What are your pet peeves re English usage?

JTT

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 07:30 pm
You say tomato, I say tomato, Letty.

Quote:

M-W online:

Hang

1 b : to suspend by the neck until dead -- often hanged in the past; often used as a mild oath <I>.

0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 07:47 pm
Well, JTT. My mom really did say to MAH toes, but I never heard anyone say po TAH toes.

Shall we call the whole thing off? Razz
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 08:14 pm
Letty wrote:
Well, JTT. My mom really did say to MAH toes, but I never heard anyone say po TAH toes.

Shall we call the whole thing off? Razz

Sure, let's do that, Letty, 'ceptin for one little thing. I forgot to add the pertinent section. Embarrassed

Quote:

M-W online:

Hang

1 b : to suspend by the neck until dead -- often hanged in the past; often used as a mild oath <I>.

usage For both transitive and intransitive senses 1b the past and past participle hung, as well as hanged, is standard. Hanged is most appropriate for official executions <he> but hung is also used <gave>. Hung is more appropriate for less formal hangings <by morning I'll be hung in effigy -- Ronald Reagan>.

0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 09:15 pm
Hang it all! Can't we suspend our differences of opinion for a moment? I'm at the end of my rope.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 09:36 pm
Undoubtedly this has already been said (perhaps by me), but I COULD CARE LESS.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 01:05 am
Let's hang together, or we may hang separately. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 01:09 am
JTT wrote:
You say tomato, I say tomato, Letty.

Quote:

M-W online:

Hang

Letty is right, I think, with the "hanged" and "hung" distinction.

The M-W Online definition seems wrong to me, or incomplete.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 02:07 am
McTag wrote:
Letty is right, I think, with the "hanged" and "hung" distinction.

The M-W Online definition seems wrong to me, or incomplete.

Quote:
Main Entry: hang
Inflected Form(s): hung \h\; also hanged; hung also hanged; hanging; hangs

[...]
intransitive verb
1 [...]
b (1) : to die or become dead by hanging -- sometimes hanged in the past he hanged for his crimes

"hang." Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged. Merriam-Webster, 2002. http://unabridged.merriam-webster.com (18 Jan. 2007).
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 03:42 am
We hung a new picture this morning

They hanged a man yesterday

It makes perfect sense to me.....and we need both forms.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 08:01 am
JLNobody wrote:
Undoubtedly this has already been said (perhaps by me), but I COULD CARE LESS.
Glad you care.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 05:03 pm
The problem with "I could care less" is that it says the opposite of what the speaker means. It is a stupidity, whereas an error like "irregardless" (instead of irrespective or regardless) is no more than a lack of knowledge.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 05:03 pm
The problem with "I could care less" is that it says the opposite of what the speaker means. It is a stupidity, whereas an error like "irregardless" (instead of irrespective or regardless) is no more than a lack of knowledge.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 05:04 pm
I prefer to be hung than hanged...anyday.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 05:12 pm
Love it, JL. You finally saw what "the other" was. Razz
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 06:52 pm
JLNobody wrote:
The problem with "I could care less" is that it says the opposite of what the speaker means. It is a stupidity, ...

You're not really trying to suggest that "S could could less" means that "S care(s) a great deal", are you, JLN?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 10:43 pm
JTT, obviously, if I COULDN'T care less, that means that I do not care at all. And if I COULD care less, that means that I do care to some degree.

Usually when people say "I COULD care less", they really mean to say that they COULDN'T care less, that they do not care at all. But they simply are not listening to what they are saying.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 01:44 am
JLNobody wrote:
JTT, obviously, if I COULDN'T care less, that means that I do not care at all. And if I COULD care less, that means that I do care to some degree.

Usually when people say "I COULD care less", they really mean to say that they COULDN'T care less, that they do not care at all. But they simply are not listening to what they are saying.

And this week's Steve Award for plain, logical English goes to....JLNobody!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 01:50 am
In our land, we have a word "inflammable" which means that the article in question will burn.

Now we seem to have adopted, especially in labelling of manufactured goods, the American usage "flammable" which means the same.

I prefer the original. And it's stupid having two words which look like opposties for the same thing. I think "flammable" was invented for no good reason.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 03:41 am
McTag, flammable was invented because many illiterates thought that "inflammable" meant that the contents would not burn. It's the same way with many road signs that show pictures as opposed to the written word.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 05:08 am
McTag wrote:
JLNobody wrote:

And this week's Steve Award for plain, logical English goes to....JLNobody!
And I'll nominate him for a McTaggie.

My pet peeve is Esturine. Our american friends wont understand this but it nearly caused a war with India this week. Jane ? Goody in the Big Brother house pronounced "whale" as "wayoow" in typical chav/esturine English. The middle class Indian girl didnt understand. Anyway charges of racism followed and street protests in India. (I'm not making this up...or am I? Someone please tell me I've gone mad)
0 Replies