So Saying That Folks Should Follow Christian Morals is NOW A Firing Offense

JTT

Fri 3 Jan, 2014 01:54 pm
@firefly,
I'm still waiting for you to apologize to Bill, Ff, for your bald faced lies.
0 Replies

JTT

Fri 3 Jan, 2014 01:55 pm
@firefly,
I'll repeat--Fortunately, we live in a country where a person's civil rights are determined by the Constitution, and not by the Bible or the Koran.

-------------

At least that's what you want to believe.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Fri 3 Jan, 2014 02:19 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
I'm still waiting for you to criticize the tactics of the right-wing Christian groups, who try to silence those who support homosexual rights, and same-sex marriage, through their intimidations.

Show me one of those. Certainly you have some anti-propaganda handy.
firefly

Fri 3 Jan, 2014 02:24 pm
@coldjoint,
The info has already been posted, you've chosen to ignore it.
coldjoint

Fri 3 Jan, 2014 02:34 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
you've chosen to ignore it.

Like you ignore the fact that homosexuality is panned by every religion. That is a fact, and one that will never go away.
firefly

Fri 3 Jan, 2014 02:53 pm
Do you really expect people to respond with silence when this is the sort of bigotry and hate that's being expressed?

Charles C. Worley, pastor of the Providence Road Baptist Church in Maiden, N.C., preached on May 13, 2012, that lesbians and gays should be separated from each other and society and quarantined behind electrified fences. “In a few years, they’ll die out,” Mr. Worley said. “They can’t reproduce.”
Quote:

Standing ovation greets Pastor Charles Worley, who made anti-gay statements
By Isolde Raftery and James Eng, msnbc.com
May 27, 2012

Although gay rights and anti-hate groups responded with outrage when a North Carolina pastor called for gays and lesbians to be fenced in so they eventually die off, he was greeted with a standing ovation by his church members when he approached the pulpit, the Hickory Record reported.

“I appreciate all the support,” Pastor Charles Worley told the 100 or so congregants at Providence Road Baptist Church near Maiden, N.C., on Sunday, according to the Record. Several members stood and spoke out; others threw up their hands in support of their pastor.

“I’ve got a King James Bible,” Worley said, according to the Record. “I’ve been a preacher for 53 years. Do you think I’m going to bail out on this?”

Demonstrators wanted him to do just that.

More than 1,000 people gathered in front of the Justice Center in nearby Newton waving signs with messages such as "Will God judge me for loving or hating?" and "Don't Fence Me In," Reuters reported. Some people dressed in rainbow colors, and entire families chanted "Preach Love Not Hate."

The protest was in response to a sermon the 71-year-old Worley delivered on May 13, Mother’s Day, apparently in response to President Barack Obama’s public endorsement a few days earlier of same-sex marriage. Just a day before Obama’s announcement, North Carolina voters approved by a considerable margin a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage and same-sex civil unions in their state.

In the sermon, an animated Worley told the congregation of his independent Baptist church:

“I figured a way out, a way to get rid of all the lesbians and queers but I couldn’t get it pass the Congress – build a great big large fence, 50 or a hundred mile long. Put all the lesbians in there, fly over and drop some food. Do the same thing with the queers and the homosexuals. And have that fence electrified so they can’t get out.

“And you know what? In a few years they will die out. You know why? They can’t reproduce. If a man ever has a young'un, praise God he will be the first.”

Worley continued, his voice rising: “I tell ya right now, somebody said, 'Who you gonna vote for?' I ain’t gonna vote for a baby killer and a homosexual lover! You said, ‘Did you mean to say that?’ You better believe I did!”

Worley’s speech went viral after the Catawba Valley Citizens Against Hate grabbed a clip from the church’s web site and posted it on YouTube, Reuters reported.

But Worley may have hindered the efforts of those who champion his cause, Jay Michaelson, author of “Gay vs. God? The Religious Case for Equality” wrote on Huffington Post. He said that Worley’s comments are “undermining the efforts of more moderate gay-bashers like the Family Research Council's Tony Perkins to disguise anti-gay bias as something other than hatred.”

Rev. Barry W. Lynn, executive director of Americans United, also condemned Pastor Worley’s statements.

“Pastor Worley's vicious and mean-spirited assault on gays and lesbians is bad enough,” Lynn said. “His pulpit command that people not vote for President Obama is a violation of federal tax law. I urge the IRS to act swiftly to investigate this matter."

A religious watchdog group has filed a complaint with the Internal Revenue Service, asking that it investigate the church’s tax-exempt status. Federal law prohibits non-profit groups from endorsing candidates.

David Freidman, the regional director for the Anti-Defamation League, which fights hate speech, said Worley owed the gay and lesbian community a “swift and unequivocal apology.”

Another Baptist church with a similar name was targeted by people angered by Worley’s sermon. The Providence Baptist Church in Charlotte, N.C., distanced itself from Worley, calling his words “hateful and violent.”

The church web site specifies that it is a “moderate” cooperative Baptist Fellowship congregation of approximately 2,000 members.

“Jesus is our model for living and His presence is our source of strength for life,” said a statement on the church’s web site. “Jesus preached a Gospel of love. So do we. Jesus preached that we love our neighbor, whether that neighbor is like us or not.”

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/05/27/11908278-standing-ovation-greets-pastor-charles-worley-who-made-anti-gay-statements?lite

If this is Pastor Worley's idea of "Christian morality" spare us all from having to live by it. This is hatred and bigotry masked as religion, which was also true of the vicious remarks Phil Robertson has made about gays, not just in GQ magazine, but over the past several years.
coldjoint

Fri 3 Jan, 2014 02:55 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Do you really expect people to respond with silence when this is the sort of bigotry and hate that's being expressed?

Why not? You all do for Islam.
0 Replies

firefly

Fri 3 Jan, 2014 03:35 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
Like you ignore the fact that homosexuality is panned by every religion. That is a fact, and one that will never go away.

I suggest you take another look at your "fact".
Quote:
Historically, some cultures and religions accommodated, institutionalized, or revered, same-sex love and sexuality, such mythologies and traditions can be found around the world. For example, Hinduism does not view homosexuality as a religious sin. In 2009, the Hindu Council UK became one of the first major religious organizations to support LGBT rights when they issued a statement "Hinduism does not condemn homosexuality".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_and_homosexuality

I'll repeat again, --Fortunately, we live in a country where a person's civil rights, regardless of their ethnic or racial group, regardless of their gender, and regardless of whether they are heterosexual or homosexual, are determined by the Constitution, and not by the Bible or the Koran or any other religious text.

That would include the equal right to marry legally, and to enjoy the benefits afforded to legally married couples.
coldjoint

Fri 3 Jan, 2014 03:39 pm
@firefly,
Let's talk about your double standards.
spendius

Fri 3 Jan, 2014 04:18 pm
@firefly,
It might interest you to know, ff, that the modern intelligent homosexual considers the use of that 3 letter twee euphemism to be homophobic.
0 Replies

BillRM

Fri 3 Jan, 2014 04:21 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
Re: firefly (Post 5540891)
Let's talk about your double standards.

I am almost am feeling sorry for the "lady" as her normal procedure of silently people by labeling them with all manner of evil does not seem to be working.

Words like bigot, racist, pedophiles, alcoholics, drug abused and so on.
coldjoint

Fri 3 Jan, 2014 04:25 pm
@BillRM,
Don't you know when you win an argument with a liberal that makes you a bigot automatically?
0 Replies

firefly

Fri 3 Jan, 2014 04:33 pm
@coldjoint,
You're the one with the double standards, and you clearly don't want to talk about why you don't apply the same criticisms to the right-wing Christian activist groups, who threaten and intimidate to force compliance with their views, that you lodge at LGBT and African-American advocacy groups who do considerably more verbal protesting than any sort of intimidating.

Did the LGBT and African-American advocacy groups try to threaten or intimidate either Robertson personally, or his various business interests, or A & E? No.

Who organized the protests, and the petition drive, to try to force A & E to go along with their way of thinking? Faith Driven Consumers.

And Faith Driven Consumers didn't ask A & E to just consider their viewpoints, as the offended advocacy groups did, they demanded that A & E comply with their views.

Quote:
PETITION TO THE A&E NETWORK DEMANDING THE IMMEDIATE REINSTATEMENT OF DUCK DYNASTY’S PHIL ROBERTSON — #ISTANDWITHPHIL

There are 46 million Faith Driven Consumers in America today who spend 1.75 trillion dollars annually. Should you refuse to equally respect and welcome our legitimately held views, we will gladly stop watching this and all other A&E programming and turn to any reformulation of Duck Dynasty on another network – while simultaneously supporting brands that stand with the show and the Robertson family.

Who turned this into a phony "free speech" issue?--Right-wing politicians like Palin and Cruz, who tried to use that to rally their right-wing Christian base. Beside the fact that Palin later admitted she'd never actually read Robertson's remarks Rolling Eyes, a former governor, and a current U.S. senator, should certainly be familiar with what is defined in the Constitution as "free speech", and the fact that it doesn't apply to the situation with Robertson.

You're the one with the double standards, and you clearly don't want to talk about why you don't apply the same criticisms to the right-wing Christian activist groups, like Faith Driven Consumers, who threaten and intimidate to force compliance with their views, that you lodge at LGBT and African-American advocacy groups.
coldjoint

Fri 3 Jan, 2014 04:40 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
You're the one with the double standards, and you clearly don't want to talk about why you don't apply the same criticisms to the right-wing Christian activist groups,

I never said i did not apply those standards, you are saying I did. That is the difference. Try again.
0 Replies

JTT

Fri 3 Jan, 2014 04:41 pm
@firefly,
firefly: I'll repeat again, --Fortunately, we live in a country where a person's civil rights, regardless of their ethnic or racial group, regardless of their gender, and regardless of whether they are heterosexual or homosexual, are determined by the Constitution, and not by the Bible or the Koran or any other religious text.

--------------------

Are you sure, ff, or is this another of your lies?
0 Replies

JTT

Fri 3 Jan, 2014 04:42 pm
@firefly,
You go for it, you ole sanctimonious gal you!!!
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Sat 4 Jan, 2014 01:32 am
Time for a cartoon -- editorial, that is -- (as if we don't get enough comic relief already, what with all the flaming that goes on here!). Mr. Green

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1186724_699023456796029_1055693675_n.jpg
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Sat 4 Jan, 2014 01:49 am
I find it very interesting that the attempt to manufacture outrage about Phil recommending 15 year old girls for marriage is going no where. Perhaps in a time where the average age for first marriage for a female is 27 this is all too silly to take seriously, so we feel like we can let it go.
Thomas

Sat 4 Jan, 2014 05:05 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
I'm still waiting for you to criticize the tactics of the right-wing Christian groups, who try to silence those who support homosexual rights, and same-sex marriage, through their intimidations.

Fair point. I would have raised it against you myself a few days ago, had I been online. If the shoe was on the other foot, I'm sure you would see this episode as the freedom-of-speech issue that it is.

Suppose it's Christmas 1962. Andy Griffith, having shot season three of his successful TV show, says in an interview that interracial marriage and gay sex are just fine, and that any laws criminalizing them are evil. In response, the John Birch Society pillories all stations carrying his show and organizes boycotts against their advertizers. The stations cave in by firing Griffith. The next TV personality will think twice before endorsing the civil rights of Blacks and gays. Are you seriously disputing that this would have chilled free speech --- maybe not as a legal matter but as a practical matter?

Whatever we end up calling it, something similar started to happen in the Robertson case, and thank goodness it failed. I'm glad that A&E caved in to the Robertsons and the viewership they bring. I'm relieved that Phil Robertson's 'indefinite' suspension fizzled after mere weeks. The fact that his remarks were ignorant and bigoted doesn't change that.
BillRM

Sat 4 Jan, 2014 05:33 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
marriage for a female is 27 this is all too silly to take seriously

Hawkeye for that subset of young women who are giving births as teenagers it would still, on average, be better if they was married then having those children out of wedlock.

Phil marrying his wife at a young age seems to had work out just fine for his wife and their children.