The President is speaking in a bit (WATCH IT!)

kickycan

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 07:54 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
kickycan wrote:
I thought his basic message was that America is obligated to spread freedom. Is that what you are talking about Bill?
You bet your ass kicky Exclamation

It does sound like a great idea. But the question is, how? How do we spread freedom? What has Bush done to spread freedom, and are his methods working? Are they sound?
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 07:56 pm
I am thinking seriously here. This performance is absolutely devastating to any thinking viewer in the country. My fear is that the media and other conscripts will all mellow out and mumble and, well, uh, the format is not his own...etc. We are not hardnosed enough in this country to tell the truth to power.

I have not been until this moment so utterly gob-smacked by what we have as the figurehead, the empty suit of office in this country.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 07:57 pm
Kara? wrote:
OCCOM: Do you remember Vietnam ?

OUr government insisted we HAD to win that war, or communism would take over the world.

We lost tens of thousands of young Americans becsuse of the stubborness of our leaders who would not admit their mistake.

Invading Iraq unilaterally was a mistake. The region is MORE unstable than ever. We cannot bear the costs, financial and human, of what has the potential to become another Vietnam.

Just what I've read and heard. I was born in 1968. Not much chance of the Chinese joining our enemy here. No chance of anyone else of consequence joining forces with our enemies here. Zero chance of escalating to a Nuclear Holocaust here. A president who wont hesitate to do what's necessary here. NO, I don't think this is Vietnam. If everyone can take off their hyper-partisan hats off here for a second; you may begin to understand what he meant when he said Iraqi's are human beings... and human beings have a right to freedom. As the unrivalled superpower of the world, the responsibility falls on us to deliver it. And deliver it we will.

Ps Go ahead and wish for an actor, or a con-man to speak eloquently for you. In the mean time I'll keep trying to hear what the man in charge is trying to say.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Spreading freedom by force is tantamount to spreading a blanket using a steam roller.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Freedom from who? Freedom for who? At what cost?

I'd be frightened to be an American parent these days.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 07:58 pm
kickycan wrote:
I just saw a typical politician move. A reporter asked him point blank: "One of the biggest criticisms of you Mr. Bush is that you never admit a mistake, no matter what the issue is. Do you feel that this is a fair criticism?"

His "answer": Well, I think the American people know where I stand, and I think the world is a better place without Saddam Hussein.

In what world is that an answer to that question?

His....
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 07:59 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
So it turns out the way it always does. The 'anybody but Bush' crowd heard what they wanted to hear. And the rest of us heard the strength, resolve, and determination we were hoping for.

Oh come on. If people think Bush did badly, they thus must be the dreaded "anybody but Bush" crowd - implied to be a minority, in comparison with "the rest of us"?

You may have noticed Brand X was posting, up there, too - there's one poster who definitely doesnt fit the liberal ABB mold - he despises Kerry about as much as anyone, right BX?

There's this logic of pigeonholing anyone who criticizes Bush as being part of some irrelevant, resentful librul ABB minority ... but it's getting ever harder to do now that, one after another, former Bush admin officials too, are starting to say the same things ...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 08:00 pm
He prempted "American Idol" -- where's Simon when you need him?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 08:00 pm
Quote:
Secretary of State Powell and Secretary of State (sic) Rumsfeld and a number of NATO defense and foreign ministers are exploring a more formal role for NATO, such as turning the Polish-led division into a NATO operation and. . . .

Joe is right. He really did say that.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 08:02 pm
I can just hear Simon critiquing Bush's performance: That was the most horrible thing I've ever heard! If that speech were any worse, we'd have to shut down the country!
0 Replies

nimh

kickycan wrote:
It does sound like a great idea. But the question is, how? How do we spread freedom? What has Bush done to spread freedom, and are his methods working? Are they sound?

Them's the questions ...
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Where's McGentrix? Foxfyre is feeling painted into a corner..... Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 08:03 pm
Habibi, that is not true of many of us. I am surprised at your posting. This is not what I know of you.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 08:03 pm
Thanks for that roger, I don't watch TV and was scouring the online news like mad. I thought he'd indicated that Rummy would be appointed Secretary of State based on Joe's comment and was understandably shocked.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 08:04 pm
A bumbling fool.
I listened on NPR. Man, I cringed listening to this ramblin'
10 yr. old, with barely normal IQ, speech a fying. How anyone can say that they deem this baffon their leader is incredible. He is either a sociopath, in deep denial, or highly delusional of his actions.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 08:06 pm
Kara

What is not true of many of us?

I'm not sure what you're referring to ...
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 08:07 pm
Quote:
Freedom from who? Freedom for who? At what cost?

Beth, yes, it is scary to be an American parent. But it is scarier to be an American citizen. We are imposing "freedom" and "democracy" on our timetable on a country we have invaded. But we do have George Bush telling us that we are "good" and everyone else is "evil."
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 08:11 pm
Re: A bumbling fool.
pistoff wrote:
I listened on NPR. Man, I cringed listening to this ramblin'
10 yr. old, with barely normal IQ, speech a fying. How anyone can say that they deem this baffon their leader is incredible. He is either a sociopath, in deep denial, or highly delusional of his actions.

With the body languge it was even worse! Confused
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 08:11 pm
nimh, I was referring to your earlier post. In fact, we all are piling in and not sure to whom we are responding.

Later. When the blood thins....
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 08:15 pm
That was one of the finest speeches I have seen. Reminds me of many of Reagan's great speeches.
0 Replies