What are your pet peeves re English usage?

goodfielder

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 06:48 am
Thomas wrote:
goodfielder wrote:
I prefer the Australian/British usage. "I couldn't care less" simply means that I can't be bothered to begin to be worried about it. For example, "I couldn't care less who wins the Superbowl if the Rams aren't playing." The American usage doesn't make sense to me.

Steven Pinker, I think in The Language Instinct, suggests that this evolved as a shorthand version of an ironic remark -- "yeah right, as if I could care less." His explanation made sense to me when I read it.

Thanks Thomas that makes sense now.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 06:49 am
kitchenpete wrote:
Clary wrote:
Do readers of this thread say wont, troth and sloth with long o or short? I prefer long. In particular sloth, which historically comes from slow+th and sounds more slothful.

Long O's on those...short one on scone!

See....us Londoners know how to prononciate our words.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 07:02 am
McTag wrote:
Clazza and Pete: when you can say "bath" properly, come back and I'll coach you some more.

OOOOH! I know this one......it sounds like bathe, but without the e, which makes the "th" sound a bit harder. Am I right?

Now you try with "up".......I bet it comes out as oop.

Good old Everton last night by the way.......it made my day.

My favourite prononcification darn sarf :-

Snorbens ........ A small City in Hertfordshire.

Favourite address (a Pub, alas now a Restaurant I believe...and they've changed the name) :-

The Old Cock
Welwyn (pronounced wellin)
Herts.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 07:49 am
Yes, your Lordship

Those Toffees gave the Red Devils a damn good beating!

Pity the Gunners didn't do the same to Chelski...but at least the two best London teams didn't set out to kick pieces out of each other - what Man U (aka "the scum" in conversation among my frieds) seem to do on every possible occasion.

On the subject of pronunciation, don't you find it maddening when foreigners (especially 'Muricans) insist on clearly enunciating the "ham" at the end of: Birmingham, Fulham, etc.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 08:20 am
Yes, well....my old uncle (who never was within 250 miles of the place) objected to the natives calling it "Behmingim"
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 08:42 am
Speaking of Everton etc.,....I reckon it would be great if they could put Moyes and Fergie up for a Celebrity Boxing Match on TV. Now, there's one piece of reality TV that I WOULD watch.

As a lifelong Gooner, I was a bit disappointed last night, but hey ho...Chelski have got it anyway, so I'll just wait for the FA Cup Final now.

The "Ham" thing is quite funny, isnt it. And yes, I have actually had someone ask me the way to Lie Sesster Square. Bless !
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 08:46 am
Don't paint all 'Murricans with the same broad brush, Pete. It may be true for the Midwesterners or New Yorkers, but here in New England we have cities with names like Worcester, Gloucester, Dedham, Needham, Greenwich, etc, etc. No proper Bostonian would put the 'ham' in Dedam or the 'ces' in Wuster or Glaster. And ain't nuttin' green about Grenitch.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 08:52 am
Hey - Lord Ellpus of Highbury! Smile

I've got a 3rd share of a season ticket in the North Bank Lower!

"We're the North Bank, We're the North Bank, We're the North Bank Highbury!" Laughing

KP
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 09:19 am
You poor twisted boys.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 10:26 am
BY the Way Fergie (see above, Lord E's post) will be at the Four Seasons the same night as us, perhaps even eating in the same restaurant. Come along, Lord!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 10:27 am
Quote:
It may be true for the Midwesterners or New Yorkers, but here in New England we have cities with names like Worcester, Gloucester, Dedham, Needham, Greenwich, etc, etc. No proper Bostonian would put the 'ham' in Dedam or the 'ces' in Wuster or Glaster. And ain't nuttin' green about Grenitch.

even them Noo Yawkahs know how to say Grennitch & Howstun...
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 11:35 am
Yah, they get Grenitch right but the Tejanos would argue re: Houston.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 11:49 am
Oh my god, Steve, did you hear that?

Srrralex will be there! We are not worthy! (says Steve, not McT)
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 11:54 am
What's a skipped page between friends?

Houston, now: I come from near Houston, in Renfrewshire, Scotland. I know how to pronounce it.

Why did the Texans decide to call it Hugh-ston?

Must be something to do with Mr Webster deliberately changing spellings, I suppose.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 12:26 pm
Clary wrote:
BY the Way Fergie (see above, Lord E's post) will be at the Four Seasons the same night as us, perhaps even eating in the same restaurant. Come along, Lord!

I'm sorry, but I wont be able to make it. I did email Ciccerone and tell him when I gave him all the blurb on Malta.
We have a friend who is having his 50th birthday party on that day (oop North) and we decided to make a long weekend of it, as we havent seen him in ages.
I asked C.I. to pass on my best wishes, and hereby give my full permission for everyone to get squiffy and make complete and utter fools of themselves, as I will be doing the same, but about 100 miles north of you.
Do they have electricity up there by the way? Or should I take my "wet" razor, just in case?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 12:33 pm
Yeah, typical innit, anywhere north of Watford is "oop north" to Londoners. Very Happy

They might have electricity if there's a stream nearby with a waterwheel.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 12:42 pm
Last time I was up north, they made electricity with hamsters. (Remember when A2K was down? Exactly those days I've been there.)

Might well be, they'll try that a second time (to get electricity, I mean).
(Although, since all the eloquate A2K'ers aren't online but meeting, it wouldn't really matter.)
0 Replies

Virago

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 01:17 pm
Quote:
JTT wrote: It's precisely because I do care, Clary that I don't allow these language bigots to spread falsehoods about how language works.

At first I thought you were just argumentative. I'm beginning to think you're ridiculous. Let me say right away that a "pet peeve" is a minor complaint, not a tragedy. Let's not get all worked up, okay?

Quote:
Virago:
One thing I cannot stand to hear is someone using "rech" (pronounced the same as wretch) for the past tense of reach. "I rech for the jar."
The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language:

" ... English is a global language with something like 400 million native speakers pronouncing the language in many different ways: pronunciation differs across the world more than any other aspect of language."

Very true, but irrelevant. Obviously, I am not referring to colloquialisms or accents. Rech is not the past tense of reach. Look it up.

Quote:
Virago:
Another thing I don't like to hear is temperature in place of fever. "I'm feeling sick. I think I have a temperature." Well, I should hope that you have a temperature. Perhaps you also have a fever!

JTT: I think you've been reading too much Richard Lederer, Bill Safire, or some of the other language entertainers, Virago. They write some cute books and columns about language but they are sorely lacking in substance.

Well, thank you for your warm and fuzzy opinion on what I read, JTT, but I've never read those fellows. In case it eluded you, these are my pet peeves. They don't need to be yours, and they are not up for debate! I'm not proving a theory here; I'm stating the fact that when I hear or see these things it bugs me. It doesn't have to bug you.

Quote:
Virago:
This one is a bit nit picky, but I prefer not to hear the phrase "Have your cake and eat it too." This is supposed to mean having it both ways or having it all! To have your cake and eat it is no big deal. People do it all the time. Try eating your cake and having it too. Now that's having it all.

JTT: This is nit-picky and pedantic, too. Why? Because you know full well what the meaning is. Idioms and language have their own logic. Clearly the 'have' refers to a time after the cake has been consumed. It does not refer to the time before the cake has been eaten.

Yes, I do know full well what the meaning is. If I didn't know what it was supposed to mean, I wouldn't notice when it is recited backwards. Did you call me pedantic? Laughing

Quote:
Virago:
This one really bugs me. "I could care less." This implies that you do care some. If you could care less then you do care a little bit. It should read "I couldn't care less."

JTT: Both are correct, Virago, and both mean, more or less, the same thing. While this might seem odd at first blush, you have to remember that language says what people intend, not what some wag believes.

No, both are not correct, JTT, nor do they mean the same thing. Could and couldn't are opposites, sweetie. Language says what people intend? This would be why there are no misunderstandings. But, let's not digress

Quote:
Paul Brians is out to lunch on his analysis. In point of fact, it is no analysis at all. "I could care less" is perfectly grammatical and it has full meaning within language. There's nothing more that's required.

Since a good portion of what you wrote just prior to this statement is off topic, (check the thread title if you are unsure of the topic) I will only quote this part and agree that "I could care less" is indeed perfectly grammatical and does have full meaning within the language. However, it doesn't mean what you think it means. Apparently, so much more is required.

Quote:
Virago:
And finally, my biggest peeve, the overuse of the word "literally". People incorrectly use "literally" when they are trying to impress upon you the degree to which they are affected by something. Literal means that something is exactly as stated. So, when someone says to me "It literally made my skin crawl" or "My eyes literally popped out of my head" I get a mental picture that I just don't want to have.

JTT: Virago, as you may have gathered by now, when we look into pet peeves, we often find that they have no substance themselves. Once again, you have to remember that language is determined by the people who use it.

Any word can acquire a new nuance, even a different meaning. When we check a dictionary, in this case, M-W online, we see that 'literally' is being used perfectly.

I'm one of the people using the language, JTT, and I've determined that I prefer not to hear about someone's eyes literally popping from their sockets. Once again, these are my complaints, and I see them as light-hearted. They don't have to be yours.

Quote:
Next time, you hear or read some wag's comments on language, don't just swallow the tripe, hook, line and sinker, think about it a bit.

I know you will be horribly disappointed, since you seem to have based your entire critique on the assumption that I'm parroting someone else's opinion, but my thoughts are my own and have not been borrowed. JTT, as you may have gathered by now, I know tripe when I see it.

Virago
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 02:47 pm
McTag wrote:
Yeah, typical innit, anywhere north of Watford is "oop north" to Londoners. Very Happy

They might have electricity if there's a stream nearby with a waterwheel.

I'll take the Gillette just in case he's not near water. So many things to pack, so little time.

1. Passport.
2. Phrase book.
3. Clogs.
4. Whippet.
5. Decent beer.
6. Candles.
7. Visa.
8. Compass, whistle and Mars Bar.
9. Arsenal Poster.
10. Beads and trinkets (for bartering).

The list is endless.........
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 03:23 pm
Virago, my heartiest congratulations on your post to JTT. What amuses hell out of me that he is the most pedantic of pedants on this thread, yet instists on calling anyone who disagrees with him a pedant. And for someone who always falls back on Steven Pinker, I suppose it's natural for him to suppose that we, too, take our cues from the likes of William Safire, Richard Lederer or Barbara Wallraff.
0 Replies