I didn't believe the government would be shut down.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2013 03:21 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

And how would you react to:

"jcboy hasn't even had 15 minutes of fame but now let us hope he finds the rattlesnake hole he crawled out of and go back in and take his fellow degenerates with him!"

But it's different...right?

Well, the difference, of course, is that jcboy did not just crawl out of a rattler's nest. Cruz did.

I don't know whether (metaphorically) jcboy did or he didn't, and neither (I suspect) do you.

The point, of course, is not that he is a human-serpent followed by fellow degenerates, but that he's a nasty piece of work who, ironically, accuses me of incoherent rants, and would be screaming "Homophobia!" if someone wrote in the same vein about him.

Despite the left's belief that Cruz is Satan and tea-party members are his hell spawn, jcboy's comment was offensive, and if the tables were turned in the context of another thread the I'm Offended Chorus would have been deafening in their condemnation.

Nothing holier than him in this, I just like to point out inconsistencies in the holier than thou crowd. It should be tough for anyone who makes quite a big deal about offending behavior to be given a pass on a clearly offensive comment.

Don't get me wrong, people can be as offensive as they want, but if they are,, they shouldn't be such little bitches about it when the shoe is on the other foot.

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2013 03:30 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Ssometimes I love you, Lustig.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2013 04:51 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm flattered, osso.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2013 04:55 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
One thing is Ted Cruz and the tea-party who demonstrated that they'd willfully flush the nation and the world down the toilet to get their way in opposition of a single piece of legislation, another thing is people's sexuality.

The first group could be likened to have crawled out of a snake hole because of their behavior that economically threatened the nation and the world. That does not equate with likening the second group as such simply because of their sexuality that threatens no one, except perhaps, some people's sensibilities.

I don't know if I should be surprised or not that this distinction has to be explained to you.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2013 05:04 pm
@jcboy,
to the woman and possible others ready as stenographers in place (I've a friend who was a court stenographer, very smart)

A) you don't get to rant in that circumstance, see your employment rules
B) this woman was emotionally crazed, in fervor trying to catch up to Cruz.
C) I hope she catches up to him and becomes a (oh, never mind, that's too mean).
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2013 05:14 pm
@ossobuco,
Very Happy Sometimes all the girls love Lustig, Osso
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2013 05:17 pm
@glitterbag,
now you're gonna make me blush
0 Replies

Moment-in-Time

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2013 05:18 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:

One thing is Ted Cruz and the tea-party who demonstrated that they'd willfully flush the nation and the world down the toilet to get their way in opposition of a single piece of legislation, another thing is people's sexuality.

The first group could be likened to have crawled out of a snake hole because of their behavior that economically threatened the nation and the world. That does not equate with likening the second group as such simply because of their sexuality that threatens no one, except perhaps, some people's sensibilities.

Ah, my fellow poster. Your statement is spot on! Keep it up! Your straightforwardness is a breath of fresh air!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2013 05:19 pm
@glitterbag,
It's true, from time to time. To you, I get that McCarthy was a drunk, but please, all drunks aren't McCarthy. I've been called that here, usually by x-drunks, and I am the polar opposite of him. Well, not polar opposite, I'm not into pillory.
Moment-in-Time

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2013 05:40 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:

The words "under God" were not added until 1954, during the Communist Witch Hunt by Joe McCarthy, a boozed up Senator from Wisconsin. He relentlessly sought to label Americans as Communist sympathizers, he relied on rumors that even he didn't believe, and ruined many lives. What's really rich, is that if that drunken imbecile was still alive, he'd be pursuing Ted Cruz.

Fantastic statement, Glitterbag.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2013 01:09 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
polar opposite

I've never realised before what an odd cliche that is. I'm pretty sure that opposite the pole is another pole. Meaningless digression ends.
roger

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2013 01:24 am
@hingehead,
Different kinds of poles, maybe. Like fishin' poles. Lots of differences between a split bamboo fly rod, and some old cane pole with a worm on the end of the line.

Keep in mind it's 1:30 in the morning around here.
hingehead

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2013 01:27 am
@roger,
I was definitely stuck in north pole south pole preconceptions (polar explorers et al)
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2013 03:53 pm
@hingehead,
but...but...the North Pole and the South Pole are at opposite ends of the planet to each other. I always assumed that's what the reference was to and it made perfectly good sense to me.
hingehead

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2013 07:22 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Kind of, except that if I were to blindfold you and you drop off at one of the poles - you wouldn't be able to tell which one - they are both remarkably similar (until the arctic melts of course). So you can be opposite and terrifyingly similar. There's a philosophical point in there somewhere but my stablehand's shovel isn't big enough to dig it out.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2013 07:31 pm
@hingehead,
Well, then, perhaps, in order to make the expression more palatable to you, hinge, you might think of 'polar' as representing the two poles of a magnet -- one is positive (+), the other negative (-).
hingehead

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2013 07:37 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
But the labels don't make any difference, any more than south pole and north pole as labels make any difference if you visit one or the other. If you show me one end of a magnet I can't tell if it's the + end or the - end. I guess it's frame of reference and what 'opposite' means to you. I'm more of a bizarro interpretationalist. So the polar opposite of the pole would be the equator. Thank you for caring enough to explain, I do understand what's meant, I'm just saying if you, sorry, if I think about it it seems a little odd.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2013 07:40 pm
@hingehead,
It may well be a little odd. But I've honestly enjoyed this brief conversation and hope you realize that for part of it, at least, my tongue was firmly lodged in my cheek. Smile
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2013 07:42 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

Kind of, except that if I were to blindfold you and you drop off at one of the poles - you wouldn't be able to tell which one - they are both remarkably similar (until the arctic melts of course). So you can be opposite and terrifyingly similar. There's a philosophical point in there somewhere but my stablehand's shovel isn't big enough to dig it out.

Penguins.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2013 09:06 pm
@McGentrix,
You got 'im there.
0 Replies