What are your pet peeves re English usage?

Clary

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 12:37 am
Obviously JTT couldn't care more.
I could care less, because it seems as if a completely cockeyed phrase is gaining ground because nobody is thinking what it means. Lord Ellpus has summed it up in exemplary fashion, as is his wont (and that isn't won't).

Do readers of this thread say wont, troth and sloth with long o or short? I prefer long. In particular sloth, which historically comes from slow+th and sounds more slothful.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 12:56 am
Personally I say Sloth with a long O, but scone with a short one.
Does this help?

I also know a South African who has a grudge.
He keeps his car in it.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 03:08 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
JTT writes: "And what's your point, McTag? In AmE, people don't use bonnet or petrol or many of the other words that BrE uses. That doesn't make those BrE words wrong."

What has this got to do with the price of fish?

Petrol and Bonnet are just simply names given to things, and it is not surprising that these differ around the world.

The expression "I could care less" implies that a person does NOT find the subject in question at the bottom of his/her list of things to care about.

However, "I couldnt care less" implies that it IS at the bottom of that list.

What dont you understand?

JTT: Their relative positions on the "I don't care" list have nothing at all to do with this issue, Mr Ellpus. Both are grammatical, both are English idioms, both are correct, both are in full use and both are completely understandable.

These are the only issues that have any bearing on the two phrases.

Mr Ellpus:
I have never heard an English person say "I could care less", unless they are using sarcasm, and even then it is extremely rare.

JTT: That clearly illustrates that the phrase has found A use in BrE, ergo, it is part of BrE, albeit, not a big part.

Lord Ellpus wrote:
Oh, by the way JTT, when I next hear someone saying "I couldn't care less", I will put them right and use Google as my point of reference.

I will also tell everyone I know that all food should only be cooked using McDonalds and KFC recipes.

JTT: Let me help you to get your knickers untwisted, Mr Ellpus. Perhaps you mistakenly believe that I'm stating one form is better than the other, that BrE should adopt AmE patterns. Is this what you mean by the reference to McDonalds & KFC?

Well, I assure you Sir, that if this is your belief, you are mistaken. BrE is BrE; any changes that do occur because of the influences of AmE will come no matter what anyone says and vice versa. Such is the way of language change.

0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 03:19 am
goodfielder wrote:
I prefer the Australian/British usage. "I couldn't care less" simply means that I can't be bothered to begin to be worried about it. For example, "I couldn't care less who wins the Superbowl if the Rams aren't playing." The American usage doesn't make sense to me.

Steven Pinker, I think in The Language Instinct, suggests that this evolved as a shorthand version of an ironic remark -- "yeah right, as if I could care less." His explanation made sense to me when I read it.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 03:28 am
Quote:
Clary: Obviously JTT couldn't care more.
I could care less, because it seems as if a completely cockeyed phrase is gaining ground because nobody is thinking what it means. Lord Ellpus has summed it up in exemplary fashion, as is his wont (and that isn't won't).

It's precisely because I do care, Clary that I don't allow these language bigots to spread falsehoods about how language works. Bigotry normally thrives where ignorance lives. Once you've heard the truth, you can, of course, choose to remain ignorant, if that is your wont.

CGEL: For many American speakers the expression "I couldn't care less" has lost its negation and the expression is now "I could care less", still with the idiomatic meaning "I do not care at all". For these speakers, "care less" is no longer an NPI {negatively-oriented polarity-sensitive item]; "could care less" has become an idiom with a negative meaning (approximately the opposite of its literal meaning)

This is not an uncommon development; it is seen again in the development from "I don't know beans about it" --> "I don't know anything about it" to "I know beans about it" with the same meaning.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 03:37 am
Attacking the language mavens on the 'could care less' topic in a 1994 New Republic article, Steven Pinker wrote:
A tin ear for stress and melody, and an obliviousness to the principles of discourse and rhetoric, are important tools of the trade for the language maven. Consider an alleged atrocity committed by today's youth: the expression [I could care less]. The teenagers are trying to express disdain, the adults note, in which case they should be saying [I couldn't care less]. If they could care less than they do, that means that they really do care, the opposite of what they are trying to say. But if these dudes would stop ragging on teenagers and scope out the construction, they would see that their argument is bogus. Listen to how the two versions are pronounced: [...] The melodies and stresses are completely different, and for a good reason. The second version is not illogical, it's [sarcastic]. The point of sarcasm is that by making an assertion that is manifestly false or accompanied by ostentatiously mannered intonation, one deliberately implies its opposite. A good paraphrase is, "Oh yeah, as if there were something in the world that I care less about."

Source
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 03:43 am
JTT wrote:
Clary wrote:
Obviously JTT couldn't care more.
quote]

It's precisely because I do care, Clary that I don't allow these language bigots to spread falsehoods about how language works. Bigotry normally thrives where ignorance lives. Once you've heard the truth, you can, of course, choose to remain ignorant, if that is your wont.

CGEL: For many American speakers the expression "I couldn't care less" has lost its negation and the expression is now "I could care less", still with the idiomatic meaning "I do not care at all". For these speakers, "care less" is no longer an NPI {negatively-oriented polarity-sensitive item]; "could care less" has become an idiom with a negative meaning (approximately the opposite of its literal meaning)

<b>This is not an uncommon development</b>; it is seen again in the development from "I don't know beans about it" --> "I don't know anything about it" to "I know beans about it" with the same meaning.

<Ellpus backs away quietly, with fixed smile and slight nod of head>
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 04:09 am
JTT wrote: It's precisely because I do care, Clary that I don't allow these language bigots to spread falsehoods about how language works.
Exactly. You couldn't care more. You could, indeed, care less.
And what's more, bigots spreading falsehoods and ignorance about meanings causes this thread to exist. We're doing our little bit to enlighten rather than obfuscate, clarify rather than subvert.

Lord E, why aren't you coming to the Big Meet in London on 30 April with the other Brits? Your erudition and retreat on confrontation would be honoured.
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1292107#1292107
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 04:10 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:

See Clary, you too can be saved. Go and sin no more child! Smile

There's hope for ole McTag too.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 05:13 am
JTT wrote:
Lord Ellpus wrote:

See Clary, you too can be saved. Go and sin no more child! Smile

There's hope for ole McTag too.

When anyone starts quoting Stephen Pincker, I reach for my revolver.

"...Ich entsichere meinen Browning", I believe was the origin for that.

This is not to attack Thomas, whom I hope will be my friend, but only to say I think a lot of what Pincker writes has little relevance to anything useful (or interesting to me). Also, some of Pincker quoted here and previously by JTT seems to be totally bonkers.

I write of course from a standpoint of deplorable ignorance :wink:
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 05:18 am
McTag wrote:
"...Ich entsichere meinen Browning", I believe was the origin for that.

It is always nice to see the legacy of Heinrich Göring held in such high esteem in the country he did so much to bomb. Smile
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 05:24 am
Hermann?

Embarrassed Smile :wink:

Luckily he didn't get as far as my parents' house. Otherwise I wouldn't be here to disagree with rotweiler JTT, the Goebbels of Grammar. Very Happy
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 05:27 am
You're right, it was "Hermann" For some reason I keep confusing Göring and Himmler.

Oh, and "sloth", "wont", and "troth" definitely short.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 05:34 am
I pronounce 'wont' with a long o, but 'sloth' and 'troth' stay sort. (In case someone's doing a survey. Smile)
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 05:40 am
Quote:
McTag

Finally, finally we concur, McTag. [double wink]
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 05:54 am
JTT wrote:
Quote:
McTag

Finally, finally we concur, McTag. [double wink]

Ahaah! Gotcha!!

Why am I not surprised that comment came back in that way?
You seem to have mastered the language pretty well, apart from a few rough edges here and there, but apparently you haven't grasped irony yet.

Winkety wonkie woo
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 06:00 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
I pronounce 'wont' with a long o, but 'sloth' and 'troth' stay sort. (In case someone's doing a survey. Smile)

I say 'em the same way as Andrew. Definitely for "slothful", the "o" is short where I come from.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 06:03 am
McTag wrote:
Merry Andrew wrote:
'sloth' and 'troth' stay sort. (In case someone's doing a survey. Smile)

I say 'em the same way as Andrew. Definitely for "slothful", the "o" is short where I come from.

Lamentably ignorant. Slow, slow, quick, quick, sloth.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 06:25 am
Clary wrote:
Do readers of this thread say wont, troth and sloth with long o or short? I prefer long. In particular sloth, which historically comes from slow+th and sounds more slothful.

Long O's on those...short one on scone!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 06:42 am
Clazza and Pete: when you can say "bath" properly, come back and I'll coach you some more.
0 Replies