I didn't believe the government would be shut down.

McGentrix

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 02:27 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

I think we're beginning to get an insight into Republican bargaining tactics.

But that's OK, McG. If you don't know what the GOP is willing to give up, I understand. After all, the GOP doesn't know what the GOP is willing to give up, so you're in good company.

As for what the Democrats are willing to give up, they haven't identified anything substantive. That's understandable, given that the Republicans haven't identified anything either. If I demanded that you give me $100, I imagine your response would be something along the lines of "go to hell." And if I then demanded that you give me $50 instead, I'm pretty confident you wouldn't interpret that as a compromise on my part.

So basically you're saying that the Democrats will not negotiate then? You sure use a lot of unnecessary words to say such a simple thing. But, you harp on the Republicans for being unwilling to negotiate? I don't get it Joe. Why harp on one side when neither side are willing to negotiate? Reflex?

The Republicans have stated that they would like a 1 year extension for the general public from the ACA just like Big Business received from Obama. You know which ACA I am referring to right? The immutable "law of the land" that keeps getting brought up. The one that has been changed 19 times since it became a law? I am sure you know the one I am referring to.
McGentrix

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 02:30 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

McGentrix wrote:
What are the Democrats offering?

They don't need to offer anything. No compromise means that the will of some of the voters is honored, and that the Democratic platform becomes federal policy --- which is the natural baseline when Democrats win the presidency, keep the Senate, and win the popular vote for the House and use parlor tricks to pass bills.

I really hope Obama is secretly working on his executive order to print that trillion-dollar platinum coin.

I fixed your statement for you Thomas to more accurately depict the situation.
parados

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 02:44 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:

So basically you're saying that the Democrats will not negotiate then?

No. He is saying when one side demands the other side give up stuff while making no offer themselves then there is no negotiation.

By the way, the Dems have offered to give the GOP the budget number they asked for. Now, tell us what the GOP is offering other than a shutdown.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 02:45 pm
By the way, McG...the president has indicated that he would be willing to "negotiate" everything the Republicans want "negotiated"...after these two economic housekeeping items are tended to.

The Republicans are NOT looking for negotiations...they are looking for concessions that they cannot obtain through legislation.

Obama has indicated he is not willing to be blackmailed into concessions.

I, for one, hope he sticks to his guns. This hostage taking nonsense is garbage...and if he gives into them, he will set a precedent that will haunt the Republic for a long, long time.

parados

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 02:46 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
You know which ACA I am referring to right? The immutable "law of the land" that keeps getting brought up. The one that has been changed 19 times since it became a law?

You mean the law that has been changed by the House and Senate passing legislation changing it and then the President signed those changes into law?

Why can't the House follow those same procedures?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 02:47 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
So basically you're saying that the Democrats will not negotiate then? You sure use a lot of unnecessary words to say such a simple thing. But, you harp on the Republicans for being unwilling to negotiate? I don't get it Joe. Why harp on one side when neither side are willing to negotiate? Reflex?

I don't blame either side for refusing to negotiate. Indeed, as evidenced by the failed "grand bargain" talks of 2011, I think the country is better off when they don't negotiate. Obama nearly gave away the store that time, and we were only saved by the stupid intransigence of the GOP. Hooray for the Teabaggers!

This time around, the Democrats have said that they won't engage in negotiations until a clean CR is passed. Meanwhile, the Republicans aren't negotiating at all, they're merely engaging in a crude attempt at extortion. That an impasse has resulted is hardly surprising. It's just that the Republicans think that the only ones who aren't negotiating are the Democrats - and you apparently agree.

McGentrix wrote:
The Republicans have stated that they would like a 1 year extension for the general public from the ACA just like Big Business received from Obama.

But that's not a compromise on the GOP's part. They're not offering to give up something, they're demanding that the Democrats give up something. The Republicans aren't compromising, they're simply signalling to the Democrats what would be acceptable as their compromise.

McGentrix wrote:
You know which ACA I am referring to right? The immutable "law of the land" that keeps getting brought up. The one that has been changed 19 times since it became a law? I am sure you know the one I am referring to.

It was changed a lot more times than that in Max Baucus's senate finance committee, usually to appease Republicans who, in the end, voted against the bill anyway. The GOP had a magnificent opportunity to help fashion a health insurance law that, lest we forget, was a Republican proposal to begin with. Instead, it largely passed on that opportunity in order to score some cheap political points. So it's their own damned fault that they ended up with a law that they now can't abide.
McGentrix

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 02:48 pm
@Frank Apisa,
After those 2 "economic housekeeping items" are tended to, the Republicans have nothing left to barter with. The House controls spending and that is what they are doing. Blame the constitution for so many checks and balances.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 02:53 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

After those 2 "economic housekeeping items" are tended to, the Republicans have nothing left to barter with. The House controls spending and that is what they are doing. Blame the constitution for so many checks and balances.

Well...they can attempt to get what they want via Constitutional means...or they can attempt to extort it from the Democrats by holding the nation and the economy hostage the way they are.

I would suggest that the proper way is the former. They have the right to attempt the latter...and the president and the Democrats have the right to resist that attempt with everything they have at their disposal.

I'm an Independent betting on the Democrats this time.
0 Replies

manored

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 02:53 pm
I don't get some of the logic being used here:

-> The democrats supposedly passed a bill through legislative trickery, aka, something that is technically legal but would be considered immoral.

-> Therefore, its ok for the republicans to hold up the budget in order to try to repel said bill through blackmailing, which is also something technically legal but that would be considered immoral.

Really? Does one side doing something they are not supposed to allow the other to do something they are not supposed to?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 03:22 pm
@McGentrix,
So you admit that the only thing the GOP is offering is to not shut down the government.

That isn't negotiation. It is extortion.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 03:42 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

For starters you're wrong. The organizer of Honor Flight spoke to a nameless bureaucrat in DC about their next scheduled flight and was told anyone crossing the barricades would be arrested.

Irrespective of anything one believes about the government "shutdown," barricading the WWII memorial was not an unavoidable consequence, it was mean-spirited, petty and spiteful, and it was, in a very warped way, intended to irk conservatives.

Oh really, I live near the monuments and you get your bullshit info from who? Sorry champ, this is my stomping grounds. Your fellow TB's might believe that crap, not those who live and work in the DC area. Rookie knee jerk reaction.
Thomas

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 04:28 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
I fixed your statement for you Thomas to more accurately depict the situation.

No, I liked my statement just fine. Perhaps you should stick to writing your own statements rather than rewriting mine.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 04:51 pm
Quote:
And while a CNN/ORC International survey also indicates that slightly more people are angry at Republicans than Democrats or President Barack Obama for the shutdown, it is clear that both sides are taking a hit.

The poll, conducted over the weekend, was released on Monday, nearly one week into the partial shutdown over a push by tea party backed GOP lawmakers trying to dismantle or defund Obama's signature health care reform law.

According to the poll, 63% of those questioned say they are angry at the Republicans for the way they have handled the shutdown.

"But the Democrats are not getting off scot-free. Fifty-seven percent of Americans are also angry at the way the Democrats are dealing with the shutdown. And a 53% majority say they are also angry at President Obama," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. "It looks like there is more than enough blame to go around and both parties are being hurt by the shutdown."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/10/07/cnn-shutdown-poll-plenty-of-blame-to-go-around/?hpt=hp_t1

hawkeye10 called it right yet again, weeks ago. the polls three weeks ago had the R's blamed more by 15%, now we are down to 5%. Obama and the D's miscalculated thinking that they could not lift a finger to keep the nation out of crisis and then milk the situation politically, the American people are not so easy to manipulate anymore, many A2K'ers excepted.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 06:32 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
And while a CNN/ORC International survey also indicates that slightly more people are angry at Republicans than Democrats or President Barack Obama for the shutdown, it is clear that both sides are taking a hit.

The poll, conducted over the weekend, was released on Monday, nearly one week into the partial shutdown over a push by tea party backed GOP lawmakers trying to dismantle or defund Obama's signature health care reform law.

According to the poll, 63% of those questioned say they are angry at the Republicans for the way they have handled the shutdown.

"But the Democrats are not getting off scot-free. Fifty-seven percent of Americans are also angry at the way the Democrats are dealing with the shutdown. And a 53% majority say they are also angry at President Obama," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. "It looks like there is more than enough blame to go around and both parties are being hurt by the shutdown."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/10/07/cnn-shutdown-poll-plenty-of-blame-to-go-around/?hpt=hp_t1

hawkeye10 called it right yet again, weeks ago. the polls three weeks ago had the R's blamed more by 15%, now we are down to 5%. Obama and the D's miscalculated thinking that they could not lift a finger to keep the nation out of crisis and then milk the situation politically, the American people are not so easy to manipulate anymore, many A2K'ers excepted.

Keep dreamin'!
McGentrix

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 06:40 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Keep dreamin'!

What does that mean Frank?
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 07:18 pm
The Republican shutdown will cost them dearly in the coming elections.
McGentrix

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 07:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

The Republican shutdown will cost them dearly in the coming elections.

We'll have to wait and see about that. By that time all the people signing up for Obamacare will be poor and looking for a change.
McGentrix

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 07:49 pm
@joefromchicago,
Joe,

I had to cogitate on this for a bit. We are saying the same thing, just from our different perspectives. Naturally I disagree with every word you say.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 07:50 pm
@McGentrix,
Once they get Obamacare and can see for themselves how the Republicans lied about it, there may not be many Republicans left.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 08:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Once they get Obamacare and can see for themselves how the Republicans lied about it, there may not be many Republicans left.

That's just wishful thinking, edgar.