Rodeo clown with Obama mask has big defender: Rush Limbaugh

revelette

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 03:35 pm
@mysteryman,
You can say that with absolute confidence? I am not saying it is just horrible, but it exist.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 03:39 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
Which side of the line did that fall on?
Disrespecting the president.
Thomas

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 03:45 pm
@revelette,
revelette wrote:
Quote:
Which side of the line did that fall on?
Disrespecting the president.

And what's wrong with disrespecting the president?
gungasnake

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 03:51 pm
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/317107-stockman-invites-obama-rodeo-clown-to-perform-in-texas

Quote:

Rep. Steve Stockman (R-Texas) invited the rodeo clown who sparked controversy by donning a mask of President Obama at the Missouri State Fair to preform in Texas, his office said Wednesday.
“Liberals want to bronco bust dissent. But Texans value speech, even if its speech they don’t agree with,” Stockman said in a statement. “From Molly Ivins to Louie Gohmert and every opinion between, Texans value free and open political speech. I’m sure any rodeo in Texas would be proud to have [the] performers.”

According to news accounts, the rodeo clown put on the Obama mask before being chased by bulls around a pen, leading to condemnations from a bipartisan group of lawmakers, including Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.) and Republican Lt. Gov. Peter Kinder. He was introduced by an announcer who asked the audience if they wanted to see “Obama run down by a bull.”
But Stockman dismissed the reaction as "straight out of Alinsky."
"They want to crush dissent by isolating and polarizing anyone who questions Obama, even if it’s a rodeo clown with a harmless gag,” said Stockman. “The idea to create a state of fear and make people afraid to trivialize Obama. No one tried to personally destroy the rodeo clown who wore a George H.W. Bush mask.”
The performer has been permanently banned from performing at the Missouri State Fair, and officials have mandated sensitivity training for future performers. Stockman seized on that mandate in extending his invitation to preform in Texas.
“Disagreeing with speech is one thing. Banning it and ordering citizens into reeducation classes for mocking a liberal leader is another,” Stockman said. “Liberals have targeted this man for personal destruction to create a climate of fear.”
White House spokesman Josh Earnest said earlier Wednesday the flap was "not one of the finer moments" for his home state of Missouri, although said he had not spoken about the incident with the president.
It's not the first time Stockman has looked to seize on controversy. The Texas lawmaker invited Ted Nugent as his guest to the State of the Union after the rocker was criticized for his claim that he would "be dead or in jail" if the president was reelected.

Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/317107-stockman-invites-obama-rodeo-clown-to-perform-in-texas#ixzz2byzaijlX
Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook
revelette

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 03:53 pm
@Thomas,
Why have a president if we are not going to respect the office he or she is occupying?
Rockhead

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 03:55 pm
@gungasnake,
Texas.

where racism is welcomed openly and proud...
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 04:01 pm
@gungasnake,
Quote:
The Texas lawmaker invited Ted Nugent

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ZTfaS1dCfXg/Ufjen2uFiqI/AAAAAAAAHbQ/Yf1JF8tBgQ0/s400/Nugent_Confederate.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 04:24 pm
It is okay to disrespect a president. I have disrespected all of our presidents within memory at one time or other. It's okay to hate Obama's guts if you are so inclined. I just don't want to see racist elements figured in.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 04:35 pm
http://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1186170_1376355599251881_1426509308_n.jpg
izzythepush

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 04:37 pm
@mysteryman,
I never swore a bloody oath. I've not admitted anything.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 04:48 pm
@revelette,
revelette wrote:
Why have a president if we are not going to respect the office he or she is occupying?

The office wasn't being disrespected; the person holding the office was. Speaking for myself, my respect for the office did not change one bit when it passed from George W. Bush, whom I have no respect for at all, to Barack H. Obama, whom I do respect, albeit with qualifications.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 04:57 pm
@Linkat,
Thanks, Linkat.

It sounds like this was more about general ugliness than about race.

Was verbal taunting part of the Bush rodeo incident as well?
Thomas

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 05:02 pm
@boomerang,
I believe that the Bush mask in that event was on a scarecrow or something of that nature. I wouldn't expect much taunting in such a scenario.

I googled Linkat's event. The bulk of the hits came from bloggers who referred to it in the context of the Obama-clown affair. None of them tells us any more facts than Linkat did.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 05:17 pm
The guy who "blew the lid off of this scandal" sounds like a uber-weenie.

What's good for the goose...

If anyone really believes offensive comments weren't made about Bush and other white presidents (e.g. "Where's Lee Harvey Oswald when we need him?") then they are hopelessly locked in an intellectual closet or lying.

Whether or not the clown's antics were racist (and I don't acknowledge they are), racism just isn't the worst crime a person can commit. It's despicable without question but there are far more horrible affronts to humanity.

As much as I can't stand Obama, I'm happy that we've elected a black man president. I couldn't care less about his race except to the extent that his presidency gives lie to the notion that we are a country of racists.

I can't wait for his term to end for a lot of reasons but one of them is that I will not have to endure the hue and cry about racism every time someone criticizes the president.

Unfortunately it looks like Hillary could follow him, in which case I will have to endure every criticism of the president being explained as sexism.

No matter what the clown intended, his antics should be protected free speech. Anyone who wants to censure him should acknowledge this.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 05:19 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
During the Bush administration, I've seen plenty of comedians who parodied the president's narrow, stupid-looking hedgehog eyes and his Texas drawl. Which side of the line did that fall on?

Those aren't racial. You asked where the line is drawn. Judging by the reaction to the event, it's drawn on racial lines. Nobody ever parodied GW Bush for being White (as far as I know).
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 05:35 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
One of those extremely rare instances where I'm mostly in general agreement with you, Finn.
Thomas

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 05:50 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
Those aren't racial. You asked where the line is drawn. Judging by the reaction to the event, it's drawn on racial lines. Nobody ever parodied GW Bush for being White (as far as I know).

In this case, though, the only fact that's been reported is that the Obama clown pursed his lips, and that the audience roared in applause. That by itself is comparable to laughing about Bush's eyes and accent. That the clown's lip-pursing and the audience's applause was racially motivated isn't a fact. It's an interpretation by Mr. Perry Beam, who is cited in the article. He says "everybody screamed", not "everybody screamed the n-word."
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 06:15 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
OK, now admit Genghis Khan was an elightened reformer. Smile
Foofie

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 06:16 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Don't you, when you start calling a white guy a racist for mocking another white guy you've lost the plot.

I know you were in Iraq, I would sooner have gone to prison than get involved in that illegal war.

http://intellectualconservative.com/index.php/no-race-has-a-monopoly

First show some remorse for your country's own sins.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 06:17 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Don't push your luck. Laughing
0 Replies