What are your pet peeves re English usage?

TNTABC123

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 09:54 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Francis, so maybe you speak Queens english, NOT Queen's english ;-)
oh, and i don't understand what you mean by "not if it's spelt the other way"
Francis

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 09:55 am
@TNTABC123,
You got it, I'm surprised!
TNTABC123

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 09:57 am
@Francis,
I aim to please!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 10:01 am
TTNABC123's response is lame (like the screen name). But kudo's to Francis for is observation about Queens, where they do talk funny. I'll be interested to know if JTT lambastes this joker for his comment about those who speak "slang"--alas, i never read his posts, so i'll never know.
TNTABC123

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 10:08 am
@Setanta,
TNTABC123

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 10:14 am
@TNTABC123,
sorry i meant to say PEOPLE from Queens
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 10:27 am
@TNTABC123,
TNTABC123 wrote:

Francis, so maybe you speak Queens english, NOT Queen's english ;-)
oh, and i don't understand what you mean by "not if it's spelt the other way"
If it is SPELLED: pronounciation
then it shoud be pronounced: pronounciation, not something else.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 10:30 am
@TNTABC123,
TNTABC123 wrote:

sorry i meant to say PEOPLE from Queens
What about those of us who r still IN it ?
0 Replies

TNTABC123

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 10:32 am
@OmSigDAVID,
no what i'm saying is that while i spell it pronounciation, it is meant to be said pronunciation, or at least according to what i was taught at school and what it apparently says in OED (Oxford English Dictionary), although i see your point.

I also think from means where you were born or have heritage or grew up or even still live, although i think you might be joking :-)
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 10:40 am
@TNTABC123,
TNTABC123 wrote:

no what i'm saying is that while i spell it pronounciation, it is meant to be said pronunciation, or at least according to what i was taught at school and what it apparently says in OED (Oxford English Dictionary), although i see your point.

I also think from means where you were born or have heritage or grew up or even still live, although i think you might be joking :-)
I am not from it,
if I am still in it (but I m going to dinner in Manhattan tonite).

If pronounciation differs from spelling then that does violence
to fundamental logic and reveals error.
TNTABC123

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 10:47 am
@OmSigDAVID,
yeah but loads of our words are spelt differently to how they sound, i admit it is mainly in the U.K. but America does it too, and you should see some others countries spelling and pronounciation of english, i barely understand it.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 11:15 am
@TNTABC123,
TNTABC123 wrote:

yeah but loads of our words are spelt differently to how they sound,
I propose that be ENDED.
JTT

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 11:28 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I propose that be ENDED.

And that's pretty much the extent of the great logician's proposal.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 08:53 pm
There is a city in Poland named Lodz.....any guesses on how it is pronounced phonetically???? You folks can beat up on David all you want, but if he did not have such a good grasp of grammer and word usage, he would not be able to point out the illogical parts. Just saying, just because you want to believe someone is stupid, doesn't make it so? And if wishes were needles, I'd have the whole world sewed up. Bet David has heard that saying before.
JTT

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 09:35 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
You folks can beat up on David all you want, but if he did not have such a good grasp of grammer and word usage, he would not be able to point out the illogical parts. Just saying, just because you want to believe someone is stupid, doesn't make it so?

David is no different than any other user of English. Everyone knows their grammar, everyone has a good grasp of grammar, intuitively.

But David can describe very little about the grammar of English because consciously he knows very little about grammar.

David isn't stupid but on this issue of spelling reform, he hasn't pointed out anything at all resembling logic so that makes him appear to be very stupid when it's really just ignorance.
McTag

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 01:31 am
@JTT,

Different THAN? Pu-leeze.
JTT

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 08:47 am
@McTag,
Hello, McTag.

It's not a good idea to joke about these nonsensical prescriptions. Doing so might leave some idiots to think that what you've jokingly written here has some validity.

That's how prescriptions start. Someone makes up something false about language and then a group of folk who fail to apply any thinking skills tend to spread the same false notion far and wide. It happens easily because there are so many gullible folk out there. This thread stands as a prime example.
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 11:36 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
David isn't stupid but on this issue of spelling reform, he hasn't pointed out anything at all resembling logic so that makes him appear to be very stupid when it's really just ignorance.

A very fine distinction.
McTag

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 01:37 pm
@JTT,

It might be good enough for you, matey, but it's not good enough for me.

My opinion is often much different to yours.
JTT

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 05:00 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
It might be good enough for you, matey, but it's not good enough for me.

My opinion is often much different to yours.

I have no problem with your opinion being different from mine, McTag, but you must realize that BrE does not set standards for NaE. It's simply a matter of different stokes for different dialects.