So Saying That Folks Should Follow Christian Morals is NOW A Firing Offense

firefly

Fri 3 Jan, 2014 11:57 am
@coldjoint,
Quote:

That is a baseless claim. You have no idea of whet those people said or their reasons

And that's a baseless claim on your part.

While I was born after women had the vote, I'm apparently more familiar with history than you are. Why do you think women never had the vote in the first place? Are you familiar with the arguments that were advanced against giving them the vote?

Interracial marriage in the United States has been fully legal in all U.S. states only since a 1967 Supreme Court decision, so I was aware of what people said on that issue, and why they opposed it. And the same was true for segregation, I lived during that era, and through the civil rights movement, I have a very good idea of what people said, and why they opposed change.

Same-sex marriage is the same sort of civil rights matter that all those other issues were.
coldjoint

Fri 3 Jan, 2014 12:05 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
I lived during that era, and through the civil rights movement, I have a very good idea of what people said, and why they opposed change.

And what does this have to do with free speech? That is the real issue here. You are trying to silence criticism of homosexuality by calling believers names. They have their reasons and that is their right.

There is no need to demonize them for expressing a valid opinion.

What rank are you in the Thought Police? PFC?
JTT

Fri 3 Jan, 2014 12:07 pm
@firefly,
Firefly: And the same was true for segregation, I lived during that era, and through the civil rights movement, I have a very good idea of what people said, and why they opposed change.

=+++++++++++++++

And you have lived thru the times of some of the USA's greatest war crimes, their most vicious acts of terrorism. Why are you so sanctimonious about all these evils but you remain silent about much greater evils?

Ask her that one, Coldjoint.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 3 Jan, 2014 12:07 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Why do you think women never had the vote in the first place?

I can explain that ff.

Quote:
0 Replies

JTT

Fri 3 Jan, 2014 12:09 pm
@coldjoint,
Free speech is free speech, Cj.
spendius

Fri 3 Jan, 2014 12:09 pm
@firefly,
Quote:

I can explain that ff.

Quote:

I can explain that too.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Fri 3 Jan, 2014 12:10 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Free speech is free speech, Cj.

not according to many...to them "free speech" means we are free to say anything that they happen to agree with. Anything else, no, that offends them and we must not do that.
coldjoint

Fri 3 Jan, 2014 12:16 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
not according to many...to them "free speech" means we are free to say anything that they happen to agree with. Anything else, no.

It is about controlling the narrative by intimidating those who disagree by numbers against them, by character assassination, and by the need to be popular, that so many narrow minded people treasure so much, they would agree and defend almost anything to escape the wrath of these modern bigots.

JTT

Fri 3 Jan, 2014 12:20 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hawkeye, see

http://able2know.org/topic/230273-1

Signature
Over 200 times we [the USA] have put our forces into other countries to force them to our will. We've been in the business of being a country for about 200 years. We've spent fifty years at war, - John Stockwell

0 Replies

JTT

Fri 3 Jan, 2014 12:22 pm
@coldjoint,
Coldjoint, see

http://able2know.org/topic/230273-1

0 Replies

JTT

Fri 3 Jan, 2014 12:28 pm
@coldjoint,
Free speech entails that you also defend what you say. "Believers" say many many incredibly stupid things. Sunday Church mainly consists of folks operating in a brain dead manner, repeating voodoo chants to each other.
coldjoint

Fri 3 Jan, 2014 12:32 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Sunday Church mainly consists of folks operating in a brain dead manner, repeating voodoo chants to each other.

Do you see the damage other believers are doing? Believers tend to get things done. Look at Islam and the damage those believers do.

Actually it is what you believe in that defines your character, and your ability to make your decisions based on that belief. That is what you defend.
JTT

Fri 3 Jan, 2014 12:41 pm
@coldjoint,
What do you expect from me, an "Amen, brother"?

You've ignored the obvious in favor of a rambling set of mumbo jumbo.
coldjoint

Fri 3 Jan, 2014 12:45 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
What do you expect from me,

Zero.
0 Replies

firefly

Fri 3 Jan, 2014 01:08 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:

And what does this have to do with free speech? That is the real issue here. You are trying to silence criticism of homosexuality by calling believers names. They have their reasons and that is their right.

There is no need to demonize them for expressing a valid opinion.

What rank are you in the Thought Police? PFC?

It was Phil Robertson who did all the name-calling.

Negatively stereotyping entire groups is questionable in terms of being a "valid opinion." Stereotypes are never valid because they never apply to all members of a group, and that was true of the accusations ("murderers" "terrorists") that Robertson levels at homosexuals, as well as his stereotypes of those happy blacks in Jim Crow era Louisiana, who he apparently thinks were more content when they were subjugated by the white man.

Robertson expressed his opinions, but they are more bigoted than valid, regardless of whether or not he used the Bible to arrive at his opinions--those are his personal opinions, and they couldn't stand up to any test of validity. He can't speak for, or represent, all Christians, many of whom, including the current Pope, wouldn't agree with the total lack of respect he voices toward gays as human beings, regardless of how they might feel about same-sex marriage.

And "free speech" does not mean that a person's speech is protected from negative reactions. Phil Robertson can criticize homosexuals, he can insult anyone he wishes to, he can express all the hate he wants to, that doesn't mean his remarks should be accepted with silence. What rank are you in the Thought Police? PFC?

Similarly, there is no need on your part to "demonize" the activist groups for expressing their offense at how they are being unfairly labeled and stereotyped and treated. As you said, "They have their reasons and that is their right," and that right pertains to everyone.

But you do dismiss, and try to silence, comments by African-American advocacy and civil rights groups by calling them "race-baiters" suggesting that, in your mind, these people are nothing but trouble makers, without legitimate concerns about manifestations of racism.
Quote:
It is about controlling the narrative by intimidating those who disagree by numbers against them...

But that's exactly what the right-wing Christian advocacy groups do. That's exactly what Faith Driven Consumers did to A & E in the case of Phil Robertson. That's exactly what The Family Research Council, another right-wing Christian group, does all the time. Where is your criticism of those groups and their tactics? Why is your criticism only directed at black and LGBT civil rights advocacy groups, and never at the right-wing Christian groups? Engineer posted information about how these groups intimate businesses and make them fearful of expressing any support for same-sex marriage.

The offended groups in the Robertson matter didn't threaten or intimidate Phil Robertson, or any of his various businesses, at all. And all they wanted from A & E was to sit down and discuss the issue with them, something the network went along with. All of the organized threatening and intimidation came from the right-wing Christians who organized and directed it against A & E.

coldjoint

Fri 3 Jan, 2014 01:32 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
It was Phil Robertson who did all the name-calling.

The Bible did the name calling.
firefly

Fri 3 Jan, 2014 01:37 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
The Bible did the name calling.

The Bible calls homosexuals "terrorists"? Laughing

Fortunately, we live in a country where a person's civil rights are determined by the Constitution, and not by the Bible or the Koran.

coldjoint

Fri 3 Jan, 2014 01:41 pm
@firefly,
He didn't either.
JTT

Fri 3 Jan, 2014 01:47 pm
@firefly,
No, the bible calls Americans terrorists, Firefly. Smile
0 Replies

firefly

Fri 3 Jan, 2014 01:52 pm
@coldjoint,
I'm still waiting for you to criticize the tactics of the right-wing Christian groups, who try to silence those who support homosexual rights, and same-sex marriage, through their intimidations.

I'll repeat--Fortunately, we live in a country where a person's civil rights, whether they are heterosexual or homosexual, are determined by the Constitution, and not by the Bible or the Koran.

That would include the right to marry legally, and to enjoy the benefits afforded to legally married couples.