What are your pet peeves re English usage?

aidan

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 02:11 am
@Francis,
Quote:

Yeah, as Tina Turner says: we don't need another hero..

Which would be correct, because she most probably was talking about a male- in fact she was - Mad Maxx .
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 02:11 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

That is true, as of now, and thru the 1900s.
It woud be interesting to know what the state of grammar
was in that respect, as of the time in question.

David
[/quote]

Quote:
hang, v. [hang, hāng]
-This verb has an unusual history to it. Middle English hangen 'hang' (circa 1130 CE) was a fusion of two Old English words from around 1000 CE: hon 'suspend' (transitive verb, past tense heng) and hangian, hongian 'be suspended' (intransitive verb, past tense hangode). It was also influenced by Old Norse hengja 'suspend' and hanga 'be suspended.' Hon is corresponds to Old Frisian hua 'suspend or hang,' Old Saxon, Old High German, and Gothic hahan, Middle Low German han, and Middle Dutch haen. These all spawned from proto-Germanic hanh. As for heng, this arose from proto-Germanic kheng, from prehistoric Indo-European keng- 'to waver, be in suspense.' Through this, the English word is related to Old Frisian hangia 'be suspended, hang,' Old Saxon hangon, Middle Dutch and Dutch hangen, Old High German hangen, German hängen, Gothic hahan, Hittite gang- 'to hang,' Sanskrit sankate 'wavers,' and Latin cunctari 'to delay.' Modern English hang has two past participles: hung and hanged. Hanged was in use for many centuries before hung appeared, the latter being traced back to the 1500's with an originating location in Northern England. By the 1600's, hung had become the standard but hanged was still kept on, mostly to be used in legal settings to mean 'suspended by the neck.' We still see it used in some idiomatic expressions that branched off from the legal usage, such as "I'll be hanged if...."
Source
Francis

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 02:15 am
@OmSigDAVID,
This preface of the Treaty makes me laugh:

Quote:
and declares the intention of both parties to "forget all past misunderstandings and differences"
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 02:18 am
David wrote:
(trying to remember)

When life was so tender?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 03:01 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

That is true, as of now, and thru the 1900s.
It woud be interesting to know what the state of grammar
was in that respect, as of the time in question.

David

Quote:
hang, v. [hang, hāng]
-This verb has an unusual history to it. Middle English hangen 'hang' (circa 1130 CE) was a fusion of two Old English words from around 1000 CE: hon 'suspend' (transitive verb, past tense heng) and hangian, hongian 'be suspended' (intransitive verb, past tense hangode). It was also influenced by Old Norse hengja 'suspend' and hanga 'be suspended.' Hon is corresponds to Old Frisian hua 'suspend or hang,' Old Saxon, Old High German, and Gothic hahan, Middle Low German han, and Middle Dutch haen. These all spawned from proto-Germanic hanh. As for heng, this arose from proto-Germanic kheng, from prehistoric Indo-European keng- 'to waver, be in suspense.' Through this, the English word is related to Old Frisian hangia 'be suspended, hang,' Old Saxon hangon, Middle Dutch and Dutch hangen, Old High German hangen, German hängen, Gothic hahan, Hittite gang- 'to hang,' Sanskrit sankate 'wavers,' and Latin cunctari 'to delay.'

Modern English hang has two past participles: hung and hanged. Hanged was in use for many centuries before hung appeared, the latter being traced back to the 1500's with an originating location in Northern England.
By the 1600's, hung had become the standard but hanged was still kept on, mostly to be used in legal settings to mean 'suspended by the neck.' We still see it used in some idiomatic expressions that branched off from the legal usage
, such as "I'll be hanged if...."
Source
Thank u, Walter; good job.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 03:04 am
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

David wrote:
(trying to remember)

When life was so tender?
I saw that play; "The Fantastics"

David
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2010 03:40 pm

I found an article which JTT might like, or resent

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/jan/03/david-mitchell-english-language-grammar

It's quite good. David Mitchell is one of our rising smartarses.
JTT

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 07:44 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
If the innovation continued unchecked, unmonitored by Susie Dent, then the language would fragment into thousands of mutually incomprehensible dialects. The stickler-advocated rules of spelling, grammar and punctuation slow the speed of change and allow the language to remain united.

Why would I resent humor, McTag? Smile

Susie's monitoring has nothing to do with how language changes. She merely records that which has happened. And as much as this "stickler" likes to think that he is making a difference, he too, has no effect. It's like trying to get whales to stop using their blowholes for breathing.
oolongteasup

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 01:32 am
@JTT,
Quote:
whales to stop using their blowholes

uno woti hate woti rely rely hate

evolution

and verbing with renown
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 03:05 pm
My pet peeve for today is a commonly used American-English term: the best thing since sliced bread. What's so good about sliced bread? It's dry. It quickly loses its taste -- unless it had no taste to lose in the first place, which is likely for an American supermarket brand. And for what? The pre-slicing saves you merely a trivial amount of work. Nobody has ever complained about the hardship of cutting a slice from an uncut loaf of bread as needed. So why would any thinking American ever use this phrase? The only reason I can think of is to damn something with faint praise.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 03:13 pm
@Thomas,
I totally agree (English bread doesn't taste a lot better, sliced or not.)

But then: what was the best before sliced bread? Perhaps, if we know that, you'll have the answer to your question, Thomas.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 03:18 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Otto Frederick Rohwedder (July 7, 1880 " November 8, 1960) is an American inventor and engineer who created the first automatic bread-slicing machine for commercial use. It was first used by the Chillicothe Baking Company in Chillicothe, Missouri in 1928.
[...]
Rohwedder also studied optometry, graduating in 1900 with a degree in optics from what is now the Northern Illinois College of Ophthalmology and Otology in Chicago. He became a jeweler.
Source: wikipedia
Thomas

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 03:19 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
There are many things I don't miss about Germany. But I do miss the bread. A lot. (Sigh.)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 03:23 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

There are many things I don't miss about Germany. But I do miss the bread. A lot. (Sigh.)

In our small village, we've four baker shops, each with at least 10 different kinds of bread. Loafs of bread, which are sliced on demand in front of your eyes ...

And in my favourite supermarket, they've a stone oven and make bread three to four times daily. In loafs ...
Thomas

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 03:27 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
OK, now you're being cruel!
Francis

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 03:29 pm
@Thomas,
You surely know the meaning of Schadenfreude...
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 03:30 pm
@Thomas,
Aldi will introduce in-shop bakeries as well.

Oops, sorry. Didn't see your response until now. (Therefor I don't make a remark about fresh grilled Schweins- and Kalbhax'n or fresh boiled Weiswürstel ...)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 03:32 pm
@Francis,
Plaisir sadique sounds so ...
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 03:50 pm
@Thomas,

To slice a loaf you need a suitable knife and a large chopping board. If you haven't got these to hand, and you are hungry, you realise why sliced bread is such a good idea (and why sliced loaves outsell the unsliced by a huge margin, in the UK where tastes are so debased)

In our house, we buy both kinds. Some sliced breads are okay. Or you can buy strong cheese to take the taste away.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 04:36 pm
I suspect that you boys didn't get JTT' s permission in advance of engaging in this dubious discussion.

I pity the fools . . .
0 Replies