So Saying That Folks Should Follow Christian Morals is NOW A Firing Offense

hawkeye10

Sun 29 Dec, 2013 03:13 am
@OmSigDAVID,
That is great, but if 80% of born again's think that Homo's are sinning why is anyone getting all hot and bothered when a born again expounds on the subject? What right has anyone got to be shocked and offended?

Reading up I think the disconnect here was that Glaads mission is public shamming, A&E assumed that they should be ashamed, and Phil absolutely refused to be ashamed. There was no way they were ever going to end up on the same page. Glaad ended up alone.
OmSigDAVID

Sun 29 Dec, 2013 03:30 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
That is great, but if 80% of born again's think that Homo's
are sinning why is anyone getting all hot and bothered when a born
again expounds on the subject?
U r saying that it is like a Catholic
speaking against freedom of abortion; paradigmatic.

I believe that a tacit tenet of political correctness
is that only the authoritarians have a right to express their views.
The rest of us r supposed to be cowering in shame
silently pretending not to be Individualists.

It behooves real Americans to prove liberals to be INCORRECT.

David
hawkeye10

Sun 29 Dec, 2013 04:02 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
he rest of us r supposed to be cowering in shame
silently pretending not to be Individualists.

we are supposed to have the decency to remain silent if our opinion does not match powers direction.
0 Replies

BillRM

Sun 29 Dec, 2013 05:40 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
That sounds good. My Spanish is not too good, for Mexico.
Do u speak Spanish ?

Not needed more people speak English in the resorts areas then in some parts of Miami.
0 Replies

firefly

Sun 29 Dec, 2013 12:47 pm
@hawkeye10,
What does that article I posted have to do with Phil Robertson?

Well, while people were busy arguing about what an insignificant reality TV personality said about homosexuality, more states were legalizing same-sex marriage. And, if legalizing same-sex marriage was not a significant cultural and political issue right now, I doubt that anyone would care what one evangelical Christian in Louisiana said about homosexuals.

You are also cherry-picking data and failing to appropriately look at statistical breakdowns and the increasing acceptance of homosexuality.
http://www.people-press.org/files/2013/06/6-6-13-21.png

Quote:
As support for gay marriage continues to increase, nearly three-quarters of Americans – 72% – say that legal recognition of same-sex marriage is “inevitable.” This includes 85% of gay marriage supporters, as well as 59% of its opponents.

The national survey by the Pew Research Center, conducted May 1-5 among 1,504 adults, finds that support for same-sex marriage continues to grow: For the first time in Pew Research Center polling, just over half (51%) of Americans favor allowing gays and lesbians to marry legally. Yet the issue remains divisive, with 42% saying they oppose legalizing gay marriage. Opposition to gay marriage – and to societal acceptance of homosexuality more generally – is rooted in religious attitudes, such as the belief that engaging in homosexual behavior is a sin....

Religious belief continues to be an important factor in opposition to societal acceptance of homosexuality and same-sex marriage.

Overall, the share of Americans who say that homosexuality should be accepted by society has increased from 47% to 60% over the past decade, while the percentage saying it should be discouraged has fallen from 45% to 31%.

Yet among those who attend religious services weekly or more, there continues to be slightly more opposition than support for societal acceptance of homosexuality. And when the nearly one-third of Americans who say homosexuality should be discouraged are asked in an open-ended question why they feel this way, by far the most common reason –given by 52% – is that homosexuality conflicts with their religious or moral beliefs....

Across most demographic subgroups, including most religious groups, the percentage saying homosexuality should be accepted has increased over the past decade. Nonetheless, about half (48%) of those who attend religious services weekly or more often say homosexuality should be discouraged. Among less frequent attenders, 71% favor societal acceptance of homosexuals....

The public is divided over whether engaging in homosexual behavior is a sin: 45% say it is a sin while an identical percentage says it is not. In 2003, a majority (55%) viewed homosexual behavior as was sinful, while 33% disagreed.
http://www.people-press.org/2013/06/06/section-3-religious-belief-and-views-of-homosexuality/

No one is arguing that religious affiliation doesn't affect views of homosexuality, but there are considerable differences in attitudes across the religious spectrum, and they also depend on how affiliated and church-going people are.

No matter how you look at it, Phil Robertson is not speaking for most Christians.
Quote:
That is great, but if 80% of born again's think that Homo's are sinning why is anyone getting all hot and bothered when a born again expounds on the subject? What right has anyone got to be shocked and offended?

Because Robertson didn't just say he thought homosexuals were "sinning"--he's connected their behavior with bestiality and, compared them to “terrorists” and “drunks,” he's accused them of being murderous, among other things, and of planning and engaging in "all kinds of evil."

It's not just in GQ that Robertson has made such anti-gay comments, he's made them elsewhere, and he's been saying these things for years.
Quote:
“They’re full of murder, envy, strife, hatred. They are insolent, arrogant, God-haters. They are heartless, they are faithless, they are senseless, they are ruthless. They invent ways of doing evil."

No one says that Robertson doesn't have the right to view homosexuality as unacceptable, whether based on his religious views or other factors. It's his personal defamation of an entire group, and his negative stereotyping of the characters of homosexuals--his personal expressions of bigotry--that got people "all hot and bothered." And, with Robertson, the religion appeared to be an excuse or a license to express bigotry, and that feeling was reinforced by his comments about how much happier blacks were in Louisiana in the pre-civil rights era of Jim Crow. The man holds bigoted views that go beyond religious beliefs. That's really the point, and that's what other people, including other Christians, reacted to.
Quote:
Reading up I think the disconnect here was that Glaads mission is public shamming, A&E assumed that they should be ashamed, and Phil absolutely refused to be ashamed. There was no way they were ever going to end up on the same page. Glaad ended up alone.

G.L.A.A.D. was only one of several civil rights and anti-defamation groups, for both blacks and homosexuals, that reacted to Robertson's statements, and what they, quite rightly, responded to, was not his religious views that homosexuality is sinful, but rather his offensive "vile stereotypes" about an entire group, and the impact that such negative, and inaccurate, stereotypes have on people's lives.

G.L.A.A.D. responded to the man's bigotry, and not his religion.

And G.L.A.A.D. did not wind up alone, many people agreed with them--including A & E.. And what the anti-defamation and civil rights activist groups wanted was to discuss the matter with A & E, and they apparently accomplished that. And A & E has agreed to promote a public service campaign advocating tolerance and acceptance, to help confront bigotry.

It's not true that Phil Robertson "absolutely refused to be ashamed"--he considerably backed off from the offending remarks--by making a statement about how he doesn't hate or judge anyone, how he treats everyone with respect, etc.--because he felt he had been misjudged on the basis of his comments. He did not continue to defend his personal stereotypes of gays, nor did he publicly protest his "suspension" from A & E. Even his own sons, who share his religious beliefs, had not defended what they acknowledged was his "coarse" manner of expressing his views, nor did they say they shared his bigoted and stereotyped opinions of homosexuals as a group.

You seem to have missed the point of what the outrage was about--it wasn't about this man's religious views of homosexuality as sinful.

Given the fact that you regularly refer to gays as "fags" that really doesn't surprise me. You're so demeaning of gays, you'd hardly be bothered when others do it.

But, since you also don't think people should remain silent when they have opposing opinions, you should applaud the fact that G.L.A.A.D,, and the Human Rights Campaign, and Now, and the N.A.A.C.P. and Rainbow/PUSH, and who knows how many other activist groups, spoke out in criticism of Robertson's offensive stereotypical remarks.

Your hypocritical petticoat is showing, Hawkeye.

jcboy

Sun 29 Dec, 2013 01:04 pm
Those who don't think its a big deal and its a freedom of speech thing by those who already have rights and all the privileges of majority rights against the ones who don't have them are the same people who would you also be ok with movies advertising and celebrating slavery. How about African Americans eating at separate lunch counters and on the back of the bus or how about the KKK railing against interracial marriages? If you think that was all ok then of course you would think AMC showing this in theaters is as American as apple pie.
hawkeye10

Sun 29 Dec, 2013 01:21 pm
@jcboy,
Quote:
are the same people who would you also be ok with movies advertising and celebrating slavery

absolutely, speak freely and may the best ideas win the day.
hawkeye10

Sun 29 Dec, 2013 01:29 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
It's not true that Phil Robertson "absolutely refused to be ashamed"--he considerably backed off from the offending remarks--by making a statement about how he doesn't hate or judge anyone, how he treats everyone with respect, etc.-

according to first hand accounts he is always a nice guy, and he has said often and loudly in his life that he loves everyone. this was nothing new and was no backing down from his opinion that homosexuality is a sin condemned by God and thus people should not do it.

Quote:
But, since you also don't think people should remain silent when they have opposing opinions, you should applaud the fact that G.L.A.A.D,, and the Human Rights Campaign, and Now, and the N.A.A.C.P. and Rainbow/PUSH, and who knows how many other activist groups, spoke out in criticism of Robertson's offensive stereotypical remarks.

I am, my criticism is leveled at A&E, and anyone else who faints when GLAAD launches into their hysterics.
0 Replies

jcboy

Sun 29 Dec, 2013 01:31 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
are the same people who would you also be ok with movies advertising and celebrating slavery

absolutely, speak freely and may the best ideas win the day.

Your ideas don’t count because you’re a hot shot swinger dude into BDSM who likes hearing about his wife sleeping with other men while your having your ass tickled with a feather. Cool
hawkeye10

Sun 29 Dec, 2013 01:46 pm
Quote:
“Who the hell let them talk to GQ in the first place?” one veteran wondered. “This is their biggest show. Are they going to get a bigger audience by talking to some snarky reporter from GQ? Where is the upside? There is none. Zero.

Chimed in another: “GQ is not a Duck Dynasty-friendly place, and [A&E] knew they had talent that talks and goes off the reservation. What the **** you gonna get from GQ? It’s not going to get you a new audience. Then they left him alone with the reporter.” (A&E had a rep on site, but the reporter nonetheless managed to squeeze in some alone time with Phil, during which he cut loose, according to media reports).

Robertson, on the other hand, is guilty only of consistent behavior. “He has not flinched. He’s very consistent in his opinion. He has gone off [A&E’s] script, but he’s perfectly on-script for him,” said one TV exec. “There was some sincerity to the show – unless it was all bullshit. Turns out, it wasn’t.”

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/duck-dynasty-debacle-tv-industry-abuzz-execs-cite-183905721.html

Sweet justice if this whipping A&E has taken was set up by their own incompetence.....

More money will probably salve the sting nicely.
0 Replies

BillRM

Sun 29 Dec, 2013 02:02 pm
@jcboy,
Quote:
Your ideas don’t count because you’re a hot shot swinger dude into BDSM who likes hearing about his wife sleeping with other men while your having your ass tickled with a feather. Cool

So your opinions does not matter as your prefer a penis up your ass and or putting a penis up someone else ass???

I am kind of confused what does your or Hawkeye sexual behaviors behind closed doors have to do with anything?

I off hand do not think that Phil would be happy with any of us as I am an atheist for that matter.

Still both I and Hawkeye have no problems with Phil expressing his opinions concerning us so why do you have a problem with him doing so?
jcboy

Sun 29 Dec, 2013 02:07 pm
@BillRM,
Yours doesn’t count either because you’ve never had enough sense to come in out of the rain.
0 Replies

jcboy

Sun 29 Dec, 2013 02:43 pm
Let's get them girls married off when they are 15 or 16 when they can cook and pick your ducks. If you wait till they are 20, the only skill they will have is picking pockets. Right wing Christian halfwit!

Duck Dynasty star: Girls should carry a Bible, cook and marry ‘when they are 15′

Quote:
Recently uncovered video indicates that Duck Dynasty star Phil Robertson may have fringe views — other than those on homosexuality and civil rights — that most Americans would find far outside the mainstream.

In a controversial interview with GQ that was published online this month, Robertson had compared homosexuality to bestiality and terrorism. He also said that African-Americans were happy during the Jim Crow-era.

The A&E network briefly suspended the reality TV star before bowing to pressure from fans and reinstating him only days later.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/robertson_15yogirls_11229a-615x345.jpg
hawkeye10

Sun 29 Dec, 2013 02:56 pm
@jcboy,
Quote:
And Robertson practices what he preaches. He began dating his wife, Kay, when she was only 14 and he was 18. They waited until Kay was 16 to get married.

sounds like the guy is speaking from experience....who is to say he is wrong?
hawkeye10

Sun 29 Dec, 2013 03:08 pm
@hawkeye10,
the more I hear about Duke Dude the more I like him, not because i agree with him because I mostly do not, but the guy seems to live by some sort of a code of conduct that includes honesty.

lovely.
firefly

Sun 29 Dec, 2013 03:10 pm
@jcboy,
It should also be considered that one of those who tried to twist this into a "freedom of speech" issue--Sarah Palin--later admitted she hadn't even read Robertson's remarks. Had she done so, she might not have been so fast to rush to defend him, or to attack his employer for "suspending" him. A & E was not attacking Christianity--they were reacting to bigoted, and offensive statements made by Robertson, that are unrelated to expressions of Christian faith or belief.

The KKK also used religion as a smokescreen for bigotry and violence--those were crosses--religious symbols--they were burning on people's lawns.

And the faith-based groups that have been carrying on that their particular "Christian family values views" are being silenced, by media outlets like A & E, are really reacting to the fact they feel the ground slipping out from under them, because same-sex marriage is being approved by more and more states, the Defense of Marriage Act has gone down in flames, and homosexuality is increasingly acceptable to more and more Americans, particularly the younger generation, and complete legalization of same-sex marriage is an almost certainty. "Hollywood" and the "liberal media" is simply a handy scapegoat--the entire tide of social, cultural, legislative, and judicial opinion, is moving against them in terms of legitimizing homosexual relationships and unions.

What's really as "American as apple pie" is the fact that this country has always moved in the direction of becoming more inclusive, and extending greater equality of rights to more groups--to non-whites, to women, and the same is now happening with the LGBT community--and we have become stronger and better for doing that. We now have a black President, the next President might be female, and some day, a same-sex couple might live in the White House as the First Family, just as an inter-racial couple, the new Mayor's family, now will occupy Gracie Mansion in NYC.

The times they are a'changing. Not everyone will be happy with that, but that's been true with all other social and cultural changes as well.

0 Replies

engineer

Sun 29 Dec, 2013 03:10 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Still both I and Hawkeye have no problems with Phil expressing his opinions concerning us so why do you have a problem with him doing so?

But you do seem to have a problem with other people expressing their opinions of Phil's opinions. Phil's opinions seem to be valued free speech while those who disagree are the PC police. This seems to be a common thread. If someone says something outrageous and people speak up against them, they are trying to shut down free speech while the racist or bigot or whatever is just expressing his beliefs.

I don't have a problem with Phil stating his beliefs; much worse has been said by other people. I do strongly disagree with what he said and I don't have a problem with others who also disagree exercising their free speech. It's then up to A&E as to which group they want to please as their's is a completely commercial enterprise. As to the title, Phil's speech, not only in the GQ article but elsewhere has not been "follow Christian morals". As to whether it is a firing offense, private companies in the US can hire and fire pretty much at will. Tweet something offensive and off you go. I'm really surprised the Sacco story did not get some traction here. Her offense was much less than Phil's and she was fired before she even knew she'd offended anyone.
firefly

Sun 29 Dec, 2013 03:23 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
the more I hear about Duke Dude the more I like him, not because i agree with him because I mostly do not, but the guy seems to live by some sort of a code of conduct that includes honesty.

Honesty? Not when he makes all kinds of offensive and stereotypical remarks about gays--“They’re full of murder, envy, strife, hatred. They are insolent, arrogant, God-haters. They are heartless, they are faithless, they are senseless, they are ruthless. They invent ways of doing evil"--which are essentially lies, that slander an entire group--and then he backtracks and says he doesn't hate anyone, or judge anyone, and treats everyone with respect, this man isn't exactly being honest. Either he doesn't really believe his own vile crap about homosexuals, or he acts like a social phony in his actual dealings with people.

He seems anything but honest.

BillRM

Sun 29 Dec, 2013 04:12 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
sounds like the guy is speaking from experience....who is to say he is wrong?

That was common at the same time that most marriages last a lifetime and the out of wedlock birth rate was less the ten percents.

So yes who is to say he is not right?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sun 29 Dec, 2013 04:13 pm
@jcboy,
So what Robertson said was the equivalent of celebrating slavery?

I don't know a whole lot about him but I don't think he is actually making gays do anything that might be the equivalent of forcing blacks to eat at searate lunch counters or riding in the back of the bus. From the interview excerpts I read he didn't seem to be advocating that gays be treated as second class citizens, but maybe he does.

Speaking one's opinion is not taking action.

I have a feeling that anyone who opines that homosexuality is a sin, no matter how reserved and circumspect their language would face the same reaction Robertson received.

I don't think the simple fact that someone is sexually attracted to a person of the same sex (or acts on that attraction) is necessarily immoral or a "sin."

[I hesitate to make a blanket statement as I do belive that not everyone who engages in homosexuality does so because that is the way they are wired. There are libertines among us who go to any extreme to satisfy their addiction to pleasure. I find such behavior immoral. To be certain, I am not suggesting, by any means, that anyone who engages in homosexual sex is a libertine)

I think they should be allowed to legally marry, and I believe they should have very basic protection from discriminate based on their sexual orientation.

However, I simply do not find any validity in a comparison between gays in today's world and African-Americans in the Jim Crow days (let alone the days of slavery).

He said what he said and people can say what they want about what he said, and the people who don't think he should be silenced or that he is a monster. It doesn't, however, make any of these people correct and often reveals unflattering characteristics.

Inevitably it is the degree of sanctimony contained in these comments that I find the most noxious.