What are your pet peeves re English usage?

Letty

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 06:14 am
Me neither, Roberta. I am getting a mite weary of hearing TV reporters say "continue on", however, and I just discovered why many who should know better mispronounce zoologist. All they see is "zoo", and do not bother to look at the rest of the spelling.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 09:09 am
Feh? Up here we say "Meh" Smile
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 02:34 pm
Mame, Took a look around on the Web for definitions of feh. Far more than expected. Also looked for meh. Live and loin.

The feh I said has one origin and one meaning. It's from the Yiddish. It's the exclamation you would make make if something doesn't smell or taste good (like a rotten egg)--from the German phui (I think). The defintion can extend to things you don't like in a particular way--things you might have a distate for.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 03:48 pm
Meh:

Meh means rubbish. It means boring. It means not worth the effort, who cares, so-so, whatever. It is the all-purpose dismissive shrug of the blogger and messageboarder. And it is ubiquitous. On the I Love Music messageboard, for example, 4,010 separate discussion threads feature the use of "meh".
No one is quite sure where it comes from. Graeme Diamond, principal editor of the new word group at the Oxford English Dictionary, says it's not yet suitable for the OED, but he does have a "meh" file, and the first recorded print usage occurred in the Edmonton Sun newspaper in Canada in 2003: "Ryan Opray got voted off Survivor. Meh."

He thinks, however, it sprang into common usage from the Simpsons.

I can enlighten him further. Some credit the 2001 episode Hungry Hungry Homer with the first use of "meh" as a dismissal, when Homer asks Lisa and Bart if they want to go to the Blockoland theme park and receives the answer, "meh". But the Language Log website notes a 1995 episode in which Bart dismisses Marge's discussion of weaving with a "meh".

Some amateur etymologists on the web reckon meh is derived from Yiddish, pointing to a 1936 song that uses it as the sound of a goat bleating. A poster on Artblog.net called it a "Yiddish interjection used to express disdain that borders on apathy", but did not source it. "Many North American English interjections do have some basis in Yiddish," accepts Diamond. But does this one? "I can't say."

In any case, the word needs to pass into "widespread unselfconscious usage" before it will feature in the OED, he says. And with a print lifespan of just four years, so far, that is some distance away. But does he think it's becoming more common? "Well, I had fishcakes at lunchtime and I told someone they were ... meh."

~~~

I learned this from my nephew and his teenaged buddies. Meh. LOL
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 05:41 pm
Mame wrote:
Meh:

"Well, I had fishcakes at lunchtime and I told someone they were ... meh."

~~~

A good word to know, Mame. Thanks for the info. Don't know if it will enter into my daily lexicon, but now if I hear the word, I won't think the speaker has a speach impediment.

Usage is slightyly different for feh.

"Well, I had fishcakes at lunchtime." "So how were they?" "Feh. I bit too fishy for my taste."

Of course the above feh could easily roll into eh, suggesting just so so.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 06:58 pm
Well, I already use two of those, so I think I'll add "feh" to my vocab. Thanks for the definition Smile If someone asks me how my dinner was, I can say, Meh! Feh, eh?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 09:58 pm
Love this. What an articulate woman you are.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 12:13 pm
Letty wrote:
Me neither, Roberta. I am getting a mite weary of hearing TV reporters say "continue on", however, and I just discovered why many who should know better mispronounce zoologist. All they see is "zoo", and do not bother to look at the rest of the spelling.

I guess a zoologist (pronounced zoo) is somebody who studies zoos and should be spelled zooologist.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 12:20 pm
I've all ready posted this long ago, but it deserves revisiting because nobody seems to be listening. Dissection is pronounced dis-section' not die-section, just as dissent is not die-sent', and dissolve is not die-solve'.
I believe dissection is confused with bisection, which is pronounced bie-section.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 12:23 pm
I think that's up to the speaker, coluber... you can advance an alternative argument for the pronunciation of many words, such as "private" and "privacy" - in the UK, at least.

Can't think of any off-hand, but I don't believe all words keep their basic pronunciation when endings are added.

Here's another example of how word pronunciation changes, however: contemplate - emphasis on first syllable, yet contemplation - emphasis on third.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 12:32 pm
coluber2001 wrote:
I guess a zoologist (pronounced zoo) is somebody who studies zoos and should be spelled zooologist.

Reminds me of a classic moment in my childhood: I was in 2nd or 3rd grade and our teacher, having taught us bio means life and geo means earth, etc., told us that any of these words can be combined with ology, which means the study of. Thus he asked, "What would you call the study of life?" One of my classmates answered in complete earnestness, "Ologybio."
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 07:10 am
That makes perfect sense to me, Shapeless.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 11:19 am
Me too!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2007 06:07 am
Good joke, but -ology is a suffix.

Who was it played Djangology? Charlie Parker?
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2007 11:34 pm
Reinhart himself did "Djangology." Perhaps you are thinking of Parker's "Ornithology"?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 02:37 am
Perhaps I am. Embarrassed Thank you.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 04:00 am
"Ornithology" seems appropriated for "The bird"...

Btw, Django was a neighbour here...
0 Replies

Aa

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 09:39 am
It's a simple and generally safe rule of thumb to think of "-ology" as a suffix that means "the study of". However, a closer look indicates that in origin, "-o-" is only a combining form, and "-logy" means "word".
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 10:18 am
Okay then, logybio, if it pleases you.

Smile
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 01:27 pm
Pet peeve number one:

the damnable phrase 'the same difference'

Now look - either something is the same or it's different!

Pet peeve number 2 (back to punctuation misusage):

How to properly distinguish between plural form and a possessive pronoun -- e.g. CDs ... NOT CD's. As in this scenario: "How many CDs are there in the collection?" However this is NOT the same as "The shiny side of a CD's reflection". This misusage is very common in communication and media in general and blurs and muddies the language.
0 Replies