So Saying That Folks Should Follow Christian Morals is NOW A Firing Offense

hawkeye10

Tue 31 Dec, 2013 11:53 am
@firefly,
Quote:
But A & E felt Robertson was trashing their reputation by the nature of his offensive and bigoted remarks. He works for them, he's identified with them, they felt his comments reflected on them.

I have no doubt but that exact same explanation was used over and over again generations ago to fire guys who did not go to church on Sunday.

We wised up, then we got stupid again.
0 Replies

firefly

Tue 31 Dec, 2013 11:59 am
@engineer,
Quote:
The support for consequence free speech seems highly selective.

Because the entire "free speech" business was a phony issue manufactured by the religious right-wing pressure groups and promoted by politicos like Palin and Cruz.

They want comments of the type made by Robinson to be considered "acceptable" because they are rooted in evangelical Christian thinking.

Robertson's employer had the right to regard those comments as quite unacceptable, regardless of whether his thinking was rooted in Biblical sources, and they could have fired him if they wanted to.

These same faith-based groups and politicians did not support Paula Dean's "free speech"--or Bashir's or Baldwin's when they got fired. They were more about defending "Christian morality" in the case of Robertson, and they latched onto bogus free speech and religious freedom issues to do that.

And Palin later admitted she had never actually read what Robertson said in that GQ interview. Rolling Eyes

There is no speech that is really free of consequences in terms of employment or anything else.
hawkeye10

Tue 31 Dec, 2013 12:02 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Robertson's employer had the right to regard those comments as quite unacceptable

because SCOTUS has said that employers have nearly carte blanche rights to try to manipulate employee off duty behavior, which is a travesty.
JTT

Tue 31 Dec, 2013 12:07 pm
@hawkeye10,
Yeah a real travesty, Hawk. But denying compensation to the
Vietnamese who sued for the WMDs the USA spread all over them
Is just good law, right?
0 Replies

firefly

Tue 31 Dec, 2013 12:09 pm
@hawkeye10,
Now you want government meddling into how private businesses make decisions? Private businesses have great leeway, in terms of how they make and handle their business decisions. Most people want it to remain that way.
JTT

Tue 31 Dec, 2013 12:13 pm
@firefly,
Why might Ms Fair & Balanced be telling lies supporting a lying Izzy to the detriment of BillRM?
firefly

Tue 31 Dec, 2013 12:14 pm
@Germlat,
Quote:
Do you think there is the slightest possibility this could all be scripted for the benefit of sensationalism and ratings?

Yes. That's certainly a possibility.

And that could also apply to GQ magazine, who might have asked Robertson certain questions knowing in advance what sort of controversial answers they'd get--they want to sell their magazine.
Germlat

Tue 31 Dec, 2013 12:17 pm
@firefly,
Of course. And this is true of all reality TV which I think is garbage and is at best ad lib scripted..cheap in other words
0 Replies

firefly

Tue 31 Dec, 2013 12:20 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Why might Ms Fair & Balanced be telling lies supporting a lying Izzy to the detriment of BillRM?

What makes you think I'm telling lies?

Did you read BillRM's original account of what happened in the park? The reason he related the entire incident was because he was regarded as being a possible pedophile.

It's BillRM who is doing the lying now.

And BillRM does think it's just fine when a teen gets profiled for being a suspicious criminal type simply because he's black and walking around wearing a hoodie, but he squawks like hell when he's the target of profiling.
izzythepush

Tue 31 Dec, 2013 12:38 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

Quote:

What makes you think I'm telling lies?

Did you read BillRM's original account of what happened in the park? The reason he related the entire incident was because he was regarded as being a possible pedophile.

It's BillRM who is doing the lying now.

Have you noticed how much JTT sounds like Oralboy whenever his back's to the wall?
hawkeye10

Tue 31 Dec, 2013 12:46 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

Now you want government meddling into how private businesses make decisions? Private businesses have great leeway, in terms of how they make and handle their business decisions. Most people want it to remain that way.

I want employers to have the right to hire who ever they want, but they should only be able to fire for poor work or lack of work.
JTT

Tue 31 Dec, 2013 01:16 pm
@firefly,
He was BEING regarded as a pedophile. That makes it alright in your
book for Izzy to leap to the completely unwarranted conclusion that
Bill IS a pedophile?

And you don't think you are telling lies by providing material support
for such lies and the consummate liar, izzy?
DrewDad

Tue 31 Dec, 2013 01:18 pm
@engineer,
My apologies; I'm late to the discussion and didn't realize the point you were making.
0 Replies

JTT

Tue 31 Dec, 2013 01:20 pm
@izzythepush,
My back isn't to the wall, izzy. I'm facing this head on while you
sit hiding in your smelly little ignore wall.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Tue 31 Dec, 2013 01:27 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
That's true of the Sacco story as well. What she did was on her own time but her position as PR exec brought her employer's name into the discussion.

I thought she was on an airplane. I assume the employer paid the airfare. That is not her own time.

When did these rights of free speech transfer to constraints against an employer? Many people have been fired for saying the wrong thing at the wrong time.
JTT

Tue 31 Dec, 2013 01:37 pm
@IRFRANK,
A lot of assumptions, F.

So much for the grand experiment.
0 Replies

Germlat

Tue 31 Dec, 2013 01:44 pm
@hawkeye10,
I'm with you on being able to fire for poor work..but this is why processes to prove it must be in place..if not anyone can do it.
0 Replies

firefly

Tue 31 Dec, 2013 01:51 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
He was BEING regarded as a pedophile. That makes it alright in your
book for Izzy to leap to the completely unwarranted conclusion that
Bill IS a pedophile?

I didn't see where izzy said that.

You're the one now leaping to unwarranted conclusions, and lying about what izzy said.

izzy said this....
Quote:
That's his cover story. BillRM was ejected from a park because he was using kittens to entice small children. It's a well known tactic used by paedophiles.

That's true, that is what BillRM was doing--he was using the kittens to entice young children. That's why he took the kittens to a park, because he hoped to entice the children with them.

And animal lures are a well-known tactic used by pedophiles.

Where did izzy say that BillRM IS a pedophile?

You're the one who's jumping to unwarranted conclusions, JTT, something you do all the time.

You should be more careful about distorting things people say, most people regard that as lying, JTT. BillRM does that sort of thing all the time, and it's transparent when he does it too.

JTT

Tue 31 Dec, 2013 02:06 pm
@firefly,
Such distortions, FF. you are as bad as Izzy.

Neither of you two pieces of scum have the foggiest notion whether
Bill was trying to "entice" children for the sordid purposes that you two
seem intent on ascribing to Bill.

Joe McCarthy would be proud of both you and Izzy.

Then you, in your normal equanimous fashion, equate trying to give kittens away with "using kittens is a well known pedophile ploy".

Absolutely despicable tactics, Firefly. Good job.
hawkeye10

Tue 31 Dec, 2013 02:09 pm
@IRFRANK,
Quote:
When did these rights of free speech transfer to constraints against an employer?

back when we decided that Bully employers should not have unlimited power to control the lives of their workers. This was a big part of what the Union Movement was about fixing, but we have lost this

Quote:
I thought she was on an airplane. I assume the employer paid the airfare. That is not her own time.

execs are now 24/7 employees, they never are on their own time, which is why the standard needs to be what they do in the performance of their job duties. If this was a company twitter account then what she said should be actionable by the employer, if it was a personal account then not.