America Is Becoming Ungovernable.

izzythepush

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2013 03:35 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
You're the ones that are doing the sneering.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2013 03:38 pm
@izzythepush,
Now that's a retort has simply paralyzed me.
farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2013 03:38 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Our biggest trading partner , Canada, is kinda pissed at us ND THEY CONTROL MUCH OF OUR QWEALTH PRODUCING CAPABILITY VIA NT RESOURCES. tHE ENTIRE "pETRO BOOM" THAT has been the mainstay of teabag rhetoric, must understand that the petro boom is a combination of Canadian and US resources.

What you feel, silly, is just the result of not having a nappy.
Why not begin whining again and take a few more months off from A2K, .
While it does your sense of logic no good, people who think like you can miss you terribly.

Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2013 03:45 pm
Finn complaining that someone else sneers . . . oh, the irony!
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2013 03:50 pm
@Setanta,
Hi Pooch
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2013 03:54 pm
@IRFRANK,
IRFRANK wrote:
Why does the US have 44 bases in Germany? Who are protecting Europe from?

From Russian aggression.

We really should move our bases east though to Poland and Romania if deals can be worked out with their governments.

It would be super awesome if we could ever get Ukraine into NATO because that would make Moscow untenable as a capital. They'd have to build a new capital east of the Urals (nice winters there I hear).

The very north-central part of Ukraine is so close to Moscow that it would only take a ballistic missile fired from there about one minute to reach Moscow. And ballistic missiles with such a short range are small, mobile, and difficult to detect by satellite.

If Ukraine were to join NATO, we could deploy 500 missiles there, and Russia would never be able to detect them until they were launched.

Even if we never deployed such missiles, Russia would have no way of knowing that we didn't, and would have to assume that we did.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2013 03:54 pm
@farmerman,
And leave you and the other libs to an endless circle-jerk?

I care too much for you FM to not and try to prevent you from developing a repetitive stress disorder of your wrist.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2013 04:16 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Ungovernable is going to be a serious issue. There seems to be some basic disconnect in logic when a very few elected officials who have all their medical needs fulfilled FOR LIFE want to deny all others of lowest mean from attaining even a modicum of insurance coverage.

I kind of like the idea of making Congressmen and their staff buy their insurance from the exchange.

I'm sure the Republicans introduced that idea just as a way to demonize the exchange. But that does not mean the idea doesn't have merit.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2013 07:21 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
The fact that there is a global economy, doesn't even remotely make us all world citizens, and whether you like it or not, we very definitely are the biggest kid on the block....

But the global economy does determine whether the rest of the world wants to do business with us, and the interest they charge us for buying up our debt. Being the biggest kid on the block doesn't mean much if we appear economically unsound, or unstable, or if our credit worthiness is at all in doubt.

Don't kid yourself, we can't afford to be oblivious to how the rest of the world regards us. The viability of our own economy depends on our image, including our image of fiscal responsibility, and that image just took a needless negative hit, and we will pay a price for that.

I'm not worried about the sneers coming from any quarters, but I am worried about the global financial decisions made beyond our shores, that can directly impact our economy, and those decisions might well be affected by the kind of fiasco that shut down our government and brought us to the brink of default. Whether we like it or not, we are citizens of the world, we do not exist in a vacuum, and our emotional health depends on those beyond our borders and how they regard us.

And I'm worried about what this pointless tea party temper tantrum has already cost us.
Quote:
Government Shutdown Cost $24 Billion, Standard & Poor's Says
10/16/2013

WASHINGTON -- The government shutdown has taken at least $24 billion out of the United States economy, the financial ratings agency Standard & Poor's said Wednesday.

The firm said the shutdown caused it to cut its forecast of gross domestic product growth in the fourth quarter by at least 0.6 percentage point. The agency lowered its estimate for GDP growth to close to 2 percent from 3 percent.

The estimate represents a staggering cost to the economy of a completely self-inflicted political catastrophe. Unlike the 2008 economic crisis and other past recessions, the government shutdown had nothing to do with larger economic trends. The numbers show Washington's brinksmanship caused real damage beyond furloughed government workers and the Washington, D.C., region.

The shutdown came after the Federal Reserve reported modest growth in the economy in September. "Reports from the 12 Federal Reserve districts suggest that national economic activity continued to expand at a modest to moderate pace during the reporting period of September through early October," the Federal Reserve wrote Wednesday.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/16/government-shutdown-cost_n_4110818.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

And, all we've done now is kick the can down the road because we'll be back in this same place a few months from now. Can we really afford any more self-inflicted economic wounds of this sort? And what's going to prevent that from happening?

I think we do have to start listening to what the rest of the world thinks of us. Maybe it will help to bring us to our senses.

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2013 07:24 pm
@IRFRANK,
mummurs..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2013 07:31 pm
@IRFRANK,
I keep remembering the Eisenhower warning.

IRFRANK

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2013 08:05 pm
@ossobuco,
It is no longer a warning. It is a fact.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2013 10:30 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Ceili wrote:

Like it or not, you are citizens of the world, not the rulers.

Quote:
The concept of "citizen of the world" is really a newish concept, in my opinion.

Cleary, I was referring to you in the global sense. Not you or Finn, definitely not tea-partiers or your Sarah Palins. But your business community, those that supply jobs and what not. I think, if you bothered to read what I've written, none of this is about you, in the singular sense.

Quote:
not to mention liberating it from Naziism in WWII. It would all be a non-issue, if Europe was just more productive, and then the U.S. would not be the economic superpower that it became after WWII, due to it fortunately being unscathed after WWII.

Would that you would.. not mention it again. I dare you. Try not to bring it in to every argument. It took place 70 years ago. SEVENTY. It's history.
It took place before the advent of computers. Where surprisingly, in the day of age google you, and others like you, whole heartily refuse to see the bigger picture.

Quote:
I think part of the attitude towards the U.S., from many non U.S. citizens, stems from the fact that many people see the U.S. as one big Grand Central Station, without an authentic American national identity, the way people see Germans, Irish, Spanish, Italians, etc
Are you serious. Do you honestly think that?
Of course the US has a culture. Million of people round the world go to see your movies, buy your music and magazines and tv. Your's is one of the most dominant cultures in the world.

Quote:
So, might seem counter-intuitive for the U.S. to act as though it was acting self-serving,

when doesn't it ??
The rest of your post was just too weird to respond to.
Ceili

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2013 10:52 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I
Quote:
t certainly not a case of "poor us." I just like to call a spade a spade, and an anti-American an anti-American.

Face it, you cant handle the truth or any criticism.
Quote:
I'm not sure where the middle ground may be but I am sure that most of the people who believe they reside there are deceiving themselves.

Really, so every Republican is a gun toting, abortion hating, immigrant spurning, confederate flag waving, death penalty pushing, homeschooling, drug war advocate.

Quote:
Thanks for appearing to be a bitch so as to "knock some sense" into people like Foofie and me. Alas your sacrifice has clearly been in vain and holds virtually no promise of ever being successful, so you might as well revert to your true doe-like self.

Now, now Finn. I haven't resorted to calling you names. Does the truth sting? You were bullied as a kid. I get it.

Quote:
I can't speak for Foofie but I'm not arguing that the US should tell the rest of the world to pound sand, I'm arguing that it shouldn't (and in the main doesn't)
care what supercilious pissants in foreign media, mid-level government positions and elected bodies say.

Keep up the attitude. These pissants will be your kid's boss one day.

Quote:
Of course there are quite a few Americans who do care, but they tend to be liberals, and they have always had an inferiority complex when it comes to Europeans...or at least Western Europeans.

Us v.s them. Black v.s. white. Libs v.s Cons... Yada, yada, yada.

Quote:
Eric Idle is, of course, free to think whatever he pleases, and to express it as well (at least in this country), but why should anyone give a damn? Do you imagine that he has a better understanding of what is happening in this country than the average American?

Nope, he's not suffering from the shutdown stupidity.

Quote:
We are not citizens of the world any more than Canadians, Brits or Germans are. It's a nice conceit, but it isn't so.

Read what I wrote in response to this above. Not you, Finn. Corporations. Persons under your laws. They are the so-called citizens. Even as I write this, I can't believe how much of your government is bought. I mean, corporations as citizens, who-da-thunk?

Quote:
The fact that there is a global economy, doesn't even remotely make us all world citizens, and whether you like it or not, we very definitely are the biggest kid on the block. That may not always be the case, of course, but asserting that it isn't so right now is simply nonsense.

Sure, as long as your dollar holds. You are the biggest consumers now because you are large in size and you still have money in your pockets, but that pocket is getting thinner for a big portion of your population. India and China are on the verge of over taking you and then your bargaining power is lessened. Arrogance is the last thing I would display.
Canada is your largest trading partner, but even we are looking for better markets. Trade wars, tariffs, taxes... free trade has meant nothing. The US doesn't play fair. Other nations now know that and are bargaining harder and are shopping other markets. The US is on tenious grounds on so many fronts, and instead of worrying about it, you stand there with fingers in your ears. Ya, I used a bat. So what? It obviously didn't get through.

Quote:
If what Americans want of their governments seems to be fairly irrelevant, then what foreigners want is totally irrelevant,

On this we agree.

Quote:
and the people that trot out their opinions as if they should be dispositive ("See, even the Brits think the tea-baggers are crazy!) are, in my opinion, insipid...and if they happen to be foreigners themselves, laughable.

Whatever.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 03:18 am
Breaking news on the BBC.

"LAST MINUTE DEAL STRUCK, JUST AS 300 BILLION PEOPLE AROUND THE WORLD THOUGHT WOULD HAPPEN!"

A last minute deal was struck to raise the debt ceiling by six inches, to a new height of nine feet six.
Hailed as a shining example of compromise by Washington, but sniggered at because it was so bloody obvious that it was going to happen by the entire rest of the world, Republican spokesman Theodore "Buffalo" CheeseBurger-Royale III said the following:

"Be proud of your legislators this morning, America, for we have once again shown the world how democracy gets the job done. OK, there have been compromises along the way, and granny can still afford to have her hip fixed. But I promise you this, my fellow tax payers, come February when we all sit down to talk this over again, we Republicans will ensure that no hips will be fixed with your tax dollars, and we fully intend to hold up budgets again until we finally get our own way. God Bless America."

If the whole thing wasn't so serious, it would be laughable.

Good ol' boys at their best, eh?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24559869
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 03:30 am
@Lordyaswas,
Interesting.

Finn will probably try to make out that this guy is left wing, just like Max Hastings. Very Happy

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/09/steve-schmidt-republicans-97250.html
timur

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 05:26 am
Lordyaswas wrote:
"LAST MINUTE DEAL STRUCK, JUST AS 300 BILLION PEOPLE AROUND THE WORLD THOUGHT WOULD HAPPEN!"

That's a lot of people!! ;-))

Do you have any link to that headline?
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 05:36 am
@timur,
I just thought of a number and doubled it a few times! Very Happy

ooops...I meant to type millions
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 06:46 am
@Lordyaswas,
Schmidt should be sorry for bringing Palin to the national stage. He cost his candidate the election. A major blunder. Let's hope the GOP moves back to the center. They have a long way to go.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 07:18 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I'm sorry that you see this as a game. This is very serious, a small group of far right Republicans tried to hold the World to ransom because not enough poor people are dying from preventable diseases. Their fellow Republicans were too scared of a recall vote to do the right thing.

For a party that considers itself the natural party of government this is a massive cock up.