What are your pet peeves re English usage?

McTag

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 10:52 am
Jane Goody has considerably more weight (in the literal sense only) than a butterfly flapping its wings.

But yes, this seems the height of ludicrousness. Also though, the controllers of BB must have known what they were going to get/hear when they mixed that bunch of loudmouth low-lifes with a classy Indian actress.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 03:29 pm
To win either the Steve or the McTaggie awards would mean a life fulfilled. Embarrassed

Indeed, I'm sufficiently gratified by the nominations.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 04:49 pm
I couldn't believe the storm in a teacup that was Jade (I think) Goodie's contretemps with Shilpa the rather spoilt Bollywood celeb; Gordi Brown even had to apologise in India for heaven's sake. The gutter media have really hit rock bottom.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2007 04:24 pm
JLNobody wrote:
JTT, obviously, if I COULDN'T care less, that means that I do not care at all. And if I COULD care less, that means that I do care to some degree.

Usually when people say "I COULD care less", they really mean to say that they COULDN'T care less, that they do not care at all. But they simply are not listening to what they are saying.

JLN, when people say "he kicked the bucket", they can mean two things, one much less drastic than another. Language is what language is. McTag pointed out that with the right intonation,

"That's great, that's just great"

can have the opposite meaning to the words used. Such is the nature of language. People can whine and kvetch to their heart's content but what you must understand, and I say this with no hard feelings or rancor, that doesn't amount to a handful of beans. All languages have their own logic.

Quote:

A tin ear for stress and melody, and an obliviousness to the principles of discourse and rhetoric, are important tools of the trade for the language maven. Consider an alleged atrocity committed by today's youth: the expression [I could care less].

The teenagers are trying to express disdain, the adults note, in which case they should be saying [I couldn't care less]. If they could care less than they do, that means that they really do care, the opposite of what they are trying to say.

But if these dudes would stop ragging on teenagers and scope out the construction, they would see that their argument is bogus. The melodies and stresses are completely different, and for a good reason.

The second version is not illogical, it's [sarcastic]. The point of sarcasm is that by making an assertion that is manifestly false or accompanied by ostentatiously mannered intonation, one deliberately implies its opposite. A good paraphrase is, "Oh yeah, as if there were something in the world that I care less about."

http://pinker.wjh.harvard.edu/articles/media/1994_01_24_thenewrepublic.html

Quote:

The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language

For many Americans speakers [CdE too] the expression I couldn't care less has lost its negation and the expression is now I could care less, still with the idiomatic meaning "i do not care at all". For these speakers, care less is no longer an NPI [negatively-oriented polarity sensitive item]; could care less has become an idiom with a negative meaning (approximately the opposite of its literal meaning). This is not an uncommon development; it is seen again in the development from "I don't know beans about it "I don't know anything about it" to I know beans about it with the same meaning.

[at page 829 fn18]

Other common collocations that have lost their NPI;

[Subject] don't/doesn't know diddly/****/squat/jack about [something]

-->>

[Subject] know(s) diddly/****/squat/jack about [something]
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2007 05:22 pm
I can see how after much time "I don't know beans about it" has come to have the same meaning as its "opposite", "I know beans about it."
But I don't think sufficient time has passed for that to have occured between "I could care less" and "I could NOT care less." It does seem to me that the opposite meanings remain real and that "I could care less" is a simple function of carelessness.

By the way, could "I DON'T know beans about it" have the same meaning as "I know [ONLY] beans about it" ?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 10:50 am
JLNobody wrote:
I can see how after much time "I don't know beans about it" has come to have the same meaning as its "opposite", "I know beans about it."
But I don't think sufficient time has passed for that to have occured between "I could care less" and "I could NOT care less." It does seem to me that the opposite meanings remain real and that "I could care less" is a simple function of carelessness.

It isn't a question of time, JLN. It's that when a structure is available to users of a language, it can be expanded to include other word collocations. It would be interesting, I suppose, to have been there the first time the phrase under contention was used but even then, is it at all possible that the speaker meant to say that he/she cared a good or great deal? It hardly seems sensible.

By the way, could "I DON'T know beans about it" have the same meaning as "I know [ONLY] beans about it" ?

I think that's entirely possible, JLN.

0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 11:02 am
Very good, JTT, a fine arrangement of ideas.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 12:50 pm
Here's a pet peeve of mine: discovering that I've been mispronouncing a word after years of use.

Most recent peeve issue: talking about the new film BABEL. Turns out my pronunciation is 2nd-rate and likely a med-western foible.

Sheesh.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 01:20 pm
JTT wrote:
All languages have their own logic.

Indeed. So explain please in plain English how

I could care less = I could not care less.

Thanks.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 01:28 pm
"Of course your honour...when I said to the driver, the bridge can carry the weight, I meant with implied sarcasm, that the bridge could not carry the weight. I cannot therefore be responsible for the deaths of all those children, as it was the driver's stupidity in not recognising modern English grammar".
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 03:32 pm
Piffka wrote:
Here's a pet peeve of mine: discovering that I've been mispronouncing a word after years of use.

Most recent peeve issue: talking about the new film BABEL. Turns out my pronunciation is 2nd-rate and likely a med-western foible.

Sheesh.

We always pronounced it BAY-bl. How do they pronounce it in Hollywood?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 04:45 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
JTT wrote:
All languages have their own logic.

Indeed. So explain please in plain English how

I could care less = I could not care less.

Thanks.

Steve,

Please take this in the measure it's being given for I must admit to liking you [and the vast majority of your ideas that I've been exposed to] despite having, at least once, used unkind words in addressing you.

I couldn't possibly explain it to one who has a preconceived notion of what it SHOULD mean, Steve.

I could possibly explain it to one who has a preconceived notion of what it SHOULD mean, Steve.

Are these two sentences opposite in meaning because one sentence uses the negative form <couldn't> and the other uses the positive form <could>?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 04:47 pm
McTag wrote:
Piffka wrote:

Sheesh.

We always pronounced it BAY-bl. How do they pronounce it in Hollywood?

Is this as in The Tower of Babel? Did 'babble' have any connection to this word, McTag?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 02:55 am
JTT wrote:

I couldn't possibly explain it to one who has a preconceived notion of what it SHOULD mean, Steve.

I could possibly explain it to one who has a preconceived notion of what it SHOULD mean, Steve.

Are these two sentences opposite in meaning because one sentence uses the negative form <couldn't> and the other uses the positive form <could>?
Yes. Absolutely they are. I'm not being a pedant here. One can play all sorts of games with words without affecting meaning. But there are certain basic rules - the "not" operator being one - that you cant leave out without fundamentally changing the meaning of the sentence. (See my example of the courtroom scene previous page). Or rather if you can leave out words like "not", and meaning is just in the mind of the speaker rather than in the words he uses to express that meaning, we may as well pack in spoken English completely.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 03:00 am
Absobloodylutely, Steve!
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 03:09 am
Clary wrote:
Absobloodylutely, Steve!
Morning Clary. How ya diddlin? Any containers of loot washed up near you?
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 03:10 am
Nah, they're all Up East. Besides, you might get the poisonous one instead of the Perfumes of Araby.

Nice morning here, blue sky 'n' all. With you?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 03:16 am
BBC wrote:
Of the 200 that have gone overboard, one contained battery acid and perfumes, and one small gas bottles for car airbags.

Others housed a variety of goods including BMW motorbikes[/b] and car parts.
bloody hell only just read this...on my way. I thoroughly approve of shipwrecking as boon the the local economy. Lets hope it comes back into fashion.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 03:22 am
Wrecker Steve hits Devon Coast - hope you fall off your BMW into the River Sid
http://www.reveszp.nildram.co.uk/eos350/winter2.JPG
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 03:38 am
cold dull some light rain here...could be getting brighter...or is that just daylight...?

Anyhoo River Sid looks bit too cold to chance a dip so have decided to postpone Operation Sealion. At least until full air superiority established.
0 Replies