I didn't believe the government would be shut down.

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 02:04 pm
It's hard to say you approve of anybody in government, just now.
roger

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 03:37 pm
@edgarblythe,
I used to like Ben Campbell and Bill Armstrong. Both were from Colorado, and it turned out that neither liked the way the game was played. Funny how that works.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 04:00 pm
It's a rough game, played honorably or otherwise.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 04:06 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

It's a rough game, played honorably or otherwise.

It is, indeed, a very rough game, Edgar.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2013 09:10 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
we get closer to the real picture when asking if people support specific policies

Boomerang! Poll Reveals GOP's Government Shutdown Bolstered Obamacare's Popularity By 20%
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2013 12:55 pm
Can anyone explain to me how the media is not biased toward republicans with headlines like "the Senate voted against the debt limit" when 53 democrats voted for it while 45 republicans voted against it. Why dident it read republicanes defeated debt limit vote in Senate?
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2013 01:28 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

Can anyone explain to me how the media is not biased toward republicans with headlines like "the Senate voted against the debt limit" when 53 democrats voted for it while 45 republicans voted against it. Why dident it read republicanes defeated debt limit vote in Senate?
because their title is "senator from the R party" not "R party member serving in the Senate" the constituency is the people back home, not the party.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 13 Oct, 2013 11:44 am
@hawkeye10,
today is day 13.....half way to my target date of oct 27, of course if that prick Obama does not keep the bills paid we will be on our way to a depression or deep recession by then.
parados

Reply Sun 13 Oct, 2013 06:36 pm
@hawkeye10,
If only Obama was king and could ignore the laws......
parados

Reply Sun 13 Oct, 2013 06:40 pm
@parados,
From a Congressional recap of the 1996 closure.

Quote:
Parks, Museums, and Monuments.
Closure of 368 National Park Service sites
(loss of 7 million visitors) reportedly occurred, with loss of tourism revenues to
local communities; and closure of national museums and monuments (reportedly
with an estimated loss of 2 million visitors) occurred.

Why can't Obama just ignore the law and keep those museums and monuments open? Perhaps because he has more sense than the people that are demanding he keep them open.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 05:26 pm
Until tonight, you could still make a semi-reasonable argument that the government shutdown and debt ceiling fight was Democrat versus Republican. Today, the Senate appeared close to a deal but decided to wait before voting to see how things turned out in the House. Because there is no filibuster rule in the House and Republicans have a large majority, whatever passes the House will be a Republican plan. Well, Republican leaders have officially canceled tonight's vote in the House of Representatives because the somewhat moderate conservatives cannot reason with the insane Tea Party assholes in their own party.

They were going to vote on a proposal that still had minor adjustments to Obamacare (which is not what the President or Senate wants) but it wasn't enough for the extreme right-wing lunatics. Congratulations, Tea Party. The shutdown and debt ceiling insanity is 100% officially your fault now. Oh and congratulations on your re-election in 2014 because all of your districts are ridiculously secure. YAY AMERICA!
McGentrix

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 06:18 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

Until tonight, you could still make a semi-reasonable argument that the government shutdown and debt ceiling fight was Democrat versus Republican. Today, the Senate appeared close to a deal but decided to wait before voting to see how things turned out in the House. Because there is no filibuster rule in the House and Republicans have a large majority, whatever passes the House will be a Republican plan. Well, Republican leaders have officially canceled tonight's vote in the House of Representatives because the somewhat moderate conservatives cannot reason with the insane Tea Party assholes in their own party.

They were going to vote on a proposal that still had minor adjustments to Obamacare (which is not what the President or Senate wants) but it wasn't enough for the extreme right-wing lunatics. Congratulations, Tea Party. The shutdown and debt ceiling insanity is 100% officially your fault now. Oh and congratulations on your re-election in 2014 because all of your districts are ridiculously secure. YAY AMERICA!

Yeah, Reid saying that "it didn't matter what came out of the House, it wasn't going to the Senate floor" had nothing to do with it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 06:36 pm
The Teaparty ought to change their name to idon'tcarewhatanybodyelsewantswearedoingwhatiwant.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 07:25 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

They are insane, jc...or want everyone to think they are insane.

Either way...America and the rest of the world gets screwed.
jcboy

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 05:15 am
@Frank Apisa,
Yes they are! Lots of important developments in Washington, DC, last night! The Tea Party was handed an embarrassing defeat when the Senate voted 81-18 in favor of funding the government and not defaulting on our debt. All 18 no-votes were Republicans. Then the House voted 285 (including 87 Republicans) to 144 (all Republicans) in favor of the same bill and the President signed it.

But let's not ignore the House stenographer who went on a rant during the vote. She went up to the microphone and ranted about how we should be serving Jesus Christ and how the Constitution was written by Freemasons. Wow! What a dedicated Christian! I respect her beliefs completely! Not!
revelette

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 06:55 am
The Government Shutdown Has Cost The Economy $24 Billion
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 07:10 am
@revelette,
Even when the Queen has a tea party, it doesn't cost that much.

You certainly know how to push the boat out, you 'mericans.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 07:10 am
@revelette,
I am sure that .14% gdp is nothing to sneeze at, but I think I will resist panic. especially since a lot of it will be made up in the coming weeks.

by comparison the Washington budget stand off, which has not been resolved, is estimated to be costing us as much as 5% in lost gdp. talk about being worried about the wrong things! Idiot Americans excel at this.
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 07:15 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

I am sure that .14% gdp is nothing to sneeze at, but I think I will resist panic. especially since a lot of it will be made up in the coming weeks.

Made up as in fictional? Or in good ol' tax dollars that could be helping those in need of medical care?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 01:51 pm
McCain is today personally guaranting that there will be no more shut downs anytime soon on the grounds that now Obama HAS TOO do the right thing.

what a riot of an old fart he is! Obama will follow his established dealing with books that dont work MO, do as near to nothing as he can get away with and then blame Congress for nothing getting done.