I didn't believe the government would be shut down.

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 01:27 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Quote:
Boehner and his Tea Party

Boehner is not in the Tea Party, and in fact those on the right of the party had to force him against his will to get on board this fight.

but then it was clear long ago that you dont know anything but what you read in the D press releases.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 02:40 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Public polling since Obamacare was first proposed has shown opposition around 55% to 65%

And a goodly number of that percentage comes from liberals who wanted to make the bill stronger; more inclusive; with a single payer system.

Your side continues to delude itself into thinking that "opposition" to the bill means wanting to kill it.

It doesn't mean that at all.

Quote:

The 2012 election was, obviously, not a referendum on Obamacare.

Obamacare was a HUGE PLAYER in the last election.

Barack Obama won!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 02:56 pm
I have said before and I say again: The time to set back the teabaggers is now, before they become emboldened enough to do even more severe damage to the country. They have been compromised with since Obama took office and I think it has already gone too far.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 06:23 pm
@hawkeye10,
Nice move Hawk. Makes it look like you are much better read than mit even though you only listen to Fox news.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 09:37 pm
A friend of mine said this on Facebook:
Alas, Obama increased their incentive to try blackmail by caving previously. IMO he proved once again that appeasement doesn't work with bullies -- it only emboldens them.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 07:24 am
Quote:
House Republicans have passed a bill that would open the national parks, but President Obama has vowed to veto it. In the Senate, Majority Leader Harry Reid, Nevada Democrat, said either all of the government must be funded or none of it will be funded.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/oct/6/national-park-rangers-ordered-to-keep-visitors-out/?page=2#ixzz2h2g97gg2

Do you believe that is how govt should work? All or nothing? The longer this lasts, the worse it will get for the Dems in the Senate and House.
parados

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 07:31 am
@McGentrix,
The parks are closed because the House failed to pass the required appropriation bills.

The House is where ALL spending bills start. The House has failed to pass the legislation is was supposed to pass prior to Oct 1. The GOP controls the House and it's agenda. You can't blame this on the Dems unless you are completely ignoring reality.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 09:38 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

The parks are closed because the House failed to pass the required appropriation bills.

The House is where ALL spending bills start. The House has failed to pass the legislation is was supposed to pass prior to Oct 1. The GOP controls the House and it's agenda. You can't blame this on the Dems unless you are completely ignoring reality.

the D's did not do any better at getting budgets passes when they ran the place. in fact budgets rarely have gotten done on time over the last 30'years. the process is broken.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 10:00 am
@hawkeye10,
I will add that going years without a budget, relying on CR's to fund operations indefinitely is new, But how often do we hear either D's or R's squawking about that? the not getting the work done is a D/R joint project.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 10:03 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

parados wrote:

the D's did not do any better at getting budgets passes when they ran the place. in fact budgets rarely have gotten done on time over the last 30'years. the process is broken.

I wonder which part of the quote Parados had the most problem understanding? was it "House Republicans have passed a bill that would open the national parks," which would indicate that an appropriation bill was passed by the house to reopen the National Parks, or maybe it was the part that said "House Republicans have passed a bill that would open the national parks," possibly? Maybe he read that in a different language then English? Maybe it was the last part that stated " In the Senate, Majority Leader Harry Reid, Nevada Democrat, said either all of the government must be funded or none of it will be funded." I mean I can totally see how that could be construed as... nah, who am I kidding? Parados is an ignorant Dem who is blind to anything so that was why I had him on ignore... When you argue with idiots, you just bring the conversation down to their level.

parados

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 10:18 am
@hawkeye10,
I don't recall saying the D's did better. The difference is when they didn't get their work done they usually passed a clean CR and got on with finishing their work.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 10:19 am
@McGentrix,
A partial CR is NOT an appropriation bill McG. What part of that don't you understand? It is weaseling to try to hide the fact that they haven't done their job.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 10:44 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Quote:
House Republicans have passed a bill that would open the national parks, but President Obama has vowed to veto it. In the Senate, Majority Leader Harry Reid, Nevada Democrat, said either all of the government must be funded or none of it will be funded.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/oct/6/national-park-rangers-ordered-to-keep-visitors-out/?page=2#ixzz2h2g97gg2

Do you believe that is how govt should work? All or nothing? The longer this lasts, the worse it will get for the Dems in the Senate and House.

I think the president and the Democrats in the Senate should stick to their guns...and refuse to allow the Tea Party dominated Republicans to hold the country hostage to their ideological demands.

If you honestly think that the longer this lasts the worse it will be for the Dems...you really have to open your eyes and mind a bit more, McG.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 10:57 am
Negotiation implies compromise. Compromise involves both parties giving up something they want in order to get something better. My question to those who think Obama and the Democrats aren't negotiating: what are the Republicans offering to give up? (and note: it can't be the government shutdown, because Republicans have said all along that they don't want the government to shut down, so they wouldn't be giving up something that they want)
McGentrix

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 01:05 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Negotiation implies compromise. Compromise involves both parties giving up something they want in order to get something better. My question to those who think Obama and the Democrats aren't negotiating: what are the Republicans offering to give up? (and note: it can't be the government shutdown, because Republicans have said all along that they don't want the government to shut down, so they wouldn't be giving up something that they want)

What are the Democrats offering?
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 01:28 pm
@McGentrix,
You answer my question first.
roger

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 01:31 pm
Uh oh! Sounds like there is no goal, but damn are we firm about it.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 01:52 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

You answer my question first.

Considering that the Republicans have repeatedly asked for a conversation and a sit down meeting while Reid and Obama just take their thumbs out of their mouths just long enough to whine out "no!" makes me believe that you need to answer first.
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 02:11 pm
@McGentrix,
I think we're beginning to get an insight into Republican bargaining tactics.

But that's OK, McG. If you don't know what the GOP is willing to give up, I understand. After all, the GOP doesn't know what the GOP is willing to give up, so you're in good company.

As for what the Democrats are willing to give up, they haven't identified anything substantive. That's understandable, given that the Republicans haven't identified anything either. If I demanded that you give me $100, I imagine your response would be something along the lines of "go to hell." And if I then demanded that you give me $50 instead, I'm pretty confident you wouldn't interpret that as a compromise on my part.
Thomas

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 02:14 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
What are the Democrats offering?

They don't need to offer anything. No compromise means that the will of the voters is honored, and that the Democratic platform becomes federal policy --- which is the natural baseline when Democrats win the presidency, keep the Senate, and win the popular vote for the House.

I really hope Obama is secretly working on his executive order to print that trillion-dollar platinum coin.