What are your pet peeves re English usage?

SCoates

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 02:11 pm
Wow, everyone turned into friends. It's like the end of that Care Bear movie. You know the one I'm talking about.

Now, something Stuh and me (horror) were talking about. Supposedly the rule that two spaces should follow a period has been changed, and now one space is considered more appropriate. I for one am stuck in my two spaces ways, and don't mind being docked on my English papers (I'm still in college) in standing up for something in which I believe (I'd rather say "I believe in"). A2K automatically removes the second space, but I still naturally put them in. Anyone else in the same boat?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 02:37 pm
I think the point about the "hot water heater" peeve is that it's actually a water heater- which produces hot water. It will also heat hot water, of course.

Where's Duce? We may never know the answer to these questions.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 02:44 pm
SCoates wrote:
Wow, everyone turned into friends. It's like the end of that Care Bear movie. You know the one I'm talking about.

Now, something Stuh and me (horror) were talking about. Supposedly the rule that two spaces should follow a period has been changed, and now one space is considered more appropriate. I for one am stuck in my two spaces ways, and don't mind being docked on my English papers (I'm still in college) in standing up for something in which I believe (I'd rather say "I believe in"). A2K automatically removes the second space, but I still naturally put them in. Anyone else in the same boat?

I'm a two spaces person. I think it looks much better. I didn't know A2K did that.....how dare it.

Anyway, how can they dock you marks in English papers for typing style? That's a new one on me.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 02:54 pm
McTag, I had a computer teacher who required an essay using the computer. He announced in advance that mechanics would not be a factor in evaluation. Soooo, I flew through the essay. ( I touch type). The content was good, (I know when something I have written is good) but he shot me down for not having two spaces after a period. I often think some teachers/professors get carried away with their control.

Another factor involving commas and periods. Publishers like to save space when printing, so they request that double spaces be eliminated. That, of course, is a money thing.

I still proclaim my right to say that "very unique" is redundant. Razz
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 03:10 pm
Letty, My writing was never that good, so it didn't matter whether I used one or two spaces after the period. The benefit for me is I don't get upset at past grades. LOL
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 03:23 pm
C.I. Didn't you just see that Piffka remarked that you had a marvelous turn of phrase?

I once told Walter and Soz that grammar is the most boring thing that I have ever dealt with. Usage is something different. Barbarisms don't sound palatable to the ear. (sorry for the hashed metaphor) and as for mechanics, they are used for clarification.

I will never forget Menken's observation about the sound of language. He cited "cellar door" as one such phrase. If one doesn't know the meaning, the sound becomes the main focus. Now spelling, well that's another issue.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 12:12 am
I came across something interesting yesterday.

"Everyone" is considered a singular noun. For example, you would say "Everyone is here," not "Everyone are here."

However, that creates a problem since, in fact, "everyone" is NOT singular.

For instance, everyone can be in several places, which might bring up the question, "in which places is everyone." That sounds wrong (at least to everyone I know), but it follows the same rule.

Should I say "In which places are everyone"? Obviously I have the option of rewording the question, which seems the best solution, but it still appears to be a flaw in the language, since it's categorized as a singular noun, but obviously functions as a plural.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 04:04 am
I think it functions as a collective noun like "herd".

If you want to talk about the locations of individual beasts, then you wouldn't talk of "the herd". Same, so it seems to me, with "everyone".
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 06:46 am
SCoates wrote:
I came across something interesting yesterday.

"Everyone" is considered a singular noun. For example, you would say "Everyone is here," not "Everyone are here."

However, that creates a problem since, in fact, "everyone" is NOT singular.

For instance, everyone can be in several places, which might bring up the question, "in which places is everyone." That sounds wrong (at least to everyone I know), but it follows the same rule.

Should I say "In which places are everyone"? Obviously I have the option of rewording the question, which seems the best solution, but it still appears to be a flaw in the language, since it's categorized as a singular noun, but obviously functions as a plural

The best solution is to re-word (reword?) the question because the answer becomes just as difficult. "In which places are everyone?" Answer: Everyone is in his place. Oops. What about us grils?* Okay. Everyone is in his or her place. Yeah. Better but longer, and not really how we wanted to sound. So: Everyone is in their place. hmmm That would seem to violate the single/plural agreement Agreement which I know I must have signed at some time. So, what to do? Invoke the Duke Ellington rule. To wit: if it sounds good, it is good.

Joe( See note from the wall)Nation

*note:Written on a wall
I hate grils.That's girls, stupid.
What about us grils?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 09:19 pm
Letty wrote:
C.I. Didn't you just see that Piffka remarked that you had a marvelous turn of phrase?

errrr... I would have but Noddy beat me to it. Wink

CI is a remarkable gentleman for many reasons... for example, he sent me a postcard from Antarctica and I would never have thought the postage would be so much. Now, I owe him a beer sometime, somewhere.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 09:28 pm
Well, thank you, Pifka. But you don't owe me anything; entirely my pleasure. Wink
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 09:50 pm
CI, I love postcards and was very pleased to receive it. It's on the frig right now (an apt spot for a card from such a cold climate). Thanks a lot!

Still.... I hope to meet you sometime and will gladly purchase liquid refreshments, hot or cold.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 02:50 am
SCoates wrote:
I for one am stuck in my two spaces ways, and don't mind being docked on my English papers (I'm still in college) in standing up for something in which I believe (I'd rather say "I believe in"). A2K automatically removes the second space, but I still naturally put them in. Anyone else in the same boat?

I had to go through every chapter of my recent guide to Hong Kong
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?dest=9999999997&product_id=2618506&sourceid=1500000000000001827190
editing two spaces into one. Infuriating. It looks worse, too. I didn't realise A2K was editing them out. I still do them. So there. Ner.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 07:47 am
Clary wrote:
SCoates wrote:
I for one am stuck in my two spaces ways, and don't mind being docked on my English papers (I'm still in college) in standing up for something in which I believe (I'd rather say "I believe in"). A2K automatically removes the second space, but I still naturally put them in. Anyone else in the same boat?

I had to go through every chapter of my recent guide to Hong Kong
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?dest=9999999997&product_id=2618506&sourceid=1500000000000001827190
editing two spaces into one. Infuriating. It looks worse, too. I didn't realise A2K was editing them out. I still do them. So there. Ner.

Am I missing something here? This has got to be serious tongue in cheek? Tell me it is, please. Clary says "it looks worse" BUT she "didn't realize A2K was editing them out". Confused Seriously Confused !!

See Rufio, Steven Pinker was dead on. These lunacies are driven by the same type of mind set as those which perpetuate ritual genital mutilation.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 11:20 am
He does have a good point Clary. Smile

Actually, though, A2K edits the entire paragraph format --initial indentation, and the two spaces after a period, which are all a paragraph has to visually give its identity. And paragraphs do look nice.

I used to always indent for each paragraph, and it took me a while to realize it wasn't making it to my posts.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 12:20 pm
This may surprise you not at all, but I don't agree it's a good point.

The kind of typeface shown by A2K on your screen is a world apart, style-wise, from a printed page with a formal font.

I have rejected documents typed with only one space after full stops, and required them to be revised, because to me it looks bad. And quite obvious too, although I agree with Clary that it's not so obvious when reading computer-script on the screen.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 01:25 pm
Oh, I agree McTag, I meant it was a good humorous point. Which is why I started the next sentence "Actually..."
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 02:17 pm
I like the two spaces - like paragraphs it makes for ease of reading.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 06:16 am
McTag wrote:
This may surprise you not at all, but I don't agree it's a good point.

The kind of typeface shown by A2K on your screen is a world apart, style-wise, from a printed page with a formal font.

I have rejected documents typed with only one space after full stops, and required them to be revised, because to me it looks bad. And quite obvious too, although I agree with Clary that it's not so obvious when reading computer-script on the screen.
0 Replies

Ay Sontespli

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 07:02 am
Right. A question.
What do you think about people saying,
"You did good."

I always thought it correct to say,
"You did well."

Your thoughts?
0 Replies