What are your pet peeves re English usage?

McTag

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 09:46 am
Ay Sontespli wrote:
Right. A question.
What do you think about people saying,
"You did good."

I always thought it correct to say,
"You did well."

Your thoughts?

"You did good" and "You did well" are both correct, but they have different meanings.

For the most common meaning, where you wish to compliment someone on their performance, it should be "you did well".
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 09:55 am
JTT wrote:
McTag wrote:
This may surprise you not at all, but I don't agree it's a good point.

The kind of typeface shown by A2K on your screen is a world apart, style-wise, from a printed page with a formal font.

I have rejected documents typed with only one space after full stops, and required them to be revised, because to me it looks bad. And quite obvious too, although I agree with Clary that it's not so obvious when reading computer-script on the screen.

I rest my case. Just what is it that makes some so anal retentive, especially when it comes to language? These folks probably aren't near as diligent when it comes to the Ten Commandments. Laughing

That is quite correct, about the Ten Commandments. But diligence is its own reward. Two spaces looks better to me. I've tried both kinds, and I prefer that.

Quote:

McTag:
The kind of typeface shown by A2K on your screen is a world apart, style-wise, from a printed page with a formal font.

"The view at CMS [Chicago Manual of Style] is that there is no reason for two spaces after a period in published work."

The day I defer to Chicago about anything is the day a snowball freezes over in hell.
About machine-gunning people in cold blood they know, or perhaps about polluting large lakes. For most other things, I'd tend to go elsewhere.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 04:56 pm
A snowball is already frozen over. It would have to either be water freezing over, or snow not melting very quickly in hell to be impressive. Smile
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 11:28 pm
M-W online:

Main Entry: good
Function: adverb

usage Adverbial good has been under attack from the schoolroom since the 19th century. Insistence on well rather than good has resulted in a split in connotation: well is standard, neutral, and colorless, while good is emotionally charged and emphatic. This makes good the adverb of choice in sports <"I'm seeing the ball real good" is what you hear -- Roger Angell>. In such contexts as <listen up. And listen good -- Alex Karras> <lets fly with his tomatoes before they can flee. He gets Clarence good -- Charles Dickinson> good cannot be adequately replaced by well. Adverbial good is primarily a spoken form; in writing it occurs in reported and fictional speech and in generally familiar or informal contexts.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 12:25 am
JTT wrote:
M-W online:

usage Adverbial good has been under attack from the schoolroom since the 19th century. Insistence on well rather than good has resulted in a split in connotation: well is standard, neutral, and colorless, while good is emotionally charged and emphatic. This makes good the adverb of choice in sports <"I'm seeing the ball real good" is what you hear -- Roger Angell>. In such contexts as <listen up. And listen good -- Alex Karras> <lets fly with his tomatoes before they can flee. He gets Clarence good -- Charles Dickinson> good cannot be adequately replaced by well. Adverbial good is primarily a spoken form; in writing it occurs in reported and fictional speech and in generally familiar or informal contexts.

That is interesting, but it reads to me like madness. "Good" has not taken over from "well" in the same way here as it has in America.
It is not my intention here to make this a GB vs USA thread, but indeed we sometimes seem like "two nations divided by a common language".

I wonder what Clary thinks.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 12:32 am
SCoates wrote:
A snowball is already frozen over. It would have to either be water freezing over, or snow not melting very quickly in hell to be impressive. Smile

I sometimes write with imprecision (as others have pointed out), but usually with humorous intent (which is not always recognised).

Here, I deliberately mixed two well-known phrases; "not a snowball's chance in hell" and "when hell freezes over".

A snowball has to be slightly unfrozen (by the pressure of the maker's hands) to be compacted and thereafter may remain partially unfrozen or may re-freeze, dependent upon the ambient temperature, I think. :wink:
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 12:44 am
Mornin' McTag...may I suggest The Horse and Jocky? :wink:
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 01:07 am
Nice one....I'll speak to Packy (my social secretary and icebreaker) and get back on a PM.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 01:17 am
after the honeymoon/wedding stuff...
0 Replies

Ay Sontespli

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 01:29 am
Thanks for your thoughts on well/good.
It drives me crazy when I hear, "He did good".
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 12:12 pm
JTT wrote:
M-W online:

Well, I am 100% American, and the use of "good" sounds horrible in each instance, save that of Dickinson, where I feel he has some license.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 01:15 pm
As for "good" and "well".

In Western PA in the '40's and '50's a common accolade for a child's successful performance on or off the stage was, "Ya done good."
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 03:22 pm
Some of our sports commentators (not the anchors, the ex-players) use this construct too

"The boy done good"

"The team done great"

but as far as I know it has not yet got into our grammar books as an acceptable alternative to the more orthodox style.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 03:25 pm
McTag, when I was in Greece, I heard a pope speak in an orthodox style :wink:
0 Replies

Ay Sontespli

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 03:38 pm
McTag wrote:
Some of our sports commentators (not the anchors, the ex-players) use this construct too

"The boy done good"

"The team done great"

but as far as I know it has not yet got into our grammar books as an acceptable alternative to the more orthodox style.

Both of those statements make me grit my teeth! And begs the question, just where were you educated, mate?
Sadly it is acceptable these days. Modern slang? Whatever it is, I do not like it. Wink
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 05:25 pm
You ever hear rap? LOL
0 Replies

Ay Sontespli

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 06:26 pm
lol
ah yes, the wonderful world of rap Wink
small wonder our language is taking the downturn it is Razz
another thing i find myself guilty of since the dawn of MY new found computer age is that I do not write half as well as I used to! I tend to now write exactly what I think.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 06:31 pm
that's one of the benefits of old age; we just don't give a shet any more. LOL
0 Replies

Ay Sontespli

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 06:37 pm
ahem....you calling me old ????
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 06:55 pm
Never fear; you'll get there sooner or later... "old" is a relative thing; youngsters think 18 is old.
0 Replies