I didn't believe the government would be shut down.

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 08:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Once they get Obamacare and can see for themselves how the Republicans lied about it, there may not be many Republicans left.

once the people realize how much Obamacare adds to our nations yearly healthcare costs when they had been promised that this was "revenue neutral" there might not be many D's left.
parados

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 08:55 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
once the people realize how much Obamacare adds to our nations yearly healthcare costs when they had been promised that this was "revenue neutral" there might not be many D's left.

That's a silly argument hawkeye. No one can prove it does add to the cost because we don't know what the cost would be without it. We can look at it statistically and they will but everyone will just believe or not believe based on what they believe now.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 09:08 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
No it's not. It's taunting the opposition. Razz
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 09:53 pm
@parados,
healthcare inflation has been in a range, any increase in cost above that range can be blamed on increase in consumption.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 10:37 pm
@edgarblythe,
As part of the Federal workforce I remember every indignity of the Gingrich led Government shut down. Now I watch the people with young families and couples with kids in college in an absolute panic trying to figure out what to do. While its true some are back on duty, they are not being paid. The Capital police who had to subdue the deranged women woman who crashed her car into a barrier near the White House are on duty without pay. There could be complications for the men who were injured. I'm not sure if their health coverage will pay if the premium is not deducted from the non-existent paycheck. If they must work during the furlough, without pay, and are injured during a work related situation, can they use sick leave?

Following the incident with the deranged woman, an as yet unidentified man, poured gasoline on his body, set himself on fire on the Mall area. He died the next day.

I'm happy for all the travelers who can make their flights because the Air Traffic Controllers are on the job, also in an unpaid status.

I suppose the only thing I hope for, is that our country doesn't experience another atrocity like we saw on 9/11. But if we do, how many minutes will have passed before politicians demand to know WHY the intell community didn't know, didn't warn or prevent it. Once again you will see amnesia sweep thru the Senate and House as their minds are cleansed of anything reminding them that they are assholes who control the budget that funds the direction and scope of the watchdogs. Our Congress is making us look like fools to our friends, and making us targets for our enemies.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 03:21 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Keep dreamin'!

What does that mean Frank?

It is a dramatic way of saying, "keep dreaming." I dropped the "g" and added an apostrophe for effect.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 06:21 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

healthcare inflation has been in a range, any increase in cost above that range can be blamed on increase in consumption.

Do you agree that Obamacare hasn't increased costs based on the range?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 08:07 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Joe,

I had to cogitate on this for a bit. We are saying the same thing, just from our different perspectives. Naturally I disagree with every word you say.

I see. So you agree with me, which is why you disagree with me.
revelette

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 08:22 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Disapproval of congressional Republicans’ budget wrangling after a weeklong shutdown has shot up to 70 percent, with 51 percent disapproving “strongly,” according to a new Washington Post-ABC News poll.

At the same time, President Obama’s approval rating has ticked up due to improved marks among moderate Democrats and independents. No group, however, earns positive marks for their handling of budget negotiations overall.

Some 45 percent approve of Obama’s handling of budget negotiations, up slightly from 41 percent last week. A still larger 51 percent disapproves of Obama, with 39 percent of the public disapproving strongly. Obama’s fellow Democrats have not been as resilient. Fully 61 percent of Americans now disapprove of congressional Democrats (up from 56 percent last week), with strong disapproval rising nine points (to 45 percent).

Republicans in Congress are worse off still. A Post-ABC poll last week found 63 percent disapproving of Republicans, a number that has grown to 70 percent in the past week. Strong disapproval has grown from 42 to 51 percent over the same period.

The poll finds Democrats and Republicans have become convinced that the opposite party is in the wrong on budget negotiations, but are far less united in support of their own leaders. Just 52 percent of Republicans, for instance, approve of how Republicans in Congress are handling budget negotiations. Fully 89 percent of Republicans disapprove of Obama, with 74 percent disapproving strongly. An identical 89 percent of Democrats disapprove of Republicans

The wide unpopularity of Republicans in Congress in budget talks is in large part due to a schism within Republicans themselves. By 59 to 39 percent, conservative Republicans approve of the way their party’s members of congress have handled budget negotiations in combined interviews over two weeks. But Republicans who identify as moderate or liberal split narrowly: 44 percent approval to 49 percent disapproval.

This ideological split within the Republican party comes into sharper focus when looking at the most conservative party members. Republicans who describe themselves as “very conservative” approve of Republicans in Congress by 68 to 32 percent. Those who are just “somewhat conservative” split 51 to 45 percent in two weeks of combined poll results.

By contrast, Obama wins wider approval from his fellow partisans that spans Democrats’ ideological wings. Fully 77 percent of Democrats approve of Obama’s handling of budget negotiations, including 84 percent of liberals within the party. Among moderate and conservative Democrats, three quarters approve of Obama, up 11 points from last week.

The Post-ABC poll was conducted October 2 to 6, 2013 among a random national sample of 1,005 adults reached on conventional and cellular phones. The overall results have a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

source

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 10:34 am
@glitterbag,
Oh, proximity implies veracity?

I guess you stomped around the memorial all day watching and recording and then stomped around the office of the Honor Flight organizer.

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 11:51 am
@revelette,
we will have to wait to see if other polls have the citizens turning against the R's. I notice that Bill Kristol was on Morning Joe today saying that the R's have ready taken all the popularity hit they are going to take so they should put the pedal to the metal in driving towards the cliff. maybe he is out if the information loop, but Bill kristol did not get to be Bill Kristol by not understanding what is going on.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 12:27 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Dear Stupid, turn on the TV. Death benefits and burial arrangements for military can not be provided until the Govt opens back up.

The president is speaking as I am typing this.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 12:32 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
As far as proximity, yes, I have actual sources, you have rumors. I'm not going to tell you how to raise cattle, and I don't need your fanciful views on Washington.
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 01:28 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Bill kristol did not get to be Bill Kristol by not understanding what is going on.

No, that's pretty much exactly how Bill Kristol got to be Bill Kristol. That, and the fact that he chose the right parents.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 01:37 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

McGentrix wrote:

Joe,

I had to cogitate on this for a bit. We are saying the same thing, just from our different perspectives. Naturally I disagree with every word you say.

I see. So you agree with me, which is why you disagree with me.

Like arguing with a mirror. Everything is just opposite.
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 02:12 pm
@McGentrix,
Explain.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 04:51 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
but Bill kristol did not get to be Bill Kristol by not understanding what is going on.

Quote:
“I’m cautiously optimistic that Romney’s going to win.” — Oct. 31, on the Laura Ingraham Show.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1112/83447.html#ixzz2hApX7LxP
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 05:55 pm
@glitterbag,
Oooohhh "sources!"

All I have is the interviews with the vets and the Honor Flight organizer.

Obviously you don't need my views on Washington, but then I wasn't offering them to you.

As for cattle, if you know anything about raising them, please share. I'm thinking of joining my neighbors and buying a half dozen - Long Horns. You get a nice little tax break for raising cattle...even in the DFW Metroplex.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 01:52 pm
CAUTION. This post includes a bunch of numbers.
The press reported the news yesterday that a "new poll" indicated that Obama's approval rating had taken a big hit since the shutdown started: 37% Approve while 57% Disapprove (= 90%).
The poll was done by AP/GpK of Adults who were asked whether they (1) approved or (2) disapproved or (3) neither approved or disapproved.
Those who answered (1) or (2) were then asked if they would say that they (1A) strongly approved or (1B) somewhat approved or whether they (2A) strongly disapproved or (2B) somewhat disapproved.
What caught my eye was the number of people (10%) who answered the initial question with (3). In earlier polls by the same pollsters it was more like 1 to 3%.
Most of the slippage in Obama's ratings seems to have come from (1B).
By the way, those who initially were in the (3) camp were invited to indicate whether they were leaning towards either approval or disapproval. As I read the data, many chose to stay in the (3) camp.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 02:02 pm
@realjohnboy,
obama's numbers are always skewed by race bias, people dont want to self report not liking him. we get closer to the real picture when asking if people support specific policies. take any obama approval rating and swing at least an additional 5% of the sample to disapproval.