What are your pet peeves re English usage?

Noddy24

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 09:15 pm
McTag--

Triples of decades and dozens, scores and centuries, I can understand.

Pairs of 10's and 12's, 20's and 100's strike me as a bit pretentious--ostentatious literacy.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 03:18 am
Clary wrote:
No, west and east are not so distinguised. But we have a good big division of north and south (a novel by Mrs Gaskell called 'North and South' even)- no actual line - for Londoners it's said to be anywhere north of Watford (i e 15 miles away) but I guess it's really north of Birmingham. It's still thought that the north is more industrial, poorer - but like all generalisations, only marginally true.
Distinguishing feature really is the flat A in the north, in words like bath, can't, etc. Northist remarks prevail in the south - can't say whether the reverse is true, being an unrepentant southerner!

North of Birmingham is north???? now there speaks a southerner! Derbyshire northwards is north. Birmingham/Leicester/Nottingham are still Midlands - we ain't north!

Also there is a strong West Country difference - the softer burr in the accent and a difference somehow in attititude. Somerset downwards isn't the south but the west surely?

Oh yes, southerner remarks prevail in the Midlands, the north and Scotland! (I've lived in most at various times) Where I lived in the far north of Scotland, southerners included the lowland Scots - a different species from the Highland Scots Very Happy
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 03:39 am
Noddy24 wrote:
McTag--

Triples of decades and dozens, scores and centuries, I can understand.

Pairs of 10's and 12's, 20's and 100's strike me as a bit pretentious--ostentatious literacy.

Well suit yourself. We can agree to differ about that. I am happy to be literate, and I confess to a little pretension at times- so far as is appropriate for a mere Scot, that is. Very Happy

(just wondering also, what a triple decade is.....)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 09:56 am
McTag--

A triple decade is a sweet young thing of either sex who chooses to remain thirty-ish forever.
0 Replies

Kedge

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 05:43 am
When people call their PIN a "PIN Nunmber".......What does the "N" in PIN stand for!!!!

What is a Personal Identification Number number????

Sorry it just gets to me. Smile

Kedge
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 06:03 am
Anyone list the phrase "same difference"?

Hell, it's either the same or it's different!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 06:03 am
pin numbers Laughing ... they are probably just trying to remember which of the fourteen they use, they should use.

Why do we English speakers go back and forth? Mustn't one go forth before one can go back?
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 02:14 pm
we could go to and fro - I suppose hither and yon has the same back first problem... but are other languages any better? ça et la, hin und her, adelante y atras...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 02:26 pm
Joe Nation asked:

Quote:
Why do we English speakers go back and forth? Mustn't one go forth before one can go back?

Obviously the phrase was coined by a weaver rather than a walker.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 02:47 pm
Noddy: what an interesting notion...

Joe
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 04:06 pm
God speaks to Our President on occasion, but the Norns whisper in my ears all the time.

Thanks for the kind words, Joe.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 05:19 pm
ragman(orig) wrote:
Anyone list the phrase "same difference"?

Hell, it's either the same or it's different!

I disagree, "same difference" could be useful in describing a trend of difference between sets of multiple items.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 07:09 am
That's right!
There are various small hotels in Thailand called 'Same-same but different'.

I didn't used to... is that still regarded as WRONG?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 03:06 pm
You mean it's right? It looks weird. A bit colloquial? (but what is the alternative? It's a useful construction)
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 08:10 pm
of course it's wrong grammatically.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 09:01 am
My father, a diehard grammarian, would say it should be either 'I used not to' or 'I didn't use to', like 'I dared not, I didn't dare.'

I still don't use it, I say I usedn't to but it does sound rather clumsy. It does seem very commonly said and written, 'I didn't used to'

And have I mentioned before this phenomenon of saying 'If I'd have known, I wouldn't have come' instead of 'If I had known, I wouldn't have come.' It's very prevalent among the Ozzies.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 11:20 am
I think I'd go with your father's judgement on that one, Clary, especially in the written version: "I used not to" is the only one which looks right to me.

Of course, "I usedn't to" is the same, but it looks and sounds wrong to me.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 11:08 pm
What's wrong with "If I'd have known"?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 12:05 am
SCoates wrote:
What's wrong with "If I'd have known"?

I think the "have" is redundant. It has no real meaning here; or, it doesn't contribute to the intended meaning.

Also, "I'd have known" expects an "if": as in, I'd have known if I'd listened more carefully.

I don't think I explained that very well. Anyone?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 03:44 am
What Mc means is that in "If I'd have known" you're getting redundantly tongue-tied. What you're saying is "If I had have known", which is grammatically absurd.
0 Replies