What are your pet peeves re English usage?

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 05:33 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

JTT wrote:
David isn't stupid but on this issue of spelling reform, he hasn't pointed out anything at all resembling logic so that makes him appear to be very stupid when it's really just ignorance.

A very fine distinction.
Ordinarily, I 'd be curious enuf to ask:
"ignorant" of WHAT?"
but my fairly extensive interchanges with JTT
have led me to conclude that he is hopelessly unable to reason; --
indeed, he has rejected logic itself.

Therefore, I keep him down in the dungeon of IGNOREance.

David
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 05:56 pm
@TNTABC123,
TNTABC123 wrote:
P.S. don't worry Setanta, the irony of your post in not lost on me, you complain about me saying people pronounce stuff differently to me, then say Queens speak funny.

Yeah, you completely missed the irony, in exactly the same way that you missed the tongue-in-cheek nature of my post to which you originally responded (more than five years after the fact). As it happens, i am a native of the Bronx, and to complain about how people from Queens, Manhattan, Brooklyn or Richmond speak is a bit of ironic humor about native Yankees (i.e., New Yorkers).

Now you've done it again. What possible cruelty or insensitivity leads you to suggest that homosexual men who dress up in women's clothing speak funny? You are, it appears, an essentially cruel person.
solipsister

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 09:22 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
stokes

i'm stoked

JTT is the most cogent person on this thread and i hold him closely in

high esteem
JTT

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 09:36 pm
@solipsister,
Very Happy

A Freudian slip, maybe.

I wanna go bodyboardin'!!!!!
JTT

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 09:38 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
A very fine distinction.

Well, thank you, Joe.
0 Replies

solipsister

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 09:49 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
bodyboardin'!!!!!

i should stand up for myself in the higher steaming surf
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 08:03 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
What possible cruelty or insensitivity leads you to suggest that homosexual men who dress up in women's clothing speak funny?

I didn't know that homosexual men dress up in women's clothing but I will accept that Set knows more about such matters than I do.

This new knowledge has made me wonder why the whys and wherefores of this delicate custom were not debated on the Prop 8 thread. Whether it would, for example, inspire an amusing distraction allieviating the weary suffering of the daily grind or a sad meditation on property price slumps to have a steel-erector foreman and a mortuary attendant as neighbours who wear women's clothes, which is not illegal due to the legislation being beyond the wit and ingenuity of even the wisest body attending to the higher councils of State, as a matter of course and have a washing line reflecting their maturity and taste which attracts all the BWs (Bloomer's Watchers) in the district to have a peep through the holes in the fence from which knots had fallen out due to weathering, I cannot myself determine.

But I must congratulate Set on using the corect term for homosexual men and not falling in with the crowd who have acquiesed so cavalierly to another, three-letter, word being used in its place on being led by the nose to do so by our Media corporations which can be presumed to be sympathetic to this usage, despite its severe deleteriousness to our sacred tongue which all the world will speak in the future and which will be non plussed at how a word denoting galivanting from court to court on a See-The-World tour of the manners of provincial ladies, in a carefree and careful style, be confounded with homosexual men. So non-plussed that there might be seats of the higher learning at some point in the near future sifting the evidence in disputatious and vexatious debate on the matter.

That is my Pet Peeve if you can imagine having a bear with a sore head for a pet.

But Set has me on ignore so I would be grateful if one of you others will pass on my congratulations to him with my apologies for his sorrow at his being unable to receive them at first hand.
Francis

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 08:13 am
Spendi wrote:
I didn't know that homosexual men dress up in women's clothing

Some of them do. They speak funny too.

I and some others call them "queens" even though they are not all from this particular borough in NYC...

(This is an aside, for those who hadn't their attention focused on such frivolous matters).
JTT

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 08:22 am
@Francis,
Quote:
I and some others call them "queens" even though they are not all from this particular borough in NYC...

Are people from Queens called 'queens', Francis?
Francis

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 08:26 am
@JTT,
That's a good question, I guess, and I see the implied illogicality.

I would call them "Queeners"..

But it was just an atempt to be jocous.
JTT

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 08:46 am
@Francis,
I knew that you were just being jocular, Francis. Though my question was tongue in cheek, it was a real question. I don't know what they're called.
spendius

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 09:13 am
@JTT,
Sardines maybe.
0 Replies

solipsister

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 06:16 am
@spendius,
Quote:
acquiesed

k so yer got one wrong

peevish
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 01:41 am

Why do Americans use "hero" and "actor" to describe actresses and heroines?

Putting that another way, why don't Americans stop ******* about with the language?
McTag

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 01:45 am

There's a new TV series on here at the moment, "Garrow's Law" about legal shenanigans in the 18th Century.

It's spoilt for me by the frequent use of the word "hung", in the context of capital punishment.

I was taught that a picure may be hung, but a man can only be hanged.
aidan

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 02:01 am
@McTag,
Which Americans?

I'm American and I use the words 'actress' and 'heroine' .

In fact, I'm trying to think of an y Americans I know who would be prone to say something like, 'She's the actor who's in Thirty Rock' instead of 'She's the actress who's in Thirty Rock' or 'Helen Keller is my hero' instead of 'Helen Keller is my heroine'.

Quote:

Putting that another way, why don't Americans stop ******* about with the language?

That's a little harsh - I think it has more to do with youth than nationality. Picture anyone under the age of thirty using the word hero or heroine at all - they'd be more likely to say - 'S/he's fly' or 's/he's a legend' something like that.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 02:06 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

There's a new TV series on here at the moment, "Garrow's Law" about legal shenanigans in the 18th Century.

It's spoilt for me by the frequent use of the word "hung", in the context of capital punishment.

I was taught that a picure may be hung, but a man can only be hanged.
That is true, as of now, and thru the 1900s.
It woud be interesting to know what the state of grammar
was in that respect, as of the time in question.

David
Francis

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 02:08 am
Quote:

Yeah, as Tina Turner says: we don't need another hero..
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 02:08 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Lemme get this straight: u demand that we be quiet while ******* ?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 02:10 am

Was that in the Treaty of Paris (1783)?

(trying to remember)