smurf10

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2013 03:53 pm
Any advice from people who have came out of the closet? Been on my mind alot and would like to hear peoples experience of it and if their life is better or worse now?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 17 • Views: 5,962 • Replies: 94

jcboy

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2013 03:55 pm
@smurf10,
smurf10 wrote:

Any advice from people who have came out of the closet? Been on my mind alot and would like to hear peoples experience of it and if their life is better or worse now?

Honey I was never in the closet, closets are for clothes. Wink
chai2

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2013 05:57 pm
@jcboy,
Honestly?

I've never known anyone who has made the announcement they are gay to which my response wasn't, even internally, "Did you really think we didn't know?"

jcboy

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2013 06:00 pm
@chai2,
True everyone knew I was gay because I didn’t hide it from anyone. And growing up in CA nobody cared either way. I was never worried about friends that found out because if they were real friends they would accept me for who I am anyway Razz
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2013 07:04 pm
@smurf10,
dont go into it expecting a metal....almost no one cares.
jcboy

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2013 08:37 pm
@hawkeye10,
Especially dudes like Hawkeye10 that's likes having his ass tickled with a feather Razz
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2013 10:00 pm
Rupert Everett says coming out lost him the chance of being a future James Bond. I suppose the producers thought the film-going public would never accept a gay Bond and box-office takings would suffer.

WIKI- Everett wished he had never come out of the closet as he feels that it hurt his career-
“The fact is that you could not be, and still cannot be, a 25-year-old homosexual trying to make it in the British film business or the American film business or even the Italian film business. It just doesn't work and you're going to hit a brick wall at some point. You're going to manage to make it roll for a certain amount of time, but at the first sign of failure they'll cut you right off... Honestly, I would not advise any actor necessarily, if he was really thinking of his career, to come out"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rupert_Everett
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2013 10:04 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Rupert Everett says coming out lost him the chance of being a future James Bond. I suppose the producers thought the film-going public would never accept a gay Bond and box-office takings would suffer.

movies today get half their box office outside of america, and in many of these locations fags are not well received. in america however it barely matters anywhere re employment opportunities.

but yes, if smurf aims to be a major Hollywood actor he/she might hold off.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2013 10:16 pm
I enjoyed watching Torchwood when it first came out, but quickly lost interest and stopped watching when it began introducing gay themes, and I wasn't the only one-
"We've received complaints from some viewers who feel there is too much gay content in Torchwood," the corporation said. "We have strict editorial guidelines which govern the content of our programmes, and Torchwood is no exception"
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s8/torchwood/news/a334280/torchwood-gay-scenes-not-meant-to-cause-offence-says-bbc.html

I mean, the general public simply can't accept gay heroes..Smile

PS- Dr Who has gone downhill too in recent years because the actors chosen to play him come across as overgrown gay schoolboys and I can't watch it.
anonymously99

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2013 10:36 pm
@smurf10,
One who claims they are gay may be confused. I believe from experience. I thought I 'was' but in actuality I'm not only having been confused. I hate the fact I felt I was interested in the same sex but I believe everyone goes through moments/phases. I believe woman belongs with man. Seems right.
My life since having done so. I believe in forgiveness. I am either forgiven or I'm not. What others think of me since I came clean of, admitted to a past uncertainty, past confusion of being interested in the same sex I honestly don't care. As mentioned. I believe people go through moments/phases.
I myself am not against anyone who desires to be with the same sex. I personally am not interested. in the same sex.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2013 10:57 pm
the biggest problem with this gay fad is that it takes a lot more women off the market for the opposite sex than it does men, thus giving women more negotiating power than men. equality is a very elusive goal.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2013 11:22 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
We the public accepted this guy... who is cooler and tougher then any James Bond

maxdancona

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2013 11:25 pm
@hawkeye10,
There is a market for women? Negotiating power?

You sure know a lot about about relationships with women.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2013 11:44 pm
@maxdancona,
good of you to notice. You might further be interested that I have a theory that this huge imbalance is largely created by the societal teaching "men suck!" which has been promoted mainly by the feminists. I suspect that women are often very happy to convert to lesbian behavior to avoid men who supposedly suck, which then through their loss of negotiating power in the match-up market socks it to men again. the feminists of course love this, as men get the message that if they want a woman they best behave themselves. Women on the other hand can get away with murder.

I look forward to some study on this, which will turn up soon as the feminists have lost the ability to prevent scientists from looking at relationship issues.
anonymously99

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2013 12:09 am
@hawkeye10,
I believe whether a man "sucks" or not a woman should stay with the man. She should have no reason to leave him unless he was at any point unable to support the family.
If at one point, any point the man fails to keep a job, loses the ability to pay the bills, can not provide for his family, else more, I'm talking at any point, then she should leave the man seeking one who can do so. Because if he's done so, lost his ability to support the family, at one point good chance it will happen again. Things only getting worse. I believe it is man's job to take care of the family financially not woman's. I should stop thinking "old days"?
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2013 12:16 am
@anonymously99,
according to one of my wifes celeb mags Gisele Bündchen agrees with you, she is worth about $300 million but she allegedly has convinced hubby that his job is to take care of her, and to pay all of the families bills from his own much smaller net worth.

Reese Witherspoon allegedly pulled the same scam on her man, who has almost no money compared to her, all during their time dating.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2013 12:17 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

dont go into it expecting a metal....almost no one cares.

I'm interested as to why this post got 5 thumb downs.

Does someone "coming out" deserve a medal, and if so why?

I'm sure it isn't the easiest thing in the world to do, and especially in terms of one's immediate family. I don't envy anyone who must tell his or parents of a sexual orientation that is quite contrary to their expectations. Some parents don't have a problem with such a revelation, but others, obviously, do.

What is the alternative though? Maintaining a lie about a fundamental aspect of someone's life? Don't get me wrong, I can imagine why someone might opt for such an alternative, but I can't imagine how they would ever be happy doing so, or, for that matter, be able to sustain it and have both a satisfying life and a healthy relationship with their parents.

Fighting past fear and doing something that is right is certainly a good thing, but I just don't see it as necessarily rising to heroics.

America has changed a great deal, in respect to homosexuality, in the almost 60 years I've been around, and "coming out," while not a walk in the park, can't, generally, be as tough as it was 60 years ago.

I'm glad people have an easier time with acknowledging their "unconventional" sexual orientations, and, to be sure, they do. "Coming out" in 2013 is not, by any stretch of the imagination, the same as "coming out" in 1954. This is a good thing, but it also makes doing so less of an act of determination and bravery.

Does anyone want someone who publicly acknowledges their homosexuality to be a hero?

As for hawkeye's comment that "almost no one cares," isn't this an expression of a belief that homosexuality is far more acceptable in today's society than it was decades ago? Why would anyone thumb that down?

This forum would be a whole lot duller, and may not even exist, if we all agreed with one another, but knee-jerk negative reactions to certain posters, irrespective of what they have actually written is far too common.

If you disagree with the past 9 posts of someone, it doesn't make any sense that you can assume you disagree with the 10th; without due consideration.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2013 12:41 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
As for hawkeye's comment that "almost no one cares," isn't this an expression of a belief that homosexuality is far more acceptable in today's society than it was decades ago? Why would anyone thumb that down

i was being sarcastic, just awhile back I was reading about how two gays came out of the closet and the high school made them king and queen of prom (freezing out all other nominations) as a political statement. Gay bars are now so popular that the gays complain regularly about the places being over run with straights trying to have fun, making the functioning of the meat market more difficult.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2013 12:55 am
@hawkeye10,
No kidding?

But the fact remains that you acknowledge that homosexuality is far more acceptable in today's society tha it was decades ago. Whether or not you think this is a good thing, such a value judgment was not apparent in your post, and so anyone thumbing it down had to assume it was, and your judgement was that it was, at best, silly.

Come to think of it, based on this reply I may be close to taking back my entire argument (at least as it pertains to you). Perhaps 5 people know you a whole lot better than I do.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2013 10:21 am
For the record there's this other thread about homosexuality -
http://able2know.org/topic/229306-1