My first choice for the next President

Real Music

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2019 11:51 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Sen. Warren has been shoring up her credibility with the public and making the right kind of enemies in Washington, D.C. She has championed economic issues such as student loan debt and increased banking regulations as part of her mission to bring those who caused the Great Recession to justice. Her failed fight to stop student interest rates from rising brought her press and public attention, even if she was unable to garner political support in getting it passed. Her persistence in protecting the financial rights of the middle class has provided her with an invaluable reserve of legitimacy in the public at a time when the economy is reeling from the mistakes of Wall Street insiders and politicians who are loyal to them, such as Larry Summers.

Summers' nomination for chairman of the Fed was undone by Sen. Warren and her allies in the Senate because of Summers' well-documented chauvinism and support for the repeal of the Glass-Steagall Act as treasury secretary under President Clinton. (In fairness, current Fed chairman front-runner Janet Yellen also supported the repeal.) However, Sen. Warren played a perfectly shrewd political hand in Summers' removal from the running as well. When President Obama tasked Elizabeth Warren to create the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau it was assumed she would be appointed to run it as well. Enter Larry Summers. As an economic adviser to President Obama, Summers campaigned against her nomination on behalf of major players in the finance industry who were afraid of her power. Now, Sen. Warren just secured her payback by forcing Summers out of the running for Fed chairman. Liberals are feeling very empowered by Summers' defeat and are crediting it to Warren's politicking.
Democrats have not had a leader who is both charismatic and morally authoritative in quite some time, but Sen. Warren is about to change that. She has not even completed a full year in her tenure as senator but has already emerged with a clear legislative and political agenda that she is forthright about and sticking to. Since President Obama's first inauguration, D.C. politics have been hijacked by the loud and unruly Tea Partiers who have done everything to derail any legislative agenda put forth by the White House. Sen. Warren emerges from this mess as a Democrat who is unwilling to be overwhelmed by power or threatened by politics as usual.
http://www.policymic.com/articles/64355/elizabeth-warren-2016-danger-actual-democrat-may-be-among-presidential-candidates

I agree with you, that Elizabeth Warren would be an excellent choice to be the next president.
If she earns the nomination, I believe she would be an excellent candidate.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2019 11:55 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
My first choice for the next President

Yes, Elizabeth Warren is an excellent choice.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2019 12:03 pm
Published July 18, 2013

"Elizabeth Warren has a message for any television personalities questioning the merits of increased financial regulation: You're wrong.

During a media tour last week to bring attention to a bill the Senator proposed with Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) and others aimed at preventing banks from making risky bets with Americans' savings, CNBC personality Brian Sullivan asked her to back his assertion that no law can prevent major bank busts.

'No that is just wrong,' Warren said in response."*

Cenk Uygur breaks it down.

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2019 12:16 pm
Published on September 30, 2015

Last week, Elizabeth Warren appeared on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, where she hammered the
Republicans’ refusal to give up on the idea of trickle down economics.

Warren explained that when the idea was first put into practice in the 1980’s, the Republican prediction
would be that the wealthy elite would spend more money if we cut their taxes. The only problem is that
they didn’t spend that money – they never do. They invested in stocks, a move that did absolutely nothing
to help the working class. As a result, Warren explained, a whopping ZERO PERCENT of the income
growth that happened during that time went to working class Americans. Their wages remained stagnant,
while the net worth of the richest Americans went through the roof after their taxes were cut.

And the same thing happened when George W. Bush reinvigorated the idea of trickle down economics in
the early 2000’s. The wages of the working class actually began declining during this time, while the worth
and cash reserves of the wealthiest Americans grew at a staggering rate. And unfortunately, that’s still
mostly true today, as Democrats in Washington have refused repeatedly to roll back the tax breaks for the 1%.

But people like Elizabeth Warren are not going to give up, and the public overwhelmingly believes that the
wealthiest Americans don’t pay their fair share in taxes. And as for trickle down? Even David Stockman,
the economist that developed the idea of trickle down economics, admits that it simply doesn’t work and
we should abandon the theory.

Even with the public rejecting the idea and every credible economist telling us that it will never work, that
hasn’t stopped the Republican field of presidential candidates from doubling-down on the failed theory.
Only this time, the voting public has lived through at least one – most of us through two – recessions
brought on by trickle down economics, and it’s highly doubtful that they’re going to fall for the lie for a third time.

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2019 12:21 pm
Published September 17, 2010

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB)

President Obama speaks from the Rose Garden about the importance of establishing an agency
dedicated to protect consumer's rights, and names Elizabeth Warren as a special adviser
to set up the new agency. September 17, 2010.

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2019 12:25 pm
Elizabeth Warren says she would ban private prisons and detention facilities
as president.

Published June 21, 2019

Quote:
(CNN) — Sen. Elizabeth Warren unveiled a plan Friday to ban private prisons and detention facilities, should she be elected president in 2020.

The Massachusetts Democrat wrote in a post on Medium that, as president, she would end all contracts the Federal Bureau of Prisons and US Immigration and Customs Enforcements has with private detention providers.

"We need significant reform in both criminal justice and in immigration, to end mass incarceration and all of the unnecessary, cruel, and punitive forms of immigration detention that have taken root in the Trump Administration," Warren wrote.

The US government has a "a basic responsibility to keep the people in its care safe -- not to use their punishment as an opportunity for profit," she said.

The senator would prohibit contractors from charging incarcerated and detained individuals "for basic services they need, like phone calls, bank transfers, and healthcare."

"Washington works hand-in-hand with private prison companies, who spend millions on lobbyists, campaign contributions, and revolving-door hires -- all to turn our criminal and immigration policies into ones that prioritize making them rich instead of keeping us safe," Warren said.

Shares of private prison operators dropped following Warren's released remarks. Warren's campaign, in response, said it was unfazed by the stocks' slump, with campaign spokeswoman and director of communications Kristen Orthman saying, "They shouldn't have a share price because they shouldn't exist."

The senator in her post also lambasted former White House chief of staff and retired Marine Gen. John Kelly for joining the board of directors for Caliburn International, the parent company of Comprehensive Health Services, which operates shelters for unaccompanied migrant children.

The senator previously characterized Kelly's career shift as "corruption at its absolute worst."

"John Kelly oversaw many of the Trump Admin's most morally repugnant immigration policies," she tweeted in May. "Now he could be making big bucks serving on the Board of a company that's profiting from the same cruel plans he put in place."

In her plan, Warren pledged to create an independent Prison Conditions Monitor within the Department of Justice's Office of the Inspector General that would set quality standards, audit and investigate contractors and terminate contractors who fail to abide by the standards.

Warren, at a CNN town hall in April, called for-profit private prisons an "outrage in America" and said they should be banned.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/21/politics/elizabeth-warren-ban-private-prisons-detention-facilities/index.html
Lash

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2019 03:58 pm
@Real Music,
“Elizabeth Warren says...”

which is the primary problem with her candidacy according to progressives. They have a candidate who has DONE the same things he says he’ll do—and he hasn’t stopped doing those things for 30-40 years.

Some of the things Warren did were
1. give Donald Trump a standing ovation when he made thinly veiled swipes against Medicare for All,
2. after capitalizing on the discrimination of native Americans, ignored their pleas for help when they were attacked by the US government for trying to protect their water sources,
3. and when the progressive policies were on the ballot and she could’ve proven they were her policies, she abandoned those policies, and supported the neoliberal in the race.

I think anyone who supports her is a fool.

She fooled you once—shame on her...
maxdancona

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2019 04:38 pm
@Lash,
I think Lash is confusing Bernie Sanders with Donald Trump.

Bernie supports Elizabeth Warren. They are good friends and they respect each other. You won't see these nasty attacks on Senator Warren coming from the Bernie camp.

That isn't what Bernie is about.
Lash

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2019 04:54 pm
@maxdancona,
Yet, Warren did exactly what I said she did.

Like most Bernie voters, I will definitely vote for him, but he’s not my god or my moral compass.

I resent several things Warren did, and I’m not afraid to repeat what she was not afraid to DO.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2019 05:08 pm
@Lash,
You are both supporting Bernie and calling him a fool.

At the very least, that's a little odd. My prediction is that if things keep progressing as they are now.... you will see a three person race between Biden, Warren and Sanders. Sanders will drop out and throw his support behind Warren.
georgeob1

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2019 05:19 pm
@Lash,
The ongoing decline in Biden's campaign will likely result in fairly large increases in poll numbers for both Sanders and Warren, and likely, to a lesser degree those of Harris and Buttigieg . How the competition among them may turn out as yet remains to be seen. Rapid changes in the status of the 2nd rank of Democrat contenders has been the rule so far.

However, I don't see either Warren or Sanders as a serious contender for a victory in the final election. Both have strong appeal to relatively small segments of voters, while, at the same time, exciting very strong opposition from other, equivalent segments. In that both appear to me to be self-limiting.

Lash

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2019 05:49 pm
@georgeob1,
I definitely understand why you think Sanders isn’t general election material because of the lackluster coverage.

I think if you knew the reality of support for him and his policies, you’d be more ‘concerned’.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2019 05:50 pm
@maxdancona,
I say you’re wrong. We’ll see.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2019 06:15 pm
They can't get Sanders on issues so they have to make up other objections.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2019 07:01 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
1. give Donald Trump a standing ovation when he made thinly veiled swipes against Medicare for All,

after capitalizing on the discrimination of native Americans, ignored their pleas for help when they were attacked by the US government for trying to protect their water sources,

and when the progressive policies were on the ballot and she could’ve proven they were her policies, she abandoned those policies, and supported the neoliberal in the race.

Can you post your source for all three of your claims?

For the purpose of credibility, it is important to know the source of these claims.

Please provide your source so that each one of us can make our own determination of the credibility and accuracy of your claims.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2019 07:05 pm
@Real Music,
You people are supposed to be interested in the truth of what goes on but never seem to know these things.
Real Music wrote:

Quote:

after capitalizing on the discrimination of native Americans, ignored their pleas for help when they were attacked by the US government for trying to protect their water sources,

and when the progressive policies were on the ballot and she could’ve proven they were her policies, she abandoned those policies, and supported the neoliberal in the race.

Can you post your source for all three of your claims?

For the purpose of credibility, it is important to know the source of these claims.

Please provide your source so that each one of us can make our own determination of the credibility and accuracy of your claims.

Lash

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2019 07:09 pm
@Real Music,
I refuse to believe you don’t know these facts.
Real Music

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2019 07:15 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
I think anyone who supports her is a fool.

She fooled you once—shame on her...

I support Elizabeth Warren. I have on numerous occasions articulated my reasons for supporting her.
I have supported Warren for several years and she continues to strengthen my support for her.
I will make one thing clear. I support Warren and I ain't no fool.

Bernie Sanders, who I have much respect for, also supports Elizabeth Warren.
Bernie Sanders ain't no fool.

As far as I can tell, I think Edgar also supports Elizabeth Warren.

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2019 07:17 pm
https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/politics/2018/01/31/warren-says-she-wanted-state-union-burned-into-eyes/BdYyLPH8KF2QXQshKLcdLN/story.html

What a bold liar she is—applauding Trump—and coming off with that stupid lie, “I wanted it burned in my eyes... She applauded him. You see Bernie didn’t stand and applaud. What kind of idiots does she think people are??!
Real Music

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2019 07:18 pm
@Lash,
You are correct .

I don't know that your claims are facts.

Your claims just might be misleading.

I don't know.

Please provide your source so that I and everyone else can make our own determination of the credibility and accuracy of your claims.
0 Replies