So Saying That Folks Should Follow Christian Morals is NOW A Firing Offense

woiyo

Tue 24 Dec, 2013 11:45 am
Amazing how a citizen can not have an opinion any more. whether you agree or disagree with his opinion, he has the right to express it. The fact that his employer fired him, is a bit disturbing. Did A&E provide him with a list of what his opinions should be in order to keep his job? A&E's actions are a form of suppression.
0 Replies

BillRM

Tue 24 Dec, 2013 11:48 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Finn dAbuzz (Post 5530604)
Quote:
A majority exerting economic pressure is not censorship or totalitarianism, it's the market.

What majority?

This seems a clear case of a minority and a small one at that dictating to the majority not the other way around.
Setanta

Tue 24 Dec, 2013 11:53 am
Nobody was "fired." Not only that, this entire tempest in a teapot has upped the ratings of the show. I would not be at all surprised if it were learned that A & E colluded in this horsepoop.
hawkeye10

Tue 24 Dec, 2013 11:57 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Nobody was "fired." Not only that, this entire tempest in a teapot has upped the ratings of the show. I would not be at all surprised if it were learned that A & E colluded in this horsepoop.

this corporation, this family, this guy are not the major issue, the condition of our collective conversation is. this event is part of a pattern of practices to suppress voices that power has decided should not be heard, this is anti American, anti freedom, and is most definitely not in our best interests.

edit: I see that Twitter is blocking pro duck dude traffic, this kind of suppression of voices is deeply offensive to me, and I dont care who does it, government or non government.
parados

Tue 24 Dec, 2013 12:33 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
Kids cards for veterans refused; ‘Merry Christmas,’‘God bless you’ not allowed!

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2013/12/24/kids-cards-for-veterans-refused-merry-christmasgod-bless-you-not-allowed-90288

I guess "Happy Holidays Homo" would get through.

As usual, the RWers make up crap and then believe it.

Cards with religious themes are given to the Chaplain service to distribute to service members. But don't let a good lie get in the way of your agenda cj.
Below viewing threshold (view)
firefly

Tue 24 Dec, 2013 01:11 pm
Quote:
Juan Williams: Right Wanted Bashir, Maher Fired, But ‘Cry Foul’ Over Duck Dynasty Star?
by Evan McMurry
December 22nd, 2013

On Fox News Sunday, Fox News analyst Juan Williams called the conservative outrage over last week’s suspension of Duck Dynasty star Phil Robertson hypocritical, given the right’s history of hounding MSNBC host Martin Bashir and others—which is notable as Williams, as he himself pointed out, is a Fox News analyst because he was fired from NPR for a remark about Muslims made in 2010.

“The right goes after Martin Bashir, they wanted Martin Bashir fired,” Williams said. “Remember Dixie Chicks, or Tim Robbins, or Bill Maher? All of that, the right says get them out of here. But then they want to cry foul when people are intolerant of them.”

“The reason that the right is so strongly backing this is because they think this is a potential wedge issue, especially with older, white, evangelical voters,” Williams said.

“When I got fired, it was part of an honest debate about terrorism in our society. My employer didn’t like it and fired me. But this is not about honest debate. What was said actually shuts down debate. It was ugly language about homosexual acts. It invites bigotry. It invites people to hate people who are gay. And this is amazing, because it is not in the Christian tradition to make judgments about them and to put them in a box.”
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/juan-williams-right-wanted-martin-bashir-bill-maher-fired-but-cry-foul-over-duck-dynasty-star/

The Fox News panel, on which Williams made those comments, included George Will, among others, all of whom agreed this is not a First Amendment issue, and it's a private matter between an employer and employee, it's up to the employer to decide if a line has been crossed, its been blown out of proportion, and it has been politicized by those on the right, for their own reasons.

wmwcjr

Tue 24 Dec, 2013 01:37 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:
And you will be shouting racist and bigot the whole time just as it was planned in Hungary in the 1930s.

Please understand that I'm not trying to embarrass you. I'm simply interested in your reference to Hungary from a historical standpoint. I don't understand why you've referred specifically to this country, as opposed to another. What was being planned, and who was doing the planning? The political situation in Hungary (a country with a horribly tragic history in the 20th century) during the 1930s was radically different from any period in the U.S. Hungary was being ruled by a right-wing authoritarian regime that would enter into an alliance with Nazi Germany, an ill-fated decision that Horthy would come to deeply regret. I don't see the connection with current social and political trends in the U.S., as worrisome as they may be. I was just interested in your reference from a historical viewpoint. It's no big deal, but I'm curious.

hawkeye10

Tue 24 Dec, 2013 01:51 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
What was said actually shuts down debate.
language that is disapproved of by one side never shuts down debate, what shuts down debate is one side or both leaving the debate....it is a choice made. dont blame the other guys language for what you choose to do, own what you choose to do, take some ******* responsibility for your actions.

Quote:
It was ugly language about homosexual acts
if homosexual acts are ugly then using ugly language to describe them is appropriate. If you dont think that homosexuality is ugly then make your case.
coldjoint

Tue 24 Dec, 2013 01:52 pm
@wmwcjr,
http://kitmantv.blogspot.com/2009/07/history-of-political-correctness.html

Here is a video that will explain my post.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Tue 24 Dec, 2013 02:00 pm
@wmwcjr,
Gyula Gömbös and Miklós Horthy are heroes of the actual (extreme right-wing) government again ...
hawkeye10

Tue 24 Dec, 2013 02:01 pm
in the past "you cant say that" was either authorized by God or by government, the current strain of this is no less ugly because it is being done in a new way. however, this does point to one of the dangers of a corporate class run society.....since they are mostly only interested in making money the bedrock of democracy goes undefended. Democracy does not work without a functioning 4th estate, nor does it function absent free and intelligent debate, nor does it function without education. All are deeply sick.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Tue 24 Dec, 2013 02:02 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Merry Christmas, Wally.
Walter Hinteler

Tue 24 Dec, 2013 02:09 pm
@coldjoint,
Thank you, waterman.
Setanta

Tue 24 Dec, 2013 02:12 pm
@hawkeye10,
Twitter, is not, of course, and organ of government. Congratulations, Whackeye--this is your typical Chicken Little squawk.
coldjoint

Tue 24 Dec, 2013 02:15 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Thank you, waterman.

Sorry buddy, I am all Coldjoint, and have proven it.
coldjoint

Tue 24 Dec, 2013 02:17 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Twitter, is not, of course, and organ of government

Neither is Snopes. Let your buddy Parados in on that.
hawkeye10

Tue 24 Dec, 2013 02:18 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Twitter, is not, of course, and organ of government. Congratulations, Whackeye--this is your typical Chicken Little squawk.
as has been pointed out to you I am against all attempts to silence speakers, no matter who is behind it or what means they use to do it.
Setanta

Tue 24 Dec, 2013 02:18 pm
@coldjoint,
Don't try to drag me into your idiocy. Of course, we all know you don't need any help to be an idiot.
Setanta

Tue 24 Dec, 2013 02:20 pm
@hawkeye10,
It has been pointed out to you, ad naseum, that you never provide examples of people's speech being shut down. If this poor man (Rolling Eyes) truly were the victim of the suppression of speech, we wouldn't be talking about it. You are as full of sh*t as the proverbial Christmas goose. Happy Holidays, Bubba.