Ted Cruze is blaming Reid for holding the American People hostage

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 5 Oct, 2013 04:31 pm
@cicerone imposter,
The republicans are shifting their priorities again. Maybe, after changing it a few dozen times, they might all agree on 'something.' They don't know what they want, but their gridlock on the budget is still in the back burner.

Quote:
AFP Michael Mathes 20 minutes ago
Washington (AFP) - With their leadership clinging to its strategy of demanding changes to the health care law, some rank-and-file Republicans acknowledged Saturday that ending the US government shutdown requires a new game plan.

Without question, a repeal or delay of the law known as "Obamacare" remains a top priority for Republican lawmakers, who for weeks have insisted on making any bill that funds government contingent on rolling back President Barack Obama's signature domestic achievement.

But a handful of Tea Party-supported conservatives have publicly backed off that fight, one which caused deep rifts within the Republican Party and led to some very public sniping among Republicans on the Senate floor.

With the shutdown battle being subsumed by debate over the need to raise the debt ceiling in the next two weeks, they said the focus needs to shift to strictly fiscal issues.

"I won't be happy with that but I recognize the writing on the wall," congressman Doug Lamborn told reporters during a rare weekend session for the House of Representatives.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 5 Oct, 2013 05:14 pm
My suspicion is that there's a lot of stuff in the budget that shouldn't be there, some of it pet projects of various congressmen to get themselves re-elected. It is hateful and stupid to raise our debt more and more, year after year, rather than living within our means.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 5 Oct, 2013 05:19 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon you're sounding like a tea-bagging barbarian!

Everything the government does or spends money on is good for the collective.

Except of course when it disenfranchises minority voters or tries to assume control over women's naughty bits.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 5 Oct, 2013 05:24 pm
@Brandon9000,
Be mindful of the fact that it's congress who approves the budget. They now are saying, they don't want to pay for what they already approved.

TNCFS
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 5 Oct, 2013 10:00 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Be mindful of the fact that it's congress who approves the budget. They now are saying, they don't want to pay for what they already approved.

TNCFS

It is alright, in general, to try to annul a prior vote, but not at the expense of getting a budget passed, and for what it's worth, I think Obamacare is a big step forward.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 5 Oct, 2013 10:35 pm
@Brandon9000,
I've always advocated for universal health care for our country. ALL developed countries have it, and they are healthier and happier for it. The US already spends the most for health care, but 50 million people are not insured. ObamaCare still needs to be tweaked to save cost, but many people are already aware of how our country can save money on health care. These corrections should be made in the near future.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 5 Oct, 2013 11:31 pm
Ted Cruz is half a thimble full short of gasoline getting dangerously close to letting everyone know he is crazier than an out house rat.
RABEL222

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 08:59 am
@cicerone imposter,
What most people dont take into account is the fact that we, the public, already pay for national care through the system of emergency room care. By making everyone buy insurance everyone pays a share of the cost. Thats what Obama care does. It can be improved but let it go on so we can see where it needs to be improved.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 10:07 am
@glitterbag,
And there are crazier people out there that loves Ted Cruz and will vote for him. He's as crazy as a fox bringing in the money.

That's the symptom of US crazies that will never disappear, so don't look forward to too much from our government. They're out to destroy it every way they can.

Their claim? They spend too much.

On the other side of the coin, they want to spend more for defense - but not on the soldiers who come back with health issues.

TNCFS
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 10:49 am
@cicerone imposter,
As a Texan, I got a good look at Cruz before he got elected. I had him pegged, then, as a dangerous force in politics, which is why I started two or three threads about him.
Moment-in-Time

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 10:55 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Ted Cruz is half a thimble full short of gasoline getting dangerously close to letting everyone know he is crazier than an out house rat.

One thing is for sure, Ted Cruz is most certainly held in contempt by the majority of the Republican Party....the Tea Party darling is loathed by non-Tea Party Republicans! The ruthlessly ambitious Ted Cruz, has only been in the senate for a few months, yet, in action and deed, he has appointed himself Speaker of the House, usurping John Boehner, the elected leader of the House. Last night at a Republican formal get-together, the featured speaker, whose name I did not get, left the dinner early to avoid being photographed with this hated Tea Party figure, Ted Cruz.

One of the reasons many of these GOP members are not fighting back and seemingly easily led, is out of fear of being challenged in a primary. This gives us even more of an insight into the people we elect to serve us, that they put their career before the American people. The current poll rating for Congress today is at 10%, with 84% disapproving with the Republican carrying the load most detested by the American public.

One reporter this morning "Meet the Press" said Ted Cruz is a phony and this comes on the heels of Rep King of NY calling the Tea Party radical, a fraud.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 11:02 am
@edgarblythe,
What people fail to see is how the GOP keeps moving the goal post.
Before the game even started, to win it took overtaking those 100 yards on the field.
The GOP keeps changing the goal post. The spending bill already passed congress, but the GOP now says we're spending too much, and moves the goal post 25 yards longer. They wanted to overturn ObamaCare. With the furloughed government workers, they now say, well, we'll let them get paid, and move the goal post five yards closer. Now it's 120 yards to score a win.

They'll continue to play this game which is endless if we let them have what they want. Piecemeal advancement as they see fit while the stadium begins to lose the audience. But we already know that 35% of Americans believe as Ted Cruz, and they'll remain in the stadium no matter what it costs. They only know that our government spends too much. BUT, they don't want to cut defense spending - the most expensive part of our budget.

Social security can be fixed over night by increasing the tax and extending the age at which people become eligible. Those are very simple fixes, but congress thinks Americans will take away their votes from them if they do that!

TNCFS

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 11:08 am
Another way to help fund Social Security is to quit putting its funding into general revenue, where it gets hijacked.

As I said elsewhere, there is going to be a decisive battle against the teabaggers. Might as well get it done now. The longer it drags out, the more harm will be done, in my opinion.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 11:09 am
@edgarblythe,
Well, we all know that'll never happen! It's been talked about for decades, and nothing comes of it. Our government is broken in so many ways, I'm not sure there can be a cure for what ails them.

However, that really is not a solution, because as more Americans retire to live much longer lives, there needs to be adjustments to increase revenue and extending the age of eligibility. At the current rate, social security will go broke in the mid 2030's.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 11:20 am
@cicerone imposter,
In about 1962, I read a book "authored" by Ron Reagan, claiming SS will go broke in 40 years, I think the figure was. Well, I believe it will go on as long as the public demands it. But we have to weed out the ones who want it gone.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 12:44 pm
day six opens with news headlines that Cruze is promising his followers victory and with Boehner saying there will be neither CR or debt limit increase till Obama and the D's come to the table to work this out.

Oct 27 is my projection for resolution.

edit: I am also reading that this battle is the predictable result of an intense move by several well funded groups over many month to demand it. I gather that we should take this as an admission from journalists that they got the story wrong for most of those months, while they were barely talking about the oct 1 date because they though it was no big deal.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 03:41 pm
@edgarblythe,
From cnsnnews.
Quote:
Social Security Will Go Bankrupt by 2037 – Four Years Earlier Than Projected May 12, 2009 - 4:02 PM The financial health of Social Security and Medicare, the government's two biggest benefit programs, have worsened because of the severe recession, and Medicare is now paying out more than it receives. Martin Crutsinger, Associated Press - See more at: http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/social-security-will-go-bankrupt-2037-four-years-earlier-projected#sthash.CcHm9Yvt.dpuf

I'll be gone by then.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 03:46 pm
To me, figures like that are meaningless, because they don't calculate the incalculables. I believe it is most likely to end, if it does, at the hands of zealots.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 04:06 pm
@edgarblythe,
That's the reason why they revise their "estimates" regularly. There is no way to predict future economic activity; there's no "science" that can predict how the economy and world situation will be in the future. There was no way for anybody to predict the Great Recession of 2008 in the year 2000.

Changes in immigration laws also impacts our demographics. That's up to future congress and the president to determine. Nobody can predict how they will affect future social benefits and costs.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 04:24 pm
@cicerone imposter,
This has been said before and it's BS. SocSec will need to be adjusted by 2037, but will not go bankrupt. This propaganda comes from those who want to make money from managing those funds. Read AARP reports for the truth.