Obama may have lied, or "misspoke" after all

DrewDad

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2013 08:09 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Does it matter what plans people have? If they are happy with what they have shouldn't they be allowed to keep it? This sounds like an example of the govt once again telling us what is good for us whether we want it or not.

Does that sound like liberty to you?

Since we're in a Democracy, "the government" is me and thee.

Next, define "liberty." You want the liberty to die of a curable disease? You want the liberty to face the choice of bankruptcy or illness?

That damned gubmint! Always meddling by providing consumer protections! Sheesh! If I want metal filings in my canned goods, I should be able to have metal filings in my canned goods!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2013 08:13 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

How about the cost of Insurance going up? Today was the first day of our open enrollment for my works health insurance. I just found out in the last hour or so, that my insurance is going to go up by about $175 a month, that is almost a 50% increase. So much for Affordable Insurance!

And without Obamacare, your premiums never increased, right? Because everything bad that ever happens is Obama's fault.

Good grief, you're an idiot.
gungasnake

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2013 08:29 pm
@mysteryman,
Obungacare is just another redistribution scheme. The main problem with it is that it doesn't fix anything (costs) in real world terms.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 01:05 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

Obungacare is just another redistribution scheme. The main problem with it is that it doesn't fix anything (costs) in real world terms.

the kids will be thrilled when they figure out that they are paying for this. it is alarming how almost all of the conversation about paying the bills for this get no further than how much individuals and families will pay next year. NO ONE is talking about how much healthcare costs this nation, how these huge bills are ruining us, or what we might do to solve the problem.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 06:57 am
@Baldimo,
I can certainly understand - this happened to me last year - I live in MA so we went through it already. It really sucks because it doesn't just hit rich people - who are in a better position to absorb the increase, but pretty much everyone that works. At least this is what happened in MA.

It is difficult for families that are just getting by - those that any decrease in pay (which is what ends up happening is your net pay goes down). We made cuts everywhere we could and it was still a stain on us financially. There were times that I thought I wouldn't be able to pay bills and some I pushed as far out as possible.

We are fortunate now though as my husband was able to find a higher paying job, but not after almost a year of very difficult times financially.

Not sure what I can say - other than I completely understand.

Fortunately this year for me - I won't see the huge increase - just a slight increase monthly as I was hit big time last year.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 07:21 am
@Linkat,
I think that even in the USA the costs for getting driven by an ambulance, stay in hospital, get an operation, talk to your family doctor, get doctor's visit at home, go to the dentist's, get rehabilitation, etc etc, increase every. So does health insurance - actually nearly every insurance.
revelette

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 07:33 am
Monday a woman wrote an article in the WSJ talking about loosing her insurance policy. She has stage 4 gall bladder cancer. She said, What happened to the president’s promise,

Quote:
“You can keep your health plan”? Or to the promise that “You can keep your doctor”? Thanks to the law, I have been forced to give up a world-class health plan. The exchange would force me to give up a world-class physician.

source

In May, three insurance companies announced they won't be competing in California's network market because they couldn't compete with the other larger insurance companies who cover more people.

UnitedHealth, Aetna and Cigna opt out of California insurance exchange

Another reason United Health decided to not to participate was because the first enrollee's will be the costliest. It was a pure business decision.

Quote:
The country’s largest health insurer is taking a conservative approach to the online markets set to open in states Oct. 1, Chief Executive Officer Stephen Hemsley told investors yesterday at the Sanford C. Bernstein & Co. conference in New York. The company’s plans reflect its concern that the first wave of newly insured customers under the law may be the costliest, Hemsley said.

UnitedHealth will “watch and see” how the exchanges evolve and expects the first enrollees will have “a pent-up appetite” for medical care, Hemsley said. “We are approaching them with some degree of caution because of that.”

source

Linkat

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 08:37 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Its not that the premiums went up - it was how much it went up in one year. Yes, every year, as many costs, you see increases. But the year when we had to have everyone insured in MA the costs increased dramatically. I think this is at least the reference I see. Of course, when all of a sudden you add all these people into the mix that now have to be covered, but cannot pay - the money has to come from some place - so it comes from those currently paying - their premiums double or more.

Going up more than double is an issue, going up a few percentage points is different. Where the costs increase so much that people are now in danger of paying their normal monthly bills - those that have been able to be financially responsible previously is a problem - not just for that particular family, but society as a whole as now there is a potential for another family to be on government assistance.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 09:07 am
@revelette,
revelette wrote:
In May, three insurance companies announced they won't be competing in California's network market because they couldn't compete with the other larger insurance companies who cover more people.
About 20 years ago, we had had more than 3,000 insurance companies in the mandatory insurance system here. When the market was opened (before, most offered their services just locally or regionally) over all Germany, the number went down to 300 (a few years ago) down to 130 now.
Here, it's not about competiton but if a small company gets two heart operations and a couple of cancer cases - they are bankrupt within weeks.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 09:40 am
@revelette,
..." expects the first enrollees will have “a pent-up appetite” for medical care, Hemsley said. “We are approaching them with some degree of caution because of that.”

what a nice way of saying that we still don't want anything to do with all those people that we have been denying coverage for years that are sick and need help.

let someone else do it, our stockholders don't see enough profit in it...
JPB

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 09:47 am
@Rockhead,
yep.

single payer!
woiyo

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 09:58 am
He HAD to lie to get this legislation passed. Why is anyone surprised?
Rockhead

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 10:04 am
@woiyo,
and now...

back to our regularly scheduled obama bashing.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 10:39 am
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Does that sound like liberty to you?

Of course not. It sounds like a big dose of "socialized medicine" coming down upon our heads.
Miller

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 10:41 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

it's about insurance remaining profitable as an industry...

No reason why insurance companies in the US should not be profitable.
Baldimo

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 10:42 am
@DrewDad,
Sure my costs have gone up every year, but it was between $20-$50 a month. This year it went up by $175 a month. Once again what has become affordable under the ACA?

I'm not an idiot but you are becoming an asshole. If you think it is ok for my insurance to go up that much then you are a prick. I would accept the small increase but not a large increase.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 10:43 am
@woiyo,
woiyo wrote:

He HAD to lie to get this legislation passed. Why is anyone surprised?
[/quote

I'm not surprised. Do liars ever improve with old age?
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 10:43 am
@Miller,
We already have it. But its called emergency room medicine. Might as well go all the way and have single payer let everyone pay into it.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 10:45 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

yep.

single payer!

You mean, of course, increase the welfare burden on the humble tax payer.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 10:46 am
@Miller,
and the reason that costs were "down" was because they were denying coverage and kicking out the sick people.

it's simple math.

if they have to take everyone, and not just the healthy people, costs are gonna go up.

non profit medicine is looking better all the time...