What are your pet peeves re English usage?

Clary

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 04:09 am
The correct form is: 'If I HAD known, I WOULD HAVE (conditional because it is conditional upon my knowing) killed the bastard.' If I would have known (or I'd have known) is a conditional without anything to be conditional upon.
That sounds over-complex but I think it's true.
0 Replies

A-glow

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 08:03 am
scoates
Quote:
Not even $200, but a mere 199.95!

Peeved by advertizers:
"Yes you can have it ALL for under a dollar!!!!"
(price 99 cents plus tax)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 04:02 pm
Does any one else remember Mary Roberts Reinhart's "Tish," sighing over and over , "Had I but known...."?
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 04:14 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
What Mc means is that in "If I'd have known" you're getting redundantly tongue-tied. What you're saying is "If I had have known", which is grammatically absurd.

No, it's "If I would have known." Still I think I understand, but I'll continue to say it. Smile
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 10:36 am
Can someone give me a basic rule to determine when to use "WHO" and when to use "WHOM"? It has always puzzled me. Thanks!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 10:59 am
Grand Duke wrote:
Can someone give me a basic rule to determine when to use "WHO" and when to use "WHOM"? It has always puzzled me. Thanks!

Yes. "Who" is used (as an interrogative pronoun?) as the subject of a sentence only.

example: Who did this?

Otherwise, use "whom"

example:

A frisky young miss from Khartoum
Took a ladyboy up to her room
As they lay on the bed
She turned and she said
Who does what, and with what, and to whom?

-But everyone breaks the strict rules now. For example, most would say "Who does this belong to" rather that the clunky "To whom does this belong", or worse "whom does this belong to" which sounds awful, but is correct, I believe.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 03:58 pm
What Mc said.

You use 'who' when it is the subject of a sentence. 'whom' if it's the object. Thus, if it follows a preposition, it is always 'whom' as in To whom it may concern. But it would be Who is concerned with this?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 12:12 pm
I don't like it when people say "wet" for "whet" and "wen" for "when" and "wales" for "whales".

I've even seen "wet your appetite" written by people who should have known better; it's risible.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 02:00 pm
uh...I hesitate to ask...but how do you pronounce those wh words, Mc? The haitch is silent, is it not?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 04:07 pm
I don't pronounce "wh" like "w", no siree. It's one of the many advantages of being Scottish. Laughing
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 04:31 am
McTag

My mother also bemoans the loss of "wh" sound - slightly aspirated - in currently spoken English. I don't think I use the "wh" sound very much but I can still spell with it!

KP
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 06:09 am
Why do we use "message" and "messaging", but also "messanger" with an "N"?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 06:24 am
Grand Duke wrote:
Why do we use "message" and "messaging", but also "messanger" with an "N"?

That's a good one, because messenger and passenger come directly from the French messager and passager.

And the answer is, because we do. Smile
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 02:24 pm
I believe I have seen the word 'messager' used in a historical novel to describe one sending a message via a smoke signal or semaphore or some such. If my memory is intact, then, it would appear that the inclusion of the 'n' in messenger indicates that he merely carries a message but is not the initiator thereof. That would be the messager, the one who actually sends the message.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 02:32 pm
Personally, i feel that any Andrew who might be merry would have no pet peeves, regarding language, or any other topic . . . of course, to be amidmost to many of the Angle-ish might peeve one somewhat . . .
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 04:48 pm
And up yours, too, Set, old friend. Smile
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 09:13 am
Prolly. Can you believe a lot of people think that is how "probably" is spelled?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 09:21 am
I can scarcely believe that. Some write it that way in jest, of course.
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 01:27 pm
Speaking of a lot--a lot of people write it "alot".
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 11:03 am
yuk
0 Replies