What are your pet peeves re English usage?

McTag

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 09:46 am
JTT wrote:

As I said, McTag, this door has swung both ways. But I probably don't have to point out that I don't much appreciate those who malign language and the people who use language, especially when these folks doing so know precious little themselves.

I'm not clear that there is much of that maligning going on. I for one, freely accept that usage differs at different place on the globe and in different periods. And in the same person, for different purposes at different times.
I think you're over-reacting.
Quote:

One would think that you'd [generic 'you'] get the message. Yours is an intellectual pursuit that is similar in nature to the study of phrenology, without the research. On what grounds could you possibly think you [generic you] have the right to spread falsehoods about anything.

I/we have spread falshoods? What falsehoods have I spread?

Quote:
Let me get this straight. You're saying, "We pedants can state anything we want without applying to our comments any intellectual rigor". We can do this because we're being lighthearted about it??!!

Straw man. That's not what I said.

Quote:

Let me suggest that you [not the generic you] employ some intellectual rigor, Mr McTag. You [generic you, but you're included] keep making vacuous statements about not only Steven Pinker, but about language as well, with no reasoned arguments at all.

You're entitled to your opinion as to whether any of my statements are vacuous or not, although please do not lose sight of the fact I do not take these exchanges as earnestly or as personally as you evidently do; sometimes there's a bit of kidology there. However I do not feel I have to seek backup from an authority like Pinker each time to bear out truths which I hold to be self-evident. I am perfectly at ease in this language.
I do however, when I read some passages from Pinker, think that he is an academic evidently possessed of a weighty brain but without much grasp of common sense.
Quote:

And you have the temerity to write this nonsense trying to paint me as the bad guy! Your logic grows more skewed with every uttered phrase.

It's not nonsense. And you are a bad guy. You're badder than Mr Bad from Badsville. You're badder then James Brown.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 09:53 am
syntinen wrote:
I agree with Clary that people misusing "literally" can be very funny.

But one thing that does make me seethe with rage is people who make up fake etymologies and launch them on the world - and also the people who insist they must be true because they've "read them somewhere", and won't believe that any decent dictionary could disprove them.

It's bad enough being told that "keeping danger at bay" is about bay leaves, that "dead ringer" is about people being buried alive, and that "pull your finger out" derives from muzzle-loading gunnery (all pure fantasies). But there is a worrying tendency for people to invent offensive origins for phrases. Quite recently it was reported that workers in British public services were sent on courses where they were instructed not to use perfectly innocent words like "picnic" or "nitpicking" as they were "of racist origin".

Who do people do things like this? Grrrr!

Well I agree with that. I wonder where some of that nonsense comes from? This is a danger inherent in the Internet, I feel. At least with a book or periodical, the authors and the editors can be held accountable for the content. Sometimes these awful statements come from misguided PC influence. And that's a whole subject in itself.

Recently I've seen "to tow the line" written instead of "toe" and you could make a logical case for each metaphor, but only one is correct.
0 Replies

Virago

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 11:35 am
Merry Andrew wrote:

Quote:
Virago, my heartiest congratulations on your post to JTT

Thank you, Andrew. I would have said more, but I was concerned about exasperting his nervous condition and fueling his delusions of saving the English speaking world from us original thinkers.

Virago
0 Replies

drummer 411

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 01:53 pm
MiSpElInG LoL. iT iS ReElY uhNOyInG LoL
0 Replies

Valpower

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 07:36 pm
"Try and" (instead of "try to") is threatening to enter the Phrasal Verbs Hall of Shame. I try and not let it irritate me, but it's difficult.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 12:02 am
Valpower wrote:
"Try and" (instead of "try to") is threatening to enter the Phrasal Verbs Hall of Shame. I try and not let it irritate me, but it's difficult.

Well I'm not sure about that. I think both are acceptable nowadays. I think one hears "try and" more often. I prefer "try to" myself, but I think especially verbally I might use either.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 12:03 am
Virago wrote:
Merry Andrew wrote:

Quote:
Virago, my heartiest congratulations on your post to JTT

Thank you, Andrew. I would have said more, but I was concerned about exasperting his nervous condition and fueling his delusions of saving the English speaking world from us original thinkers.

Virago

I doubt it would have mattered if you had said more, Virago, because you didn't say anything that points up how your positions are in any way correct. But I guess one could hold out some hope that that will change.

All you did was stamp your feet and demand your god given right to whine and kvetch about things that you don't know much about. I wondered why Andrew didn't notice that. He's usually more perceptive.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 12:05 am
McTag wrote:
Valpower wrote:

Well I'm not sure about that. I think both are acceptable nowadays. I think one hears "try and" more often. I prefer "try to" myself, but I think especially verbally I might use either.

See, Virago, all is not hopeless. Smile
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 12:13 am
My pet peeve lately is that no one speaks English any more. My neighborhood looks like Tijuana when the real citizens go to work during the weekday. What I can't understand is the willingness to hire illegals for day work.

I don't want them in my yard.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 12:17 am
Valpower wrote:

I agree with Mr McTag. This is a perfectly fine, grammatically correct structure that is used in all dialects of English. It is quite a bit more common in BrE/CdE than AmE and it is a more informal usage, but it is found in all registers from casual speech to academic writing.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 12:19 am
cjhsa wrote:
My pet peeve lately is that no one speaks English any more. My neighborhood looks like Tijuana when the real citizens go to work during the weekday. What I can't understand is the willingness to hire illegals for day work.

I don't want them in my yard.

What a nice xenophobic person you are, cjhsa! You just can't beat that ole melting pot, can you?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 12:37 am
What the heck is that supposed to mean? I should welcome illegal aliens to my neighborhood? What part of "illegal" don't you understand?
0 Replies

Valpower

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 12:43 am
JTT wrote:
Valpower wrote:

I agree with Mr McTag. This is a perfectly fine, grammatically correct structure that is used in all dialects of English. It is quite a bit more common in BrE/CdE than AmE and it is a more informal usage, but it is found in all registers from casual speech to academic writing.

I guess my irritation with it stems partly from its general uselessness as an alternative to "try to." It saves no syllables and adds no needed nuance. In addition, if you wanted to confidently announce that you were going to make an effort and subsequently succeed, your proclamation, "I'll try and succeed," would lose clarity. :wink:
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 02:33 am
cjhsa wrote:
What the heck is that supposed to mean? I should welcome illegal aliens to my neighborhood? What part of "illegal" don't you understand?

Er...what? Suppose Claudia Schiffer moved in next to you. You find out she has no work permit, but you know she's working there. She is an illegal alien. Do your feelings differ in that case?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 03:13 am
cjhsa wrote:

Actually, this, "My pet peeve lately is that no one speaks English any more. My neighborhood looks like Tijuana when the real citizens go to work during the weekday", was the dead giveaway.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 06:01 am
cjhsa can't allow even a language thread to proceed without injecting some jingoistic, xenophobic, ethnically biased remark. Typical. Learn Spanish, dude. You're living in territory that once was Mexican owned and administered.
0 Replies

Virago

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 06:39 am
JTT wrote:
Quote:
I doubt it would have mattered if you had said more, Virago, because you didn't say anything that points up how your positions are in any way correct. But I guess one could hold out some hope that that will change.

All you did was stamp your feet and demand your god given right to whine and kvetch about things that you don't know much about. I wondered why Andrew didn't notice that. He's usually more perceptive

I would have thought that someone of your years would have learned by now to listen before you speak, or at least that when you spoke you would have something to say worth hearing. But I guess one could hold out some hope that that will change. You attack people without cause, JTT. You accused me of being a follower of Lederer and Safire, but now you are angry that I won't ape you.

I stated very clearly why my positions are correct, you are being obtuse. Why don't you turn your computer off for a while and go outside for some air. It will do me a world of good.

Virago
0 Replies

booman2

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 06:06 pm
I just stumbled upon this thread, so I hope I'm not being redundant.

My flesh crawls when I hear a professional speaker misuse the word literally. The next time I hear it, I'm going to literally blow my top. Twisted Evil Well not really, but you get the point.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 10:36 pm
Virago wrote:

You accused me of being a follower of Lederer and Safire, but now you are angry that I won't ape you.

JTT: I'm not angry. Actually, I apologise, Virago. You've convinced me. I'm now ready to admit that you've dreamed up these silly peeves all on your own.

I stated very clearly why my positions are correct, you are being obtuse.

You can state your opinions from now until kingdom come, Virago; I'm afraid that repetition doesn't qualify as proof. You may have been led to believe that's so because you see so many politicians doing it but it simply isn't so.

Why don't you turn your computer off for a while and go outside for some air. It will do me a world of good.

If you need a forum free from critique to advance your peeves, Virago, then I think even you can see just how much merit they have.

Virago
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 10:45 pm
booman2 wrote:
I just stumbled upon this thread, so I hope I'm not being redundant.

My flesh crawls when I hear a professional speaker misuse the word literally. The next time I hear it, I'm going to literally blow my top. Twisted Evil Well not really, but you get the point.

Booman2, it's not at all unusual for language to expand the meaning of certain words. There are, after all, an infinite number of things that can be said and well, nuances abound in language.

It's the genius of the human mind that allows us to capture these tiny nuances. It's a shame when this genius is derided by folks who haven't looked deeply enough at the issues, ... don't you think?

Take a gander at this entry from M-W. It'll help you get a better feel for the nuance.

========================

M-W online:

Main Entry: lit·er·al·ly
Function: adverb
1 : in a literal sense or manner : ACTUALLY <took the remark literally> <was literally insane>

2 : in effect : VIRTUALLY <will literally turn the world upside down to combat cruelty or injustice -- Norman Cousins>

usage Since some people take sense 2 to be the opposite of sense 1, it has been frequently criticized as a misuse. Instead, the use is pure hyperbole intended to gain emphasis, but it often appears in contexts where no additional emphasis is necessary.

=============================
0 Replies