Rodeo clown with Obama mask has big defender: Rush Limbaugh

JTT

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 09:00 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Presidents, after all, are simply elected servents of the people. We don't come together every 4 years to coronate a king, and most certainly not a god-king.

And yet that's exactly what is done, Finn. You elect a god-king for one group. When they break the law as they always do, they are given a pass.
Foofie

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 10:15 am
@revelette,
revelette wrote:

If the clown made fun of Obama's ears, that would have been ok and not had any racial overtones at all. But blubbering his lips was just racist period. The only reason the audience "screamed" was the racial aspect of the joke, why else would it have made such a reaction except for the outrageousness of it?

So you are saying my granddaughter better be sure she is smart enough to really excel academically and move to a blue state or just grit her teeth and suck it up?

Making fun of the younger Bush's mispronouncing "nuclear" can also be considered racist, since from the standpoint of a minority it might show that white folk cannot even speak their own language correctly. It is all based on which side of the fence one is looking from.

And I am not giving your granddaughter any advice. Nor should I. I was just making a comment, based on my own observations about where bi-racial individuals meet with less racism. Whether that is true or not should be one's response, not whether I am giving advice. I can see we should end our discussion, since rather than say thank you for the possibly helpful information I offered, you are questionning whether I was giving some sort of gratuitous advice of what she should do.

If you think anyone can change the thinking in a red state, I think they are wasting their time. So, I offered possibly helpful information. You ascribe to me some intrusive advice towards your granddaughter's future. I was talking about bi-racial individuals, and where they find less racism. Take my opinion or not, and do with it what you want, but don't claim I am giving unsolicited advice to a SPECIFIC INDIVIDUAL.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 10:30 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

revelette wrote:
If the clown made fun of Obama's ears, that would have been ok and not had any racial overtones at all. But blubbering his lips was just racist period.

Maybe I'm having a German--American cultural disconnect here, but I just don't see how that follows.

Thomas, in my opinion, the U.S. having its Anglo-Saxon origins has made supposed Anglo-Saxon features the standard of beauty, and racial purity. So, thin lips, straight nose, besides complexion, connote an American that is on the right side of the racial tracks, so to speak. That leaves out Jews, or others, with Semitic noses, or a very wide smile, or big lips, or eyes set a little too close together, or hair texture, etc., etc. In effect, there are subtleties in the American social hierarchy that transcend the obvious. One really might need to be born here to "pick up" the nuances of prejudice. I have had children's photos shown to me (at work) where the parent specifically pointed out the "platinum blond" hair of the child. It was a point of pride.

For example, a German tourist might speak perfect English, with no discernable accent, yet when in a restaurant asks for "the toilet." Americans ask for the Men's Room or Rest Rooms, but not the toilet. That immediately makes the person receiving the question think that the person asking the question is a foreigner, with whatever connotation that has for him/herself.

0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 10:31 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Obama shud be degraded n scorned the same as W was.

W. never deliberately tried to harm the United States. Obunga rates a great more degradation and scorn than W. ever did.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 10:40 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

It's always possible to draw a connection between past racism and current actions. It doesn't mean the connection is valid.

Considering it was in my lifetime that Amos 'N Andy were so popular for mocking the English and mannerisms in the show, it seems unrealistic to think that the entire country will have had some sort of ephiphany about what should be humorous, or what shouldn't be humorous, just when a Black President got elected. If there was a Supreme Earth Director, the script would have had at least one lifetime between the popularity of Amos 'N Andy and an elected Black President. However, since there is no Supreme Earth Director writing Earth scripts, the two events overlapped, and not everyone was ready for the possible cognitive dissonance, in my opinion.

Like school, we all progress at different rates. But, harping on the occurrence is just divisive, in my opinion, for an America with bigger fish to fry.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 10:43 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
First show some remorse for your country's own sins.

Foofie the pot.

You are being intrusive again. I was talking to Izzy.
JTT

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 10:51 am
@Foofie,
You think that you have some free pass to parade your hypocrisy, Foof?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 11:24 am
@revelette,
revelette wrote:

So you are saying my granddaughter better be sure she is smart enough to really excel academically and move to a blue state or just grit her teeth and suck it up?

You seem to be making inferences about my motives in just explaining my own opinion as to how/where a bi-racial person can meet less racism. How can you know my motives? There were none, other than imparting my opinion about how/where bi-racial individuals can meet with less racism. Since I do not know your granddaughter any PERSONAL advice would be silly, since I do not know if she can aspire to a life in academia, or would be amenable to living in a blue state, now or in the future.

Perhaps, in my opinion, you should not have involved your granddaughter's situation in a post that was trying to show your concern about the thread's topic. In my opinion, replies by any poster could then be thought of as giving unsolicited advice. A perfect mistake; however, it could be avoided by keeping one's personal life and family out of any explanation of one's position on a post's topic. I will know better now, to not reply to any poster that includes family, since misconstruing the intent of a post can then be the result.

revelette

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 11:54 am
@Foofie,
Your right, I should have stuck to my usual habit and left my personal life out of it. Like eavesdroppers, you get what you ask for I guess. (as in a general you, not you, before anything else starts..)

However, leaving my personal family out it, in general, do you believe bi-racial people should live in more states more welcoming to them or learn to lump it? I would hope, sooner or later, more evolved attitudes would take more of a hold in even red states like KY. I think they have comes quite a ways, as even as twenty years ago, but needs to come still further.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 12:15 pm
A Republican politician in Florida sent this pic out today. Of course we are just looking for something to get upset about if we call it racist:
http://cdn.crooksandliars.com/files/uploads/2009/07/obama-witchdoctor-_f2dc8.jpg
Thomas

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 12:24 pm
@Kolyo,
Kolyo wrote:
Blacks' lips have been caricatured for over a century in minstrel shows and elsewhere in White popular culture.

I still don't get it. Lots of people have gotten caricatured since forever, and caricaturists have always been exaggerating all bodily and facial features of all their subjects. What's so different about the lips of Black subjects?
Thomas

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 12:27 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
Were you able to go into the actual article? Curious as I cannot get into that website from here, the actual newspaper - it is blocked.

No, I didn't get there. I only noticed that all the commenters are quoting this text, and in the same way, so I assumed it was authentic and didn't check any further.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 12:31 pm
@revelette,
I remember the Dixie Chicks brouhaha. I still have the CD somewhere that I bought to support them, and I still remember which Clear-Channel frequencies to avoid on my radio's dial. So I guess I'm just more comfortable with bashing the president than you are, whoever he or she is. But we're both consistent. (And I imagine that engineer would distinguish the cases because the Dixie Chicks were clearly protesting Bush's policies.)
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 12:35 pm
@revelette,
Mr.Beam, as quoted by Revelette, wrote:
I began to feel a sense of fear. It was that level of enthusiasm," said Beam:

"It was the usual until the very end at bull riding. As they were bringing the bulls into the chute and prepping them ... they bring out what looks like a dummy. The announcer says 'Here's our Obama dummy, or our dummy of Obama.' They mentioned the president's name, I don't know, 100 times. It was sickening. It was feeling like some kind of Klan rally you'd see on TV."

That's what I said earlier. Mr Beam is talking about how he felt. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but all the race stuff is expressed in his subjective reaction. None of his facts tell us that this was about race.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 12:37 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Kolyo wrote:
Blacks' lips have been caricatured for over a century in minstrel shows and elsewhere in White popular culture.

I still don't get it.

NO...you don't, Thomas. And you are more than intelligent enough TO GET IT. You can, in fact, with minimal effort, GROK it.

Stop with the "I just don't understand what you are getting at" routine...and get real.
Thomas

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 12:38 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
NO...you don't, Thomas. And you are more than intelligent enough TO GET IT. You can, in fact, with minimal effort, GROK it.

Sorry, that kind of rhetoric doesn't work on me. I don't do shame.
revelette

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 12:43 pm
@Thomas,
I don't understand why it is so hard to understand. Big lips is a stereotypical black feature used by racist folks to demean black folks. Why else would blubbing the lips of the clown of Obama have been half as hysterically funny to the audience?
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 12:49 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Sorry, that kind of rhetoric doesn't work on me. I don't do shame.

Obviously.
JTT

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 12:51 pm
@Frank Apisa,
That's pretty cool, Frank, you pretending to make a moral stand.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 12:54 pm
@revelette,
revelette wrote:
I don't understand why it is so hard to understand. Big lips is a stereotypical black feature used by racist folks to demean black folks. Why else would blubbing the lips of the clown of Obama have been half as hysterically funny to the audience?

For the same reason the caricatures in your newspaper are funny to you: Because they depict politicians and their facial features in a mean, mischievous way. Take this cartoon for example. It's one of the first that came up when I searched Google for "Obama caricatures".

http://www.kaltoons.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/candidates-web1.jpg

McCain's face has, among other things, ridiculously exaggerated cheeks, Obama's has, among other things, a ridiculously exaggerated lower lip. I'm equally fine with both. Both exaggerations are standard tools in a caricaturist's toolbox.