America Is Becoming Ungovernable.

Ceili

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 10:14 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Oh I am very sure that you "seriously" worry about my country.

No, you've revealed that what you're really worried about is your own ass, and the collective Euorpean ass.

Fair enough. Self-interest is an excellent motivator and ultimately responsible for a lot of good for the community, but I'm quite sure you disagree.

Holy arrogance. You sir, are the epitome of why people think American are assholes.

I'll tell you why the rest of the world gives a ****. It's because business does not reside in one country, neither do insurance companies and banks. It all intertwined, see, like a great big web. These corporations (deemed persons by your country) are then citizens of the world, or something. And if they run around as charlatans and thieves and your country refuses to police them, then you have the banking fiasco et al.
Now if your government cant get along, the rest of the world shakes, waiting for the next great american melt down, waiting to see what more you can all do screw-up the world.
China fears it's loans may go tits up. Israel fears a third world war, and the americas fear following Europe and yourselves down a sinkhole.

If this was only about you, that's one thing. Sure, don't give a damn about your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to hell.
'Cause being poor is an abomination. And health care is only for those who can afford it.
But it ain't just about you.
If you schmucks don't get it together, you could **** everyone up. Again. Get it?

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 01:58 am
@Ceili,
You've saved me about half an hour composing an answer. I imagine that there are about half a billion people around the world that think the same way.
Spot on, Ceili.
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 02:31 am
@Foofie,
..........."Why should the world worry? No big brother to keep the world from spinning out of control? Why "very, very wrong"? As the song goes, "It's my party, and I'll cry if I want to...".........

Of course, the USA works in total isolation from the rest of the world, doesn't it.....sheesh. Rolling Eyes
I tell you what, if China called in its debt you'll all be digging ditches for them until about 2050. The UK is the proud possessor of a few billion quids worth of what could be potentially junk bonds as well. God knows how much of "your" problem is spread around the world.

............. "The "world" got theirs when the U.S. lost 500,000 in WWII. Now they should stand on their own two feet, in my opinion......"

Nice distraction tactic. Save it for another thread, eh?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 02:47 am
@Lordyaswas,
Maybe it's a language issue.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 05:25 am
There'll probably be 24 more hours of amateur dramatics while they cobble something together, as even the mighty US of A puppeteers daren't shock the markets that much, just in case it all comes back and bites them on their proverbial arses.
It just amazes me how these people can totally disregard their very own democratic lawmaking process.
Just who IS running the show over there. The people certainly aren't, so it seems.

It will all be smoothed over and fudged by tomorrow, then everyone will conveniently forget it ever happened.

Until the next time.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 05:31 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:
Of course, the USA works in total isolation from the rest of the world, doesn't it.....sheesh. Rolling Eyes
I tell you what, if China called in its debt you'll all be digging ditches for them until about 2050.
China and Japan together hold more than $2.4 trillion in U.S. Treasuries ... ...

http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/c_zpsccfc8725.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 10:49 am
Belgium had been without government for 589 days ... and quite a few US-A2K'ers made fun about that.
But nothing was closed and everyone got her/his regular salary during all that period of 19 long months, laws were made by parliament ... ... ...

I know, Belgium is just a tiny European country and not the world' richest economy and only superpower ...
Foofie

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 12:33 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

..........."Why should the world worry? No big brother to keep the world from spinning out of control? Why "very, very wrong"? As the song goes, "It's my party, and I'll cry if I want to...".........

I tell you what, if China called in its debt you'll all be digging ditches for them until about 2050. The UK is the proud possessor of a few billion quids worth of what could be potentially junk bonds as well. God knows how much of "your" problem is spread around the world.

............. "The "world" got theirs when the U.S. lost 500,000 in WWII. Now they should stand on their own two feet, in my opinion......"

Nice distraction tactic. Save it for another thread, eh?

Let's go back 70 years. Europe was doing what it did for a millenia, except this time with modern weaponry. So, Europe was in ashes. Since the U.S. was not bombed out, it did not have to rebuild, and its factories were able to make consumer goods that Europe bought. So, if Europe was "lapped" by the U.S. economically 70 years ago, and therefore inherited the title of "superpower," let's just admit that the U.S. had nothing to do with the start of the European theatre in WWII. That was strictly old rivalries raising its ugly head, in my opinion. So now the U.S. should tip-toe around, since the baby is sleeping, and no one wants to wake the economic baby?

So, regardless of how intertwined the global economy is, I believe one should not interfere with the U.S., since it might just be that Europe and the rest of the world are just the proverbial "fair weather friends," and when good times come back to them, they will wave toodle-loo to the U.S. In that thought is the thumb touching the nose, and the fingers waving to the world.

Remember, if Germany didn't have its anti-Semitic obsession, Germany would have had the bomb, and you might be speaking German. So, count your blessings.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 12:39 pm
@Foofie,
Indeed. And if .... and if .... and if .... and if then .... then ...
Setanta

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 12:43 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Yeah, but Belgians eat their fries with mayonnaise--they are obviously culturally superior to all other nations.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 12:45 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
Europe was doing what it did for a millenia, except this time with modern weaponry.

Timeline of United States military operations

List of wars involving the United States
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 12:47 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Yeah, but Belgians eat their fries with mayonnaise--they are obviously culturally superior to all other nations.
Well, "red-white" (ketchup-mayonnaise) certainly is the better way ...
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 12:59 pm
@Ceili,
That's a good post Ceili...the arrogance...well, it's embarrassing
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 01:11 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Indeed. And if .... and if .... and if .... and if then .... then ...

Specious reply in my opinion. My basic point is stop coming to the U.S., just because it inherited the world's economy, due to a world war that they did not start. As a Catholic, how about a mea culpa?

America can do what it wants. The world is not its foster children. Perhaps, Germany should step up to the responsibility of telling the other EU nations to learn how to be industrious and productive. And, if they don't listen? Just invade the f*ckers, for all I care. Start the marching music. This time the U.S. can remain neutral.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 03:24 pm
@izzythepush,
Hastings wrote:

"This is serpent-speak, of course. But seldom, if ever, has the chasm between the sophistication of America’s East Coast and the primitive passions and thought processes of middle American lawmakers yawned wider."

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 03:36 pm
@Foofie,
You really are a libling.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 04:13 pm
@Ceili,

Ceili wrote:

I'll tell you why the rest of the world gives a ****. It's because business does not reside in one country, neither do insurance companies and banks. It all intertwined, see, like a great big web. These corporations (deemed persons by your country) are then citizens of the world, or something. And if they run around as charlatans and thieves and your country refuses to police them, then you have the banking fiasco et al.
Now if your government cant get along, the rest of the world shakes, waiting for the next great american melt down, waiting to see what more you can all do screw-up the world.
China fears it's loans may go tits up. Israel fears a third world war, and the americas fear following Europe and yourselves down a sinkhole.

If this was only about you, that's one thing. Sure, don't give a damn about your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to hell.
'Cause being poor is an abomination. And health care is only for those who can afford it.
But it ain't just about you.
If you schmucks don't get it together, you could **** everyone up. Again. Get it?

And so how was the following comment arrogant or really any substantially different than your rant?

No, you've revealed that what you're really worried about is your own ass, and the collective European ass.

Fair enough. Self-interest is an excellent motivator

If you're worried about what the schmucks in the US are doing because it has great impact on you and the rest of the world, you display more rational thinking than is usually the case. At least you didn't try to preface this clear expression of self-interest with nonsense about concern for the schumcks and their standing as a beacon of democracy.

Snide opinion pieces in foreign newspapers may make the authors and many of their readers feel superior to the divided hick nation with lynch mobs baying, and the "fat, solemn, smug (Republican) legislators" indulging in (of course) "serpent-speak," but they will have zero bearing on what happens. They are as irrelevant as the expressed opinions of their nation's leaders.

And this isn't because Americans are inherently arrogant, but because the minor players never get to say much about what the major players will do. Such was the case when Britannia ruled the waves, subjugated native peoples around the globe, and exploited the truly down-trodden at home, and it is the case now.

Not to single out Great Britain of course, most of the US critics have had their turn in the pilot's seat (except of course Canada).

As I've written on numerous occasions in this forum, I fully understand how maddening it is that there is a government in the world over which you don't even have the minimal control provided by a single vote, but which could, under certain circumstances, have as much or more influence over your life than your own.

It's a fair bet that at some point in time (later rather than sooner) Americans (or their successors) will share this frustration and sense of impotency, and it's also a fair bet that if the empire's decline results in as soft a landing as Britain was able to manage, there will be American pundits writing snide and impotent columns about whatever Big Dog stands over the rest of the world.

Despite your endless denials Ceili, you are clearly anti-American. That's fine by me. I much prefer your raw contempt to obsequious expressions of concern, and particularly when a more polished contempt underlies the concern.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 04:14 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

You've saved me about half an hour composing an answer. I imagine that there are about half a billion people around the world that think the same way.
Spot on, Ceili.

I imagine that there are far more than a half a billion people around the world who think the same way.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 04:15 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

Ahh, I see how truly worried you are about us schmucks.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 04:20 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

So, regardless of how intertwined the global economy is, I believe one should not interfere with the U.S

They cannot, and that is what infuriates them.

Being relegated, in The Great Game, to owning Baltic Avenue without even a motel surely grates on those who once had the Monopoly.