh's intellectual dishonesty on this particular historical issue will fail eventually (but not before it possibly succeeds as an exercise of the "Big Lie" technique and does a lot of damage).

(Hmmm . . . I've avoided losing my temper and have written with restraint. At least so far. Laughing )

Real life responsibilites beckon to me presently; so, I must take leave of my laptop. Enjoy the afternoon! Smile
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 03:18 pm
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:
Since several members have responded to my previous post at the same time, I've chosen to "Reply to All."

The two major political parties (namely, the Democrats and the Republicans) have not remained static ever since they were founded. Today the two parties differ from the way they were during the 1950s and the early 1960s. Unlike today, there have been times in this country's history when the labels "Democrat" and "Republican" were often meaningless.

During the time period I've cited (as well as many years before), both parties had a right wing and a left wing (i.e., conservative and liberal). Yes, there once were liberal Republicans! With the exception of two years my family spent in New York State, I grew up in Texas. I soon became acquainted with the political realities in that state. A particular commentator whose name I don't remember once commented that there were three political parties in Texas: the conservative Democrats, the liberal Democrats, and the Republicans.

Just to show you how greatly the two parties have changed since the early 1950s: In 1952 when my parents were living in College Station, Texas, they attended the local precinct convention to support the nomination of Eisenhower (who was opposed in the Republican presidential primaries). My parents were the only whites present! All of the other people who had chosen to attend the local Republican precinct convention were blacks.

I'm trying to keep my post as brief as I can, but I need to point out certain facts. In the 19th century, the last friend black Americans had in the White House was Ulysses Grant. When Grant left office, black Americans were betrayed and forgotten; and Jim Crow became firmly ensconced. Black Americans did not have a friend in the White House until Harry Truman became President.

My mother-in-law (now deceased) was a Herbert Hoover Republican who as a white Texan rejected Jim Crow when she was a teenager and even participated in a civil rights demonstration in Austin shortly after the war. But the fact remains that the leadership of the political conservative movement was opposed to the civil rights movement. That certainly was true of William Buckley, Phylis Schafly, and many others. The record simply cannot be denied. For many years the passing of civil rights legislation was thwarted by a congressional coalition of Southern conservative Democrats and Northern conservative Republicans. Note the key word: conservative.

In the early 1960s certain Republican leaders decided that since black Americans were outnumbered by white Southern segregationists and their Northern sympathizers, they would veer to the right (especially on the issue of civil rights) with the expectation that their strategy would prove to be successful in the long run. The "Southern strategy" of the Nixon administration was representative of this strategy.

In the mid-1960s, both parties began to undergo a process of polarization. White Southern conservative Democrats began moving in droves to the Republican Party, who eagerly welcomed them into their ranks. I would dare say they were recruited by the leadership of the Republican Party. Of course, other issues such as abortion also became prominent. The result is that both the conservative wing of the Democratic Party and the liberal wing of the Republican party shriveled, resulting in the political polarization that we have today.

My wife, bless her sweet heart, was a Republican until a year or so ago, when she became an independent. As a white Texan, she had been repelled by the segregationists of her youth. Finally, she got sick and tired of the "Southern Democrats" who had taken over her party. However, since she is opposed to abortion and same-sex marriage (as I am), she will never become a Democrat; but the Republicans have lost her for good. She used to contribute financially to the Republican Party with constant regularity. No longer.

By the way, David, although I am a Christian, I share in your opposition to the theocrats. I find them to be repellant. In fact, they scare me!

Most of the Republican congressmen who voted for civil rights legislation were liberal or moderate Republicans, not conservatives. They would not be welcomed by today's Republicans. They would be denounced as RINOs by the conservatives. Individuals such as Rush Limbaugh claim that the 1964 Civil Rights Act was passed with conservative support. That is an unmitigated lie. Limbaugh is being intellectually dishonest, and he knows it! He's especially counting on the ignorance of recent history, perhaps especially on the part of young people who weren't around at the time. I would not be the least surprised if Limbaugh himself was opposed to the civil rights movement. During that period of time, I attended public schools in the Congressional District that was represented by George Herbert Walker Bush for two years. Racial bigotry was rife in that district. When Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated in the spring of 1968, I never saw so much glee among my high-school classmates, most of whom were Republicans.

Incidentally, almost all of the Democratic U.S. Senators who voted against the 1964 Civil Rights Act were conservatives. If Robert Byrd and George Wallace had joined the Republican Party (as the odious Strom Thurmond did in 1964), most of the Republican leadership would have been all over themselves with glee.

The point is that one needs to remember that the two major parties have changed in the last 50 years or so. Engaging in Limbaugh's intellectual dishonesty on this particular historical issue will fail eventually (but not before it possibly succeeds as an exercise of the "Big Lie" technique and does a lot of damage).

(Hmmm . . . I've avoided losing my temper and have written with restraint. At least so far. Laughing )

Real life responsibilites beckon to me presently; so, I must take leave of my laptop. Enjoy the afternoon! Smile
I m not commenting on Rush; he 's not especially important to me, tho for the most part,
maybe 2/3 or 3/4, he n I agree. We vote the same. I usually approve of him,
tho I have not listened to him for a few years; (never, on a constant basis).
Your sentiment toward Strom Thurmond was mine toward the Kennedys.
I LOVED Strom Thurmond! If I cud have, I 'd have waved a magic wand
and extended his life for another 1OO years, Bless him!

In the 1960s, the ideological dichotomy was thus:
on the left, there were the commies and their pinko supporters,
together with the blacks and the fanatical pacifists; on the right,
we had the anti-communists, libertarians, fonetic spellers
and traditionalist Americans supporting the philosophy of
the Authors of the Constitution, as amended.
I founded a chapter of Young Americans for Freedom.

Anyway, tho I do not agree with your philosophy, I agree with your
historical assessment. U omitted the reason for the migration
of conservative Demos in the mid-1960s: BARRY GOLDWATER,
whose presidential career was assassinated by Lee H. Oswald.
Goldwater stood very high in the polls on the day before the killing.
That 's Y Kennedy was frantically campaigning for election
(after he stole the election of 1960 in Chicago n in Texas).

I consider my philosophy to be that of the Sons of Liberty in the 177Os,
as amended, in accordance with Article 5 of the US Constitution.
I consider myself to be as meticulously orthodox and scrupulously literal
in my application of the US Constitution as I possibly can be.
I reject liberalism, which is twisted distortion and cheating.

Note my enduring, loving loyalty to laissez faire free enterprize.

Anyway, I find no fault in your narrative of history.
Note that I agree that Rush was not accurate if he alleged that
conservatives led the effort for passage of the "Civil Rights Act of 1964."
IF conservatives were in support of that bill,
then WHO were on the negative side ??????

What was Rush 's reasoning, on that point, Bill ?????

David
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 04:20 pm
@wmwcjr,
Do you dispute that 80% of the House GOP and 82% of the Senate GOP voted for the 1964 Civil Rights Act or do you think that 80% or more of Republicans were "liberals" back then?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 04:21 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Racists. Republican and Democrat racists.
wmwcjr

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 08:20 pm
@ David and Finn,

I have not read your responses to my post yet. I hope you have not construed my comments to be a personal attack. Nothing could be farther from the truth. I continue to hold you both in high regard.

Let me reiterate that I am not speaking as a liberal or a Democrat. Granted, I was liberal when I was young; but that was before certain stances became a litmus test for being a "good" liberal. Since I am opposed to same-sex marriage and abortion on demand, I am not welcomed into the liberal or "progressive" camp today. I would have to violate my conscience to support either party; so, as a resident of a politically noncompetitive state (Texas), I have stopped voting. I would say to those who are offended by any of my political comments that I exercise no power over anyone. I do think it's possible to appease racist voters without actually being a racist oneself. I'm just expressing my opinion -- which, in the scheme of things, isn't even worth a pile of beans.

Peace.
Jack of Hearts

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 08:40 pm
@hawkeye10,
Little to none. If not before, (even joking around), he knew the next day, and he did nothing to stop it from happening again.
Besides, if you don't believe that - how can you still vote for someone who are so unaware of what is happening right under their nose?
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 09:39 pm
@wmwcjr,
Quote:
Since I am opposed to same-sex marriage and abortion on demand,

Interesting as to me a woman should be the mistress of her own body and you and people like you are free to convict women of your position but not to use the color of law to force a woman to carry a fetus to term.

All such efforts to control women bodies, will just result in tens of thousands of poor dead women a year and richer women just leaving the country to take care of the problem in complete safety while having a vacation.

Next as far as same sex marriages well I never could see why the society as a whole are stakeholders in same sex marriages that we should license and promote such long term relations without such relationships being the engine of raising most of the next generation as are hetrosexual relationships.

In the end however the benefits of being "fair" in how we treat people out weight such concerns at least in my opinion.
anonymously99stwin

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 10:32 pm
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:
"I'm just expressing my opinion -- which, in the scheme of things, isn't even worth a pile of beans."

You shouldn't say that. Learning from/about one another is how else can I say it without using the word love. You sharing your words, your feelings, else more is you opening up letting others in. To understand you. And much there is that can be done. Acceptance. You allow others to accept you. Give them the chance. And such.

There may be things you're against that I'm okay with. Does that make you want to have nothing to do with me? I personally wouldn't hold anything against you. No matter how you felt toward things. Anything. Anyone.
wmwcjr

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 10:44 pm
@BillRM,
I am a sensitive man who is distressed by certain situations related to the two issues I mentioned in my last post above. In other words, I'm not without feeling when it comes to human suffering and when someone is downtrodden. But nuances on the part of anyone posting in forum exchanges are lost. What am I saying? They're lost in real life exchanges as well.

I will confess that I'm a Christian, which means that in your sight I'm a fool. Sad I will admit that if I didn't believe in the Bible, we'd be a lot more in agreement on these two issues. Please understand that some of the beliefs of "people of faith" are not something they would believe anyway, but are beliefs they have to uphold because they believe them to be the truth, whether they like it or not. (Don't know if that was clear or not.)

As I said above, I have absolutely no power over anyone; and I've given up on politics. I don't even vote anymore. Please remember those issues upon which you and I are in complete agreement, and we'll both be happy. Smile

Good evening and have fun! Smile
wmwcjr

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2014 10:48 pm
@anonymously99stwin,
Thank you very much for your support! Smile The feeling is mutual. I'm just independent in my views. Not much of a joiner when it comes to following a party line.

Thanks, again! Smile

Once again, I'm called away. Besides, it's late where I am.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 12:04 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Racists. Republican and Democrat racists.
So, u allege that if citizens are not
racists, then thay will demand legislation forcing them to associate
against their will with members of other races, do u????
and this is because there is something in the Constitution
FORCING us to do so???

Was Abraham Lincoln an anti-black racist??
Did Lincoln propose any such legislation??

Did the Congress enact that into law after the Civil War in the 1860s??
Were the Northern Congressmen who voted funds for the Civil War
anti-black racists???

Did the Union Army veterans ever demand that in the 1800s??

My heritage is from Devonshire, England.
I 'd have been outraged, if a bill had been offered in Congress
that prohibited citizens from rejecting Englishmen from
employment or housing rental. I never pledged allegiance
to my racial heritage, but I pledged allegiance to the Constitution and the liberty that it defends.

Social legislation rapes the Constitution.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 12:11 am
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:

@ David and Finn,

I have not read your responses to my post yet.
I hope you have not construed my comments to be a personal attack.
Nothing could be farther from the truth.
I continue to hold you both in high regard.
Thank u, Bill; likewise, I 'm sure. Your views are always welcome.
It never entered my mind that there were any personal attack
in your remarks.

David
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 01:54 am
Quote:
Political machines made some American cities work (with an asterisk) for a century. The machine style still animates some cities and states, most visibly Rahm Emanuel’s Chicago. The premise of Chris Christie’s presidential campaign is that he would bring New Jersey–style politics to Washington. The generous interpretation of that: He has an ability to work with Democrats in New Jersey, so he would do the same in Washington. The reality: He has an ability to work with Democrats in New Jersey because he’s willing to bribe, mug, and hug them to get what he wants, so wouldn't it be nice if he could do the same in Washington?

Bridgeghazi is frustrating because it suggests Christie actually isn’t an effective practitioner of kneecap politics. The closing of the George Washington Bridge lanes was so stupid, so heavy-handed, so public. They got caught! Christie and his people have given a bad name to a kind of politics that Americans should crave.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2014/01/bridgeghazi_chris_christie_and_corruption_american_politics_should_be_dirtier.html

anger swamped his brain it would seem.
BillRM

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 02:20 am
@wmwcjr,
I have zero problems with you basing your beliefs on the bible and the Christian religion and in your trying to convince others that they should do their best to suppress their sexuality if that sexuality is gay or for women to avoid at all costs having an abortion.

The whole idea of gay sex is personally sickening to me and even decades after I found out that in having one of my cats fixed I had aborted her kittens that she was carrying still sadden me.

My problem is that in my opinion far greater evilness resulted time after time when attempts to use the law to enforce believes on others who happen not to share those believes.

When abortions was either restricted or ban outright in the US the results was that the wealthy just had gone to where they could get safe abortions legally and poor women turned to methods that all too often resulted in their deaths.

As far as gay sex and the law here are the end results of encoding Christian or other faiths beliefs into law.

Quote:
A draconian anti-gay law passed by the Nigerian parliament last year and quietly signed by President Goodluck Jonathan this month has led to the arrest of scores of homosexuals and set off an international wave of condemnation.
The Same Sex Marriage Prohibition Act criminalizes gay marriage and civil unions, imposing punishment of up to 14 years in prison for gay couples who openly display their relationship in a country where, according to polls, 98% of society shuns homosexuality as deviant behavior.
"This is a law that is in line with the people's cultural and religious inclination," Jonathan's spokesman, Reuben Abati, was quoted by the Associated Press as saying. "It is a law that is a reflection of the beliefs and orientation of Nigerian people.... Nigerians are pleased with it."
A report on "The Global Divide on Homosexuality" by the Pew Research Center last year found Nigerians to be the most intolerant of gays among 39 countries examined, with 98% of survey respondents saying homosexuality should not be accepted by society. Anti-gay attitudes were also expressed by more than 90% of those polled in Senegal, Ghana, Uganda, Kenya, Jordan, Egypt, Tunisia and the Palestinian territories, according to the Pew Center research.
Sodomy was already illegal in Nigeria when the government last year proposed the stricter measures against legally recognized gay relationships, public displays of affection between people of the same sex and advocacy for gay rights, including prohibitions against organizations dedicated to the fight against the spread of HIV/AIDS.
Since Nigerian lawmakers enacted the law Dec. 17, dozens of gay men have been arrested in the conservative northern reaches of the country, where homosexuality is punishable by death in some provinces governed by sharia, or Islamic law, the Daily Telegraph reported.
Dorothy Aken’Ova of Nigeria’s International Center for Reproductive Health and Sexual Rights told foreign media in Nigeria that police in Bauchi state arrested several gays this month and tortured them into giving up the names of others. Authorities have drawn up a list of 168 men, 38 of whom are already in custody, she said.
The new law has been condemned as a human rights violation by U.S. Secretary of State John F. Kerry, as well as the leaders of Canada and Britain, the latter the former colonial power in Nigeria and author of the initial anti-gay laws.
"The United States is deeply concerned by Nigeria’s enactment of the Same Sex Marriage Prohibition Act," Kerry said in a statement Monday. "Beyond even prohibiting same sex marriage, this law dangerously restricts freedom of assembly, association, and expression for all Nigerians."
The law is also "inconsistent with Nigeria’s international legal obligations and undermines the democratic reforms and human rights protections enshrined in its 1999 Constitution," Kerry said.
The Geneva-based International Service for Human Rights denounced the law as likely to have "wide-ranging and damaging impacts on the rights" of homosexuals and said the international community demanded its repeal.
"International human rights law prohibits discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation and gender identity," said Heather Collister, the organization's gay rights program manager. "It also protects the rights to freedom of association and expression. This law is manifestly incompatible with international human rights standards and must be repealed."
ALSO:

http://www.latimes.com/world/worldnow/la-fg-wn-nigeria-anti-gay-law-20140114,0,5418844.story#ixzz2qS8d32G6

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2014 04:27 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Political machines made some American cities work (with an asterisk) for a century. The machine style still animates some cities and states, most visibly Rahm Emanuel’s Chicago. The premise of Chris Christie’s presidential campaign is that he would bring New Jersey–style politics to Washington. The generous interpretation of that: He has an ability to work with Democrats in New Jersey, so he would do the same in Washington. The reality: He has an ability to work with Democrats in New Jersey because he’s willing to bribe, mug, and hug them to get what he wants, so wouldn't it be nice if he could do the same in Washington?

Bridgeghazi is frustrating because it suggests Christie actually isn’t an effective practitioner of kneecap politics. The closing of the George Washington Bridge lanes was so stupid, so heavy-handed, so public. They got caught! Christie and his people have given a bad name to a kind of politics that Americans should crave.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2014/01/bridgeghazi_chris_christie_and_corruption_american_politics_should_be_dirtier.html

anger swamped his brain it would seem.
We NEED Republicans to keep fighting Democrats
to defeat their social legislation, thereby preserving our ancient freedom.
Our liberty continues intact, so long as those 2 parties fail to
consumate an authoritarian conspiracy subverting that liberty
for any social purpose. Its when thay AGREE that we are in trouble.

David