Ted Cruze is blaming Reid for holding the American People hostage

IRFRANK

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 04:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
Right, or those who see $$ managing those funds.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 04:36 pm
@IRFRANK,
At 76 years of age, and having collected much more than I paid in, I'm not worried a bit! Also, Medicare save me a bundle!
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 04:43 pm
@IRFRANK,
IRFRANK wrote:

This has been said before and it's BS. SocSec will need to be adjusted by 2037, but will not go bankrupt. This propaganda comes from those who want to make money from managing those funds. Read AARP reports for the truth.
the trust fund is a sham....... SS has flipped from being a revenue source to being an expense which will over two decades become a monstrous expense, which we have no plan to pay for and when even before it became an expense we were borrowing 40 cents of every dollar we spent.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 04:49 pm
@IRFRANK,
The AARP can be wrong. I rely on more than just "one" article to decide whether social security is sustainable or not.

One article in Forbes also says social security can't go bankrupt, but I see many assumptions in his ideas that just aren't true. He gives the example that 70 workers can support 30 workers - even if the numbers grow exponentially - at that ratio. The weakness of that assumption is that the number of workers to retirees are dynamic, and changes. Not only that but the middle class income is not keeping up with inflation - and that has a huge impact on how many it takes to support one retiree.

My wife and I get over $3.4k every month. How many worker's pay can support our social security benefits?

Do the math.

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 05:00 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
My wife and I get over $3.4k every month. How many worker's pay can support our social security benefits?

lets see, a growing percentage of working age people dont work at all, and of those who do what percentage dont even make $3.4k a month? a third maybe? I could do the research but I dont need a heart attack today.

http://weaselzippers.us/wp-content/uploads/employment_population_ratio-548x371.png

http://www.mybudget360.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/average-income-americans.png
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 05:15 pm
@hawkeye10,
Here's a graph on average income in 2005. I doubt very much it's improved all that much over the inflation rate.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/imposter222/Personal_income.png

Quote:
There are currently 2.8 workers for each Social Security beneficiary. By 2033, there will be 2.1 workers for each beneficiary.

The problem with this statistics is that those 2.8 workers aren't earning enough to pay for the "average" social security benefit being paid out.
0 Replies

Moment-in-Time

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 06:47 pm
@IRFRANK,
Quote:

This has been said before and it's BS. SocSec will need to be adjusted by 2037, but will not go bankrupt.

I agree with you, Irfrank. We all know there will have to be an adjustment to SocSec if only for the simple reason people are living longer as a result of changing lifestyles and advancement in scientific research extending our life expectancy.

Quote:
his propaganda comes from those who want to make money from managing those funds.

Absolutely! This same type of disinformation is being disseminated against the Affordable Health Care Act by opponents, namely big money bankrolling the scheme.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 06:56 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
What most survivors can look forward to is the same dynamics happening with state and local pension funds. There's not enough to pay their obligations, but the "taxpayer" will be the end payer. Governments continue to increase their deficits on pension funds, knowing that it'll be paid.

I wonder why households can't get away with what governments do?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 07:03 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Quote:
We all know there will have to be an adjustment to SocSec if only for the simple reason people are living longer as a result of changing lifestyles and advancement in scientific research extending our life expectancy.

I dont know this....I am told that we are losing the war with the microbes do to poor use of our current drugs and no advancement in finding new ones, so life expectancy can be expected to be going down.

we also might be greatly aided by boomers deciding to off themselves thus saving the expense

Quote:
Suicide rates among middle-aged Americans have risen sharply in the past decade, prompting concern that a generation of baby boomers who have faced years of economic worry and easy access to prescription painkillers may be particularly vulnerable to self-inflicted harm.
More people now die of suicide than in car accidents, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which published the findings in Friday’s issue of its Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. In 2010 there were 33,687 deaths from motor vehicle crashes and 38,364 suicides.

Suicide has typically been viewed as a problem of teenagers and the elderly, and the surge in suicide rates among middle-aged Americans is surprising.

From 1999 to 2010, the suicide rate among Americans ages 35 to 64 rose by nearly 30 percent, to 17.6 deaths per 100,000 people, up from 13.7. Although suicide rates are growing among both middle-aged men and women, far more men take their own lives. The suicide rate for middle-aged men was 27.3 deaths per 100,000, while for women it was 8.1 deaths per 100,000.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/03/health/suicide-rate-rises-sharply-in-us.html?_r=0
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 06:18 pm
It's easy to determine an opinion and find data to support it. What's you solution, hawk and C I? Privatization? Put it in the market?

Maybe you should actually read the AARP report instead of dismissing it.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 06:55 pm
@IRFRANK,
What is it about the AARP report that you believe prevents any bankruptcy of the social security fund?
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 07:54 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I'm expecting the GOP to not approve the debt ceiling, and all hell will break loose. US government bonds will require higher interest payments to reduce more spending on essential services for Americans. The fragile economy barely in recovery mode at 1 to 2% annually will be sent back to the Great Recession, and all those folks wishing that the government default on their bonds will get their wish. Everything they buy will cost more, because the US currency will lose value against all major currencies.

I don't care; this is how America now plays politics with people's future.

76% of Americans are now living from paycheck to paycheck. That will increase and more Americans will be losing their jobs and homes.

That will speak volumes.

Let everybody suffer the consequences of our broken government. I just don't care.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 08:04 pm
@cicerone imposter,
One more word of caution. When the interest rates the government must pay to bond holders goes up, the long term mortgage loans will also see rate increases.

You can almost put money on that consequence of our broken government.

GOOD LUCK, AMERICA!
parados

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 08:57 pm
@cicerone imposter,
And the Republicans will blame Obama because he didn't stop them from acting so stupid.
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 09:31 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

What most people dont take into account is the fact that we, the public, already pay for national care through the system of emergency room care. By making everyone buy insurance everyone pays a share of the cost. Thats what Obama care does. It can be improved but let it go on so we can see where it needs to be improved.

Obamacare does one other thing. The poor can only get certain types of care, let's say "incident" care, at emergency rooms. I don't believe an emergency room would provide, say a course of radiation therapy to a person with cancer.

I don't really know if Obamacare is a good program or a bad one. I have some misgivings about some aspects of it. However, at its worst, it's a huge step forward. Whatever might be wrong with it can be repaired.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 09:38 pm
@parados,
Most of us are aware of that, but there are still about 35% of Tea Partiers who still believe we're taxed too much. In fact, of all industrialized countries, we fall in the bottom third of taxes based on GDP.

The GOP doesn't want to decrease defense spending which cost the equivalent to the top 27 countries in this world.

They continue the ill informed message that taxation is a transfer of wealth from the rich to the poor. All while our school's funds, essential government services, and infrastructure spending are cut.

The GOP is now blackmailing the government by demanding that ObamaCare be overturned before they approve the budget.

TNCFS
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 11:50 pm
Ted Cruz thinks the American people are stupid because his gerrymandered district was redrawn to represent stupid but well meaning god fearing ignorant people. John Boehner doesn't have a hair if he allows Cruz to hog the spotlight.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 10:45 am
@glitterbag,
You do know, don't you, that Ted Cruz is a US Senator and no amount of corrupt manipulation can gerrymander an entire state?

Texas doesn't even have to be your stomping ground to know this.

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 11:05 am
Idiot Boehner is holding the whole country hostage, because he thinks his job is more important than the country.

How do idiots like this get selected as House Speaker?

The voters.

NOTE: John Boehner is a cry-baby, and his emotions have dictated his speakership. He's too immature to be leading a house of congress or anything else in life. He's still a child who can't understand the damage he's doing to this country. This is the weakness of our government; stupid people gets elected by stupid people. TNCFS
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 01:15 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

You do know, don't you, that Ted Cruz is a US Senator and no amount of corrupt manipulation can gerrymander an entire state?

Texas doesn't even have to be your stomping ground to know this.

I have a lot of family in Texas, but I'd rather visit. Don't care to join them. Your Governor Perry recently visited Maryland trying to convince our businesses to relocate to your Lone Star State. He didn't get a warm reception. Apparently he was unaware that people and businesses value education, and try to live and work where their children can attend good schools.

His flirtation with the idea of seceding from the Union is not something that inspires confidence. The Civil War doesn't inspire nostalgia and yearning for an imaginary way of life where we sat on the veranda and sipped mint julips.

Texas is beautiful, I enjoy the culture. And as far as corruption, Tom Delay was cleared of all the charges, but he worked his ass off redrawing districts. Districts in Maryland were redrawn and submitted to the voters during the 2012 election. The new map is a joke, I voted against it but it passed anyway. There is one thing you can always count on, voters seldom care about all the issues on the ballot so gerrymandering proceeds unabated everywhere.