What are your pet peeves re English usage?

McTag

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 05:50 pm
A relative of mine starts many a sentence with

"Well, you say that, but..."

and it's beginning to grate.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 07:02 pm
Laughing oh I know .... one of my daughters when little used to answer everything with 'yeah but....' for a while and the other at a similar age said 'ah but ...' constantly - we called her Arbert for a while.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 09:48 pm
I instinctively distrust any person who begins by saying, "I'll tell you the truth..." or "To be honest about it..." If one has to preface a sentence that way, I begin to suspect that this is not a normally truthful person.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 02:22 am
Yes, I have a friend who insists on saying 'to be honest', usually when he's just saying no he doesn't want something that's been suggested - and although I've told him it sounds as though he isn't generally honest and this is a great exception, he persists. It gets on my nerves MORE THAN SOMEWHAT.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 02:22 pm
This is not a peeve but an observation; and not a totally original one, but I had forgotten about it for a while.

There are words in the negative that don't have a positive, at least not one we ever use. For example: unprecedented, untramelled, unabashed, unfettered, incalculable...........there are better examples of this but I can't think of any right now.

Can you supply more?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 02:23 pm
I withdraw "unabashed", that's wrong. Substitute "inconsolable".
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 03:19 pm
McTag--

Shakespeare is a great source (graveyard?) for Lost Positives.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 03:24 pm
McT -- those aren't really good examples you gave. Every one of your examples can be used in a positive sense by removing the prefix un--. However, I've never known anyone to be gruntled, while most of us are disgruntled at one time or another. Nor do I know anyone who's ever been mayed.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 03:28 pm
For some reason I've been saying "actually" a lot in the past week. I don't know where it came from, but it's on its way back out.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 05:53 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
McT -- those aren't really good examples you gave. Every one of your examples can be used in a positive sense by removing the prefix un--. However, I've never known anyone to be gruntled, while most of us are disgruntled at one time or another. Nor do I know anyone who's ever been mayed.

Couth! ravelled. Discounting archaic or poetic use

"Sleep, the gentle sleep
That knits the ravelled sleeve of care..."

Yes I know they COULD be used but ARE they no they're not. Which I said before.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 06:11 pm
No pet peeves.

Methought I heard a voice cry "Sleep no more!

Macbeth does murder sleep, the innocent sleep,

Sleep that knits up the ravell'd sleave of care,

The death of each day's life, sore labour's bath,

Balm of hurt minds, great nature's second course,

Chief nourisher in life's feast." (2.2.32-37)

Regardless of how Willie says it, it is the most beautiful sound that I have ever heard.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 06:58 pm
Good point re: ravelled, McT. Actually 'ravelled' and 'unravelled' are words that mean the same thing whether the prefix is affixed or not. Sort of like 'flammable' and 'inflammable.' Not quite in the same category are words that can take one prefix, but not its opposite, e.g. preliminary. There is no postliminary, is there? Apropos of that, is congress the opposite of progress?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 01:51 am
Unparallelled.

We don't talk of parallelled, do we? Hardly.

And yet the word has two sets of parallel lines in it. A kind of visual onomatawhatsit. What are the chances of that, eh?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 01:56 am
Unkempt does not have kempt as an opposite but I believe this will come from the German kaemmen meaning to comb, so of course these words had a positive at one time, now fallen into disuse.

I must be in a good mood, I can't think of a peeve today.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 03:40 am
onomatawhatsit

I like this one!!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 10:14 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
Good point re: ravelled, McT. Actually 'ravelled' and 'unravelled' are words that mean the same thing whether the prefix is affixed or not. Sort of like 'flammable' and 'inflammable.' Not quite in the same category are words that can take one prefix, but not its opposite, e.g. preliminary. There is no postliminary, is there? Apropos of that, is congress the opposite of progress?

not quite the same meaning - ravelled can mean frayed but it also means tangled whereas unravelling can be untangling but also coming undone (unwoven - frayed)

rav·el (rvl)
v. rav·eled also rav·elled, rav·el·ing also rav·el·ling, rav·els also rav·els
v.tr.
1. To separate the fibers or threads of (cloth, for example); unravel.
2. To clarify by separating the aspects of.
3. To tangle or complicate.
v.intr.
1. To become separated into its component threads; unravel or fray.
2. To become tangled or confused.
n.
1. A raveling.
2. A broken or discarded thread.
3. A tangle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Obsolete Dutch ravelen, from ravel, loose thread.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that quote takes me back - I did a series of images and made an artists book about how bored and trapped I felt in a job I was doing during my degree and called it Ravelled Sleaves Very Happy

There was a bit in it based on 'not waving but drowning' as well
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 02:44 pm
I stand corrected, Vivien. It was Shakespeare's phrase -- knitting up the "ravelled sleeve" -- that made me think the two words both referred to threads coming apart. Good job.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 12:14 am
Okay here's a peeve. Some authors drop French quotations about freely in their articles and I think it can be easily overdone, especially when a suitable English word or phrase can be substituted.
It can be pretentious, and can exclude some of the readership. Or maybe that's the purpose, that, or to show off.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 03:18 am
McTag wrote:
Okay here's a peeve. Some authors drop French quotations about freely in their articles and I think it can be easily overdone, especially when a suitable English word or phrase can be substituted.
It can be pretentious, and can exclude some of the readership. Or maybe that's the purpose, that, or to show off.

...not even to mention Latin!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 05:57 am
Embarrassed

Err.....um.....certainly not you, Andrew, since you provide a translation.

:wink:

I do put in the occasional bon mot myself, n'est-ce pas, but I'm stuck for peeves today.
0 Replies