I didn't believe the government would be shut down.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 5 Oct, 2013 04:14 pm
What amazes me is that anyone, of any age, and in any century could, with a (virtual) straight face argue that the Republicans are just being totally political and don't care who they hurt, while the Democrats who are opposing spending bill exceptions are simply doing what is "right" for the country, even if their opposition hurts people.

The willful stupidity displayed by these folks is astounding.

All their self-proclaimed altruism is revealed for the bullshit it is. This isn't about doing what is right for the country, it's about crushing the "tea baggers," so their way of thought can rule the land...in every possible way.

parados

Reply Sat 5 Oct, 2013 04:22 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
In this particular case, the Democrats are doing what is right for the country. Whether that is their actual motive can certainly be questioned. But when one party tries to do an end run around the way laws are to be written and passed it is clear that opposing them is what is right for the country.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 5 Oct, 2013 04:57 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

In this particular case, the Democrats are doing what is right for the country. Whether that is their actual motive can certainly be questioned. But when one party tries to do an end run around the way laws are to be written and passed it is clear that opposing them is what is right for the country.

It's hardly as clear as you would like to believe, but you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

What do you call jamming a very unpopular bill through congress by a legislative trick and without a single vote from the minority party? Democracy in action?
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 Oct, 2013 05:04 pm
@McGentrix,
I don't know how it works where you live, but our state and local taxes barely pay the governor and his buddies, the corporations.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 5 Oct, 2013 05:24 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yeah right.

Unfortunately you are not the only Texan posting in this forum.

Where I live in North Texas our tax dollars are paying for an excellent school system, continuously improved infra-structure, and I haven't heard anyone bitching about Perry and those most noxious of entities, CORPORATIONS.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 5 Oct, 2013 05:41 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

parados wrote:

It's hardly as clear as you would like to believe, but you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

What do you call jamming a very unpopular bill through congress by a legislative trick and without a single vote from the minority party? Democracy in action?

How "unpopular" could it be?

The last presidential election was PRIMARILY about Obamacare...and Obama won.

roger

Reply Sat 5 Oct, 2013 06:18 pm
@McGentrix,
Quite so, McG, but it wasn't just you who paid for it. I also chipped in, and it wasn't voluntary. There's a little (~.32) surcharge on every land line in the US. I would have gotten some of my own back.
McGentrix

Reply Sat 5 Oct, 2013 08:40 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Quite so, McG, but it wasn't just you who paid for it. I also chipped in, and it wasn't voluntary. There's a little (~.32) surcharge on every land line in the US. I would have gotten some of my own back.

I hear ya. One of the reasons I did away with my land line, but I think they added something to cellphone bills too. I heard they were using obamaphones as bait for signing up for Obamacare...
McGentrix

Reply Sat 5 Oct, 2013 08:41 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

More like Romney lost the last election then Obama won I'd say...
roger

Reply Sat 5 Oct, 2013 08:45 pm
@McGentrix,
I don't know about obamaphones, but one of them might have lasted longer. Couldn't have lasted much less.

This was a phone for the hard of hearing, by the way, and I think it comes from the same charge that pays for fast internet out in the middle of the reservation where phone lines don't go.
0 Replies

manored

Reply Sat 5 Oct, 2013 08:58 pm
I find that the way how discussion in this thread sorta devolved into the fundamentals of what each party represents demonstrates the problem very well. Because there are only two parties (well, at least only two significant), which are each other's only obstacle to power, they can never be civil about anything. Even the smallest disagreement devolves into something of a flamewar revolving around their fundamental differences, the original point of the disagreement lost.

In fact, it is something that strikes me as very odd in american politics... how goddamn... polarized everything is. It feels like the parties live to oppose each other, not to further the country. Which leads to things like this paralyzation. Either party could give in and save the country from further harm. Would it give the other an edge? Yes. But it would save the country from further harm...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 Oct, 2013 09:35 pm
One reason Republican attempts to blame Democrats fails here, is because John Boehner already has enough votes to start the government up. He is just holding back in deference to the teabagger element. In short, Boehner is the real holdup.
roger

Reply Sat 5 Oct, 2013 09:44 pm
@edgarblythe,
Republicans have enough votes to override the Democrats without support form the teabag element?

Wow
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 Oct, 2013 09:47 pm
@roger,
There are enough votes in the House to end the shut down, but Boehner is refusing to call the vote.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 12:13 am
@edgarblythe,
Hello Edgar, I was a federal employee furloughed in 95 and in the earlier versions of this current pissing contest. Mr. glitterbag is currently furloughed, and last Thursday while I was having my hair trimmed and styled, I was shocked at how many patrons were complaining about the shutdown. What I find interesting, is that the Oct 5th Football game between the Navy & Air Force was played Saturday, the same day Lockheed Martin announced they would furlough 3,000 employees. Come Monday, there may be more.

It makes me sick that the people in this country still think this is a contest between Christian goodness and evil doers. Sadly, Ted Cruz haven't a clue how things work well and is forcing his skewed view of how everyone should conform to his bullshit twisted idea of democracy. Even sadder, there in no one in the Senate or House who can stand up and ask "Senator, have you no shame?" I can only hope that this country remembers what makes this country great, and at least listens to all the other countries who are asking "How did this happen to the most advanced democracy in the world. How could it allow itself to be held hostage by modern day pirates posing as Patriots. Even my stylist said "we are the laughing stock of the rest of the world". We never discuss politics, but it was the topic du jour this past Thursday.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 02:57 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

More like Romney lost the last election then Obama won I'd say...

Of course you would...so you can maintain the fiction that Americans hate the notion of Obamacare.

Obama won...and Obamacare was a huge issue in the election.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 07:43 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Since when is voting on legislation passing it with a majority, including overcoming a filibuster by the minority, and having it signed by the President a "legislative trick?" It is precisely the process laid out in the US Constitution. Anyone that calls it a "trick" "needs to get educated.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 09:32 am
@Frank Apisa,
Public polling since Obamacare was first proposed has shown opposition around 55% to 65%

The 2012 election was, obviously, not a referendum on Obamacare.

RABEL222

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 12:30 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn has spoken. Obama care is here by revoked.
0 Replies

Moment-in-Time

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 01:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:

There are enough votes in the House to end the shut down, but Boehner is refusing to call the vote.

Boehner's leadership as House Speaker is a contradiction in terms. He is not leadership material and he proves this everyday. Now Pelosi had control of her caucus, but I gotta admit, Boehner lacks the necessary backbone to hold the high position he currently heads. Boehner and his Tea Party dominated House will continue to serve as the proverbial thorn in Obama side, and this includes the American people who are weary of jumping from crisis to crisis, a situation which seemly thrills the dysfunctional Tea Party.